Do I give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWTBAD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really want to be a doctor. I did very well in high school and the beginning of college. Now I feel like I should stop trying. I get bad grades with so much time put in. I don't know what makes me so dumb when compared to my peers here. Many people study half the time I do and do well.

All my EC's are falling apart. I can't seem to get a research position or anything that might help me get into medical school.

What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Some people have to try harder, let your work ethic set you apart. If they don't want to give you a research position; volunteer for it few people will decline free help.

Its never going to get easier... it comes down to how much you want it

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I really want to be a doctor. I did very well in high school and the beginning of college. Now I feel like I should stop trying. I get bad grades with so much time put in. I don't know what makes me so dumb when compared to my peers here. Many people study half the time I do and do well.

All my EC's are falling apart. I can't seem to get a research position or anything that might help me get into medical school.

What should I do?
Great first troll post! That being said:

Why would I troll student doctor network? Should I post my transcript?
It's bc you're not all specific with your post in asking for a solution. Read it again, and pretend you're one of us who don't know you.

It is incredibly vague, but I want to give you the benefit of the doubt. More detail would help us help you.

I don't know, I don't think I can accomplish everything I would like to by time I apply. I don't think I'll have the time to do well on the MCAT. I definitely don't think I can achieve high grades.

I don't know, I don't think I can accomplish everything I would like to by time I apply. I don't think I'll have the time to do well on the MCAT. I definitely don't think I can achieve high grades.

So give yourself more time. Everyone thinks they will apply at the end of their junior year when in reality, some people need more time to accomplish what they need to and that's completely ok.

I'm going to give you the cold hard truth that someone once gave me and say that you only posted this because although you legitimately want an answer, you especially want attention regarding your problems and you want people to say encouraging things along the lines of "you will make it, just hang on".

Reflect on yourself, evaluate your mistakes, talk to others about their habits that brought them success, and build from there. Every road is different and no one really wants to patronize strangers regarding a problem that is been brought up nearly every day.

Reactions: 2 users
Take a gap year, change your study habits.

perry, you remind me of an old pal of mine named emilym.... she too was an ambulance surfer :thinking:

@IWTBAD : like a few others have mentioned, you need to provide more specific information about your study habits and extracurriculars if you want good advice. The more specific the better.

perry, you remind me of an old pal of mine named emilym.... she too was an ambulance surfer :thinking:

@IWTBAD : like a few others have mentioned, you need to provide more specific information about your study habits and extracurriculars if you want good advice. The more specific the better.
@Oso ...
It is me :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I know, but many people get ****faced everyday and do better than me. Why am I spending so much time on getting bad grades? It doesn't make sense and puts me in a bad mindset everyday with little to no sleep.

Op, just relax. You are only yourself and shouldn't compare yourself to others. Take a break from your crowded schedule and even do a gap year if you need to.

Are you just going to beat yourself up, or do you want constructive advice? Help us help you.

What should I do?
Keep chasing pavements.

Stop comparing yourself to others. It's your game.

Where are you currently (like, what year of college) and when did you want to apply to medical school? Sometimes, postponing the application for a year or two, in order to beef up your resume/application credentials is wholly worth it. I'm not talking about people who retrospectively justify the time off by saying 'Oh this gave me time to travel, or pursue my hobbies, rekindle friendships, etc" I mean it can be the difference between sewing yourself into one of the most noble and rewarding professions, or not.

Case and point, I took 4 years off after college before applying. I did that badly in college. In 4 years from now, I will be bakedbeans18, MD. Give us some more information on your timeline, and we can go from there on helping you figure out how to get back on track with things :)

What should I do?
Get yourself together man. You sound like Eeyore after he lost his tail.

Your school should have both a learning/education center and counseling services. Go seek out help from both.
At this point in time, you should be concentrating on doing well in college, NOT thinking about medical school, much less the MCAT.

Pick up coping and time mgt skills especially.

What should I do?

Reactions: 1 users
Where are you currently (like, what year of college) and when did you want to apply to medical school? Sometimes, postponing the application for a year or two, in order to beef up your resume/application credentials is wholly worth it. I'm not talking about people who retrospectively justify the time off by saying 'Oh this gave me time to travel, or pursue my hobbies, rekindle friendships, etc" I mean it can be the difference between sewing yourself into one of the most noble and rewarding professions, or not.

