do I have a chance to MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loving medicine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I know these threads are created all the time but I have been very upset about my gpa. I am going to graduate in December. I was pretty stressed out with the move and financial crisis, was not able to concentrate in school. Although I started volunteering and shadowing in January 2014. I am financially disadvantaged. Ill apply in May/June 2015. I know there are schools that take low gpa but I have something worse on my transcript.
My stats etc:
Age 23( if I get in Ill be 25 then)
100 hours of volunteering( planning on doing 250 by then)
50 hours of shadowing(planning on doing 100 by then)
No research(Ill get into something this fall)
good LORs
3.75 (0verall gpa) 3.3( AMCAS gpa) I repeated some classes and Ive got mostly As in Bio Chem and Phys.
Texas resident.

Got 3 F and 17w all in one year due to health reasons around Jan 2013 till Dec 2013 I dropped out 2 semesters and during the summer semester it was late so got Fs. ( I dont have insuarance, thanks to Obama Care itll start next month and I finally will be able to get treated)

Should I apply to medical schools or just forget about it?
Can I apply as an URM since I am financially disadvantaged?
What can I do to improve my application?

I would really appreciate it if anyone got back to me on this, be honest even if its mean. Thank you so much for reading.

Thank you everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

For future reference, this thread belongs in the What Are My Chances forums. You will get much better advice there.

According to the AAMC charts for Asians, you have anywhere between a 30-40% chance of getting in (assuming you do decent on the MCAT). So, you are not very competitive. To add onto that, you have very recent F's and A LOT of W's. You have a lot to prove before any school will take a chance on you.

For now, focus on getting your GPA up. Also consider DO, since your transcript GPA looks A LOT better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I know these threads are created all the time but I have been very upset about my gpa. I am going to graduate in December. I was pretty stressed out with the move and financial crisis, was not able to concentrate in school. Although I started volunteering and shadowing in January 2014. I am financially disadvantaged. Ill apply in May/June 2015. I know there are schools that take low gpa but I have something worse on my transcript.
My stats etc:
Age 23( if I get in Ill be 25 then)
100 hours of volunteering( planning on doing 250 by then)
50 hours of shadowing(planning on doing 100 by then)
No research(Ill get into something this fall)
good LORs
3.75 (0verall gpa) 3.3( AMCAS gpa) I repeated some classes and Ive got mostly As in Bio Chem and Phys.
Texas resident.

Got 3 F and 17w all in one year due to health reasons around Jan 2013 till Dec 2013 I dropped out 2 semesters and during the summer semester it was late so got Fs. ( I dont have insuarance, thanks to Obama Care itll start next month and I finally will be able to get treated)

Should I apply to medical schools or just forget about it?
Can I apply as an URM since I am financially disadvantaged?
What can I do to improve my application?

I would really appreciate it if anyone got back to me on this, be honest even if its mean. Thank you so much for reading.

Thank you everyone.
Hey, welcome to SDN. I would post this here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/what-are-my-chances.418/ lots of people with good knowledge could help you here.
IMO you are looking good we just need to see that MCAT score. You have a a 3.75 that's not bad who cares about those F's. Those withdraws you will have to explain them to them. You can't apply as a URM because you are financially disadvantaged. URM status comes from your ethnicity/race.

Edit: Oh, I just saw the AMCAs 3.3 GPA thing.

This quotes are from @DoctaJay
"Underrepresented in medicine means those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population."

Before June 26, 2003, the AAMC used the term "underrepresented minority (URM)," which consisted of Blacks, Mexican-Americans, Native Americans (that is, American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians), and mainland Puerto Ricans.

Not very competitive. Could you not have taken medical leave? That number of W's is incredibly high. Consider contacting your school and seeing what you can do about that. You will likely need a post-bacc as well as applying low and widespread. Consider DO. Ultimately, no solid decisions can really be made until you have an MCAT score.

Status
Not open for further replies.