do i have a chance? 3.5c, 3.3 sci

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

general987

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I recently lost an appeal with a community college I attended while in my junior year of high school to withdraw 2 F's from statistics and a B from a 1st semester language course and a C from a second semester language course. Although I had a shaky sophomore year in college (its well documented), I came out with a cumulative GPA of 3.7 (last 110 units is a 3.90 average) and a science gpa of 3.5. However, because I cannot get the grades withdrawn, it plummets my cGPA to 3.5 and my sGPA to 3.3. Will medical schools look past this problem i had while in high school?

Other stats are as follows:
-Double major in science and social science
-34 MCAT
-2 years of chemical research. 2 poster presentations at two separate conferences. No publications. Currently completed an undergraduate thesis in social science to hopefully be published soon. Joining a biochemical lab this summer during my year off while i wait throughout the cycle
-4 months of shadowing a family doctor
-1.5 years interning in a hospital
-6 months in my current internship in rural medicine
-non URM, but qualified for the fee waiver due to economic hardships. grew up in poor rural area.
-elected in student government for three consecutive years
-roughly 6 leadership positions throughout college
-numerous honors awards and school awards for service

Will I still have a shot into MD schools despite the GPA windfall? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Would love any bit of advice, thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

So I recently lost an appeal with a community college I attended while in my junior year of high school to withdraw 2 F's from statistics and a B from a 1st semester language course and a C from a second semester language course. Although I had a shaky sophomore year in college (its well documented), I came out with a cumulative GPA of 3.7 (last 110 units is a 3.90 average) and a science gpa of 3.5. However, because I cannot get the grades withdrawn, it plummets my cGPA to 3.5 and my sGPA to 3.3. Will medical schools look past this problem i had while in high school?

Other stats are as follows:
-Double major in science and social science
-34 MCAT
-2 years of chemical research. 2 poster presentations at two separate conferences. No publications. Currently completed an undergraduate thesis in social science to hopefully be published soon. Joining a biochemical lab this summer during my year off while i wait throughout the cycle
-4 months of shadowing a family doctor
-1.5 years interning in a hospital
-6 months in my current internship in rural medicine
-non URM, but qualified for the fee waiver due to economic hardships. grew up in poor rural area.
-elected in student government for three consecutive years
-roughly 6 leadership positions throughout college
-numerous honors awards and school awards for service

Will I still have a shot into MD schools despite the GPA windfall? thanks!

The B and the C won't really hold you back. It's the 2 F's that are worrisome. Did you at least finish up the rest of your math prereqs with decent grades? Might be a good idea to take an extra math course and nail it, though I'm not sure if it would matter much.

Luckily, it looks like you've really worked hard since then, and the adcoms will notice that upward trend. The impressive MCAT score will further bolster your chances, and your ECs are very solid and well above average. I would say you have a chance at some great schools.

FYI, I applied with a GPA about the same as yours and I got interviews and an acceptance (at a US-allo), so you needn't worry about whether an MD school will take you, but rather which ones :) Aim for upper tier reaches, even a couple top-15's if you are okay spending a little extra money. You may just have a shot, and I think that many schools will forgive you for those F's in stats, considering the rest of your profile is so strong.

I would apply MD and DO.

I did retake that math class and received an A at a 4 year institution. My math grades are B's and A's. I am just worried that the face value will bring me down. Would a higher MCAT mitigate that doubt from the Committee? Thanks!

I did retake that math class and received an A at a 4 year institution. My math grades are B's and A's. I am just worried that the face value will bring me down. Would a higher MCAT mitigate that doubt from the Committee? Thanks!

A 34 is sufficient. Apply to a few DOs to make sure but I believe you have a good shot at mid tier US-allo schools. I think you'll be fine since you've retaken those math courses. What are your grades in your other science prereqs?

Yes, you can do it. But don't rule out osteopathic schools. I would apply to at least some in case you don't get into an allopathic program.

A 34 is sufficient. Apply to a few DOs to make sure but I believe you have a good shot at mid tier US-allo schools. I think you'll be fine since you've retaken those math courses. What are your grades in your other science prereqs?

i think this is perhaps a BIT optimistic, but mostly, i agree.

3.5/3.3 and 34 will not rule you out of many MDs.

Would you all recommend that I apply to a SMP to have a graduate GPA? Seeing as the MCAT lasts for a few years, it wouldn't expire

Would you all recommend that I apply to a SMP to have a graduate GPA? Seeing as the MCAT lasts for a few years, it wouldn't expire

word of advice.

STAY THE **** AWAY FROM ANY SMP.

Would a higher MCAT be needed then? If SMP is a bad move?

Instead of an informal post-bac. I could stick around in undergrad for another year picking up another major. But the effect the classes would have on my GPA would be minimal because I have so many units. But would it even matter to stay around? Or should I just do research/volunteer full time