Do I have a chance with a 2.7 gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringtobedoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a recent college graduate with an econ/business degree from a regional college. My final gpa was around 2.7. Almost immediately after graduation, I became interested in a career in the medical or dental field. Obviously this was very bad timing.

During my college career I only took one biology class and got a B. Most of my bad grades were in math and accounting. So my thinking is if I take the required chemistry, physics and biology courses and get close to a 4.0 in these courses, this would raise my GPA over 3.0. Then if I studied for the MCAT (or DCAT) and do very well, will I be a competitive applicant for med or dental school? Obviously I would also try and get clinical/research experience along the way.

Also, are there any specific post bac programs anyone would recommend? I know my GPA is far from the standard, I just don't want to give up yet.

Thanks Again

Members don't see this ad.

use the DO system retake policy to get you into the >3.2 range, a 2.7 is a waste of time to bother with

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend that you investigate the AACOMAS website or over in pre osteo. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/pre-medical-osteopathic-do.13/
OK, Thanks for replying! I actually have done a little research on the AAMC website and noticed UVA and Columbia have post bac programs that don't list a minimum GPA requirement. I know these are highly ranked universities. However, do you think there respective post bac programs would give me chance if I score highly on the GRE or MCAT?

Ace all the pre-req along with doing very well on the MCAT and doing clinical work should make you a better applicant. So yes I agree with your plan, and don't do a post-bac until after if you can't get in the first time.

I actually have done a little research on the AAMC website and noticed UVA and Columbia have post bac programs that don't list a minimum GPA requirement. I know these are highly ranked universities. However, do you think there respective post bac programs would give me chance if I score highly on the GRE or MCAT?
I was actually referring to the AACOMAS website.
A high MCAT does not actually remediate a long history of uneven performance.
If you are accepted to a post bac program or especially if you do well in an SMP with a strong linkage, you may still have a chance at MD programs.
DO schools tend to be more forgiving of late bloomers, though.

Ace all the pre-req along with doing very well on the MCAT and doing clinical work should make you a better applicant. So yes I agree with your plan, and don't do a post-bac until after if you can't get in the first time.
Thanks for your reply, also are you familiar with Columbia or UVA's post bac programs? Given my academic history I know it sounds far fetched to be studying pre med classes at these universities. However, I am way more motivated than I was early in college.

I was actually referring to the AACOMAS website.
A high MCAT does not actually remediate a long history of uneven performance.
If you are accepted to a post bac program or especially if you do well in an SMP with a strong linkage, you may still have a chance at MD programs.
DO schools tend to be more forgiving of late bloomers, though.
Yeah I know the difference. Sorry I got off topic, I wanted to ask you the post bac question. In regards to the post bac question, I basically don't even know where to start. Should I contact schools I am interested in directly or to talk to someone that is with the AACOMAS/AAMC and see what they think? Thank you for your patience, I am still pretty new to this process.

Yeah I know the difference. Sorry I got off topic, I wanted to ask you the post bac question. In regards to the post bac question, I basically don't even know where to start. Should I contact schools I am interested in directly or to talk to someone that is with the AACOMAS/AAMC and see what they think? Thank you for your patience, I am still pretty new to this process.
You might want to contact the NAAHP to get a pro bono advisor if your undergrad is no longer an option.
Individual medical schools are unlikely to be invested in your success at this incipient point in your journey.

Both of the websites have a lot of good information, though (amcas and aacomas).

Thanks for your reply, also are you familiar with Columbia or UVA's post bac programs? Given my academic history I know it sounds far fetched to be studying pre med classes at these universities. However, I am way more motivated than I was early in college.
No I am not familiar with their programs but I feel like everyone will mature and become more motivated later in their college stage. I hope everything works out well for you!

Thanks for your reply, do you know of any post bac programs that I have a chance at?(with my current GPA)

Members don't see this ad :)
Post-bac programs are a dime-a-dozen. Just do your homework.
You can also do a DIY post-bac.
GRE is meaningless for MD or DO applications.

OK, Thanks for replying! I actually have done a little research on the AAMC website and noticed UVA and Columbia have post bac programs that don't list a minimum GPA requirement. I know these are highly ranked universities. However, do you think there respective post bac programs would give me chance if I score highly on the GRE or MCAT?

You have zero chance without some retakes.

I wouldn't say that. I was in a very similar position with a nearly identical gpa, finished just shy of 3.0, and still managed to get some MD acceptances. For OP high science grades and MCAT are going to be the key.

I wouldn't say that. I was in a very similar position with a nearly identical gpa, finished just shy of 3.0, and still managed to get some MD acceptances. For OP high science grades and MCAT are going to be the key.
And a guy with a crack conviction got elected mayor once, outliers are not the basis of advice. <3.0 is an app killer

I'm being you are either a URM, went to a grade deflating school, or had a strong upward trend. And there's a big deference between just shy of 3.0 (2.9X) and a 2.7. In any case, congrats on your acceptance, you're incredibly fortunate.

I'm being you are either a URM, went to a grade deflating school, or had a strong upward trend. And there's a big deference between just shy of 3.0 (2.9X) and a 2.7. In any case, congrats on your acceptance, you're incredibly fortunate.

Nope, probably not, and maybe depending on what you count. I didn't take any real science classes in UG and had the <2.7 until the post-bacc and of course those were all B+ or better (mostly A).

Point for OP is that as a non-trad the raw numbers probably matter a little less if there's a (good) story behind it. Of course there will still be places that screen out any <3.0 and you will need an excellent MCAT. Just be sure to take things seriously and do only your best.

Nope, probably not, and maybe depending on what you count. I didn't take any real science classes in UG and had the <2.7 until the post-bacc and of course those were all B+ or better (mostly A).
Yeah, that explains it. Adcoms care a lot less about your performance in BS liberal arts courses than they do about your prerequisite performance. Combine that with an upward trend, and you were in decent shape.

cidem is a good example of what you can do with a post-bac, OP. Good luck with yours.

I'll throw in my $0.02 as I was in almost your same situation (albeit 10 years ago). I had a 2.6 GPA after a BA poli sci at a highly ranked liberal arts college . I worked for 2 years after college as a lab tech at a top university and then decided to go to med school.

None of the established post bac programs would touch me (even with letters from big names saying I had "matured"). I don't think you have a realistic shot at places like Columbia or UVA, even though they don't have published GPA limits. You are going to have a tough time finding any established post bac program willing to take you, especially one with a linkage to med school. ***you also have your timing a little mixed up. You will be taking the MCAT after your post bac program, not before. MCAT could help you getting into special masters programs (SMPs), not post bac programs***

I ended up doing a DIY post bac program at a large state university and finished with a 3.8 sGPA, 3.0cGPA, 31 MCAT (30 was average for accepted MD applicants at the time).

I applied over 3 cycles to MD schools. I received ~2 interviