Do I give up? Do I just accept the fact? Here's the situation, what do I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RemiLeDentiste

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post and I wanted to thank everyone for all the great advice I have read on this network time and time again.

I'm a senior undergrad VCU student who got accepted into UMD Dental a couple months ago. However, I'm still waiting to hear back from VCU school of dentistry (my in-state school), at what point do I give up waiting to hear back from them? I was interviewed on September 2nd 2008 at VCU and until now I haven't received a reject letter or any notification whatsoever. I'm fine with getting a reject letter but at the same time I would really like some closure. This whole process has been an emotional roller coaster and I just want it to be all said and done. Thanks for your insight, if there's a need for clarification please feel free to ask any questions.

Members don't see this ad.

I've read ( here on sdn) about some people getting acceptances as late as August. The only suggestion I can make is to make your deposit at UMD if you plan on going there if VCU doesnt pan out, and if you get accepted to VCU, well then the deposit would be lost of course (and some other lucky ind. gets the surprise of their life), but it would probably save you more money in the long run since its your state school. Congrats on your acceptance :)

This might be a bit obvious and you prob have done this already, but have you contacted VCU and told them that their school is your #1 and wanted an update on the status of your app? Let them know you have another acceptance and a second deposit coming up but really want to go to their school and only want to get a, "Yes or F-Off" kinda thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have already paid the deposits to Maryland, and I e-mailed Dr. Healy (dean of admissions at VCU) in february with the following:

"Dear Dr. Healy,

I hope your days are going well. I recently received an offer of admission to the University of Maryland Dental School. As you can imagine, the decision to accept this offer is very difficult since VCU is my number one choice for many reasons. I have until the 17th of February before I have to make a deposit, and I was just wondering if there have been any updates regarding the status of my application.
"

HIS Response:

"You should deposit with UMD because our next meeting will be after that date. Congratulations. Lets keep our fingers crossed."

Am I suppose to read between the lines here?
I guess I will call their office tomorrow and ask what the deal is. Any more advice would be great

HIS Response:
"You should deposit with UMD because our next meeting will be after that date. Congratulations. Lets keep our fingers crossed."

I guess I will call their office tomorrow and ask what the deal is. Any more advice would be great

You sent them an e-mail, gave them an ultimatum, got a response, and now you want to contact them to "ask what the deal is"? Incidentally, there doesn't appear to be anything between the lines even under magnification.

Last edited:
Dr. Healy gave you the same answer any one of us would have told you given that they knew when the next committee meeting was. The deposit for UMD is before the committee meeting. So if you don't pay the deposit, you lose your seat and you will have to pray that you get into VCU. Get your name on the list at VCU first and worry about getting into VCU second. Don't make any assumptions. Just use some common sense. Congrats on UMD btw. :thumbup:

I have already paid the deposits to Maryland, and I e-mailed Dr. Healy (dean of admissions at VCU) in february with the following:

"Dear Dr. Healy,

I hope your days are going well. I recently received an offer of admission to the University of Maryland Dental School. As you can imagine, the decision to accept this offer is very difficult since VCU is my number one choice for many reasons. I have until the 17th of February before I have to make a deposit, and I was just wondering if there have been any updates regarding the status of my application.
"

HIS Response:

"Dear Dr. Healy,

"

HIS Response:

Take that advice!! I also would NOT call the school, it only really irritates them. Do you know how many calls they get every day basically asking to get accepted and effectively giving an unsolicited secondary phone interview? I was in the dean's office waiting room @ UCSF for about 20 min and heard Mr. MacKenzie (sp?) take 3 calls, all were people doing the above. He looked so irritated!

Hey guys, this is my first post and I wanted to thank everyone for all the great advice I have read on this network time and time again.

I'm a senior undergrad VCU student who got accepted into UMD Dental a couple months ago. However, I'm still waiting to hear back from VCU school of dentistry (my in-state school), at what point do I give up waiting to hear back from them? I was interviewed on September 2nd 2008 at VCU and until now I haven't received a reject letter or any notification whatsoever. I'm fine with getting a reject letter but at the same time I would really like some closure. This whole process has been an emotional roller coaster and I just want it to be all said and done. Thanks for your insight, if there's a need for clarification please feel free to ask any questions.

Why don't you call and find out?? There is a reason why they're hired to work there, that's part of their job descriptions.

remi, all i can say is what i know about where vcu is in the admission process, and that on feb 23 the last of the invites were given out, and the last wait list spots were offered about a week ago. at this point, if you heard positively from vcu it would be because someone turned down a spot on the wait list and it was going to be offered to you.

i would proceed with plans to go to umd, and if you do get offered a spot on vcu's wait list, then cool.