Do I have a chance or should I aim lower?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

P.R student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this forum so please pardon any ignorance from my part. I just wanted to know what my chances are for getting into med school in the new york area. First I'd like to mention that I will be graduating undergrad (biology major with a minor in accounting) in a private fully accredited university in puerto rico. My overall gpa is 3.80 and science gpa is 3.70. I scored a 37 on the mcat. I have 4 years of volunteer work in private hospitals and homes for the ederly. I also volunteered in food collections and was on my university judo team for 3 years. I did most of my research on human anatomy and organic chemestry. I'm trying to beef up my app in any way I can since i had a really really bad semester during my first year. I failed my first inorganic chemestry and math and was put on academic probation. It was appealed due to the fact that I was struggling to take care of my aunt (who was like a mother to me). She was being treated for cancer and passed away later that summer. Ever since then i focused on getting good grades retook the failed classes and passed them both with A's what are my chances of getting accepted and is there anything that anyone would recommend. Thank you all in advance for you help

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I'm new to this forum so please pardon any ignorance from my part. I just wanted to know what my chances are for getting into med school in the new york area. First I'd like to mention that I will be graduating undergrad (biology major with a minor in accounting) in a private fully accredited university in puerto rico. My overall gpa is 3.80 and science gpa is 3.70. I scored a 37 on the mcat. I have 4 years of volunteer work in private hospitals and homes for the ederly. I also volunteered in food collections and was on my university judo team for 3 years. I did most of my research on human anatomy and organic chemestry. I'm trying to beef up my app in any way I can since i had a really really bad semester during my first year. I failed my first inorganic chemestry and math and was put on academic probation. It was appealed due to the fact that I was struggling to take care of my aunt (who was like a mother to me). She was being treated for cancer and passed away later that summer. Ever since then i focused on getting good grades retook the failed classes and passed them both with A's what are my chances of getting accepted and is there anything that anyone would recommend. Thank you all in advance for you help
Are these your AMCAS gpa's? Are you verified? First MCAT? First application? Let us see your list!

Seems like a pretty impressive application. If you went on academic probation and still finished with a 3.80, you probably had a large upward trend, which is always nice. Your MCAT score is fantastic (subscores?) and your EC's seem fairly solid as well. If you're applying for the current cycle, you're a bit on the late side which may hurt you a bit, but honestly as long as you apply smartly (use MSAR!), have a good PS, decent LOR's, and good interview skills, you should do well.

Reactions: 1 user