Case and point, I took 4 years off after college before applying. I did that badly in college. In 4 years from now, I will be bakedbeans18, MD. Give us some more information on your timeline, and we can go from there on helping you figure out how to get back on track with things :)
Ideally I'd apply senior year, but I don't really care.

Sophomore, I need to fix my studying habits ASAP:idea:

What's your GPA?

Its never too late. Even if you have a couple of classes failed or with low marks, you can retake them and with AACOMAS grade replacement policy, it will replace the grade boosting your GPA.

Just gotta get to studying! It seems like DO schools had a killer amount of applications this year and it will get worse.

What's your GPA?

Its never too late. Even if you have a couple of classes failed or with low marks, you can retake them and with AACOMAS grade replacement policy, it will replace the grade boosting your GPA.

Just gotta get to studying! It seems like DO schools had a killer amount of applications this year and it will get worse.
3.4 but BCPM is 2.9..., thanks. I just have been trying so long to learn how to study effectively and I'm coming up empty handed. It seems like the only thing that ever works is day-before cramming and even that is starting to get less effective

1. Cramming never works, don't do it.
2. If your "studying" consists of you sitting there and attempting to memorize every piece of information from lecture notes/text book, also doesn't work. You need to actually LEARN it. Know it well enough to teach it. Explain a process beginning to end and explain what happens and how.

Memorizing won't help you on the mcat, either, btw. Certain parts, yes, overall, no way.

take notes in lecture. YOU THEN MUST Read and Review all your notes right after lecture (or night of) and write down questions you have/concepts you dont understand. Then Go ask for help in OH/email/raise hand in class. Then Review notes again every weekend. Review till day before exam. PLay the day before exam. Ace Exam.

DO NOT PUT OFF INITIAL READ THROUGH OF NOTES UNTIL THE WEEKEND.

Reactions: 1 users
Tried to memorize everything a few days before exams. Ended freshman year with sub 3.0. Ever since (senior now) have maintained a near perfect GPA. Review Review Review! Almost after every lecture, within a day or two, I go over the material and write my own notes. Works magic. Put in the work.

take notes in lecture. YOU THEN MUST Read and Review all your notes right after lecture (or night of) and write down questions you have/concepts you dont understand. Then Go ask for help in OH/email/raise hand in class. Then Review notes again every weekend. Review till day before exam. PLay the day before exam. Ace Exam.

DO NOT PUT OFF INITIAL READ THROUGH OF NOTES UNTIL THE WEEKEND.
Play the day before exam haha. Thanks, I have quizzes so constant review is what I'm doing. Is my learning not efficient? How am I missing things?

-Read Actively before class
-Study everyday at least 3 hours no more then 4 , diminished returns usually unless your using some kind of stimulant/nootropic and even then its usually not worth it
-Realize if your not doing it correctly, it's if you never did it . (Study high yield material)
-If you don't have a plan, your basically planning to fail.
-Organize your time, seriously get google calendar or use outlook
-As many have said, Reading DOES NOT EQUAL Studying
-Practice Questions > Concept Mapping > Anki >Actively writing lecture notes (even if you know the material) >Daily review >>First time Reading (Importance imo)
-Find your motivation

It's actually quite simple, just view college as your current job. Put in the effort, it might sound cliche but it really is that simple. Failure is needed in order to succeed, learn from your failures. Figure out different strategies that work or not work for certain classes.

I'd write more, but am on phone.

Play the day before exam haha. Thanks, I have quizzes so constant review is what I'm doing. Is my learning not efficient? How am I missing things?

Best way to learn is to teach someone that material. FInd a buddy and VERBALLY explain all the materials you're going through including practice problems and questions.

Don't teach yourself inyour head, that defeats the purpose.

Best way to learn is to teach someone that material. FInd a buddy and VERBALLY explain all the materials you're going through including practice problems and questions.

Don't teach yourself inyour head, that defeats the purpose.

and if not that, write out what you know on paper. that REALLY helped me with organic.

OP maybe you should consider getting tutoring? They can help you specifically with your weak spots and pinpoint how you can study more effectively...

I just ****ed up my GPA so much and it's like, why even bother correcting it if all I come out with is a 3.3 at best?