Do I have a chance? Low GPA, good ECs, MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrdavid173

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had a really bad year and tanked my GPA my sophomore year. I'm currently sitting at 3.02 science GPA, 2.92 cumulative. Biology major with a minor in chemistry. I did 2.5 years of research in a lab (didn't get published however), CPR instructor, working as EMT-B, and was a UTA for a microbiology lab for a semester. I took the MCAT and got a 28 (11 VR 8PS 9BS). What are my chances of getting in DO? Is it more advisable to do a year post-bacc or do I have a reasonable shot?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Could happen at a new school, but I'd still wait until I had a 3 to apply just so more doors open.

Suggest retaking any F/D/C science coursework and then applying. As of right now, a few schools might like you, especially the newest ones.

So I had a really bad year and tanked my GPA my sophomore year. I'm currently sitting at 3.02 science GPA, 2.92 cumulative. Biology major with a minor in chemistry. I did 2.5 years of research in a lab (didn't get published however), CPR instructor, working as EMT-B, and was a UTA for a microbiology lab for a semester. I took the MCAT and got a 28 (11 VR 8PS 9BS). What are my chances of getting in DO? Is it more advisable to do a year post-bacc or do I have a reasonable shot?

Thanks in advance everyone.