Do I even Have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adanx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 2nd year college student. My freshamn year was bad. I dropped a class and finnished with a 3.0 gpa. Curently in my 2nd year of college and am having trouble in school I dropped 2 more classes (mom lost job so I had to get more hours to help at home). ANd I'm bearly passing gen chem 1 wtf. I always wanted to be a doctor. Not for my family or the MD title but for me. I want to help people regardless of cheesy and cliche that sounds. I decied that Im doing a 5 year plan and doing summer classes. If I do well from next semester on, will the door to med school open for me? My adviosr is an ass and keeps telling me to switch my career path but I'm very stubborn and will not change my mind. It is my dream to be a doctor. I just want to know from all of you if im being realistic. Thank you guys so much.

Members don't see this ad.

You will need to figure out how to manage your life issues and college.

Then ace everything from now on.

But keep in mind that words are easy, doing is harder.

I'm a 2nd year college student. My freshamn year was bad. I dropped a class and finnished with a 3.0 gpa. Curently in my 2nd year of college and am having trouble in school I dropped 2 more classes (mom lost job so I had to get more hours to help at home). ANd I'm bearly passing gen chem 1 wtf. I always wanted to be a doctor. Not for my family or the MD title but for me. I want to help people regardless of cheesy and cliche that sounds. I decied that Im doing a 5 year plan and doing summer classes. If I do well from next semester on, will the door to med school open for me? My adviosr is an ass and keeps telling me to switch my career path but I'm very stubborn and will not change my mind. It is my dream to be a doctor. I just want to know from all of you if im being realistic. Thank you guys so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure why you are calling your advisor an ass: he/she seems to have an accurate assessment of your abilities based on the evidence you have given them so far. You need to step up and prove them wrong by getting good grades and no more dropped classes. I bet that if you do that they will change their mind. But I bet they've also seen dozens of mediocre students with unrealistic expectations - which, until you prove otherwise is what you seem to be at the moment.

If you are having trouble learning how to study, I am sure your college has resources to help you. So get onto sorting that GenChem course asap.

Your mother losing her job is not nearly the sort of life crisis that other's here have gone through while at college. You need to think hard about not throwing your chances away because of it or using it as an excuse. Think of her as a grown and competent woman who needs to sort out her own work and financial situation.

Are you a non-native English speaker? What else besides your mom losing her job do you think is holding you back?
Like the posters above me I agree that you technically still push yourself up if you start getting straight A's but like Goro said... easier said than done.. specially as classes get harder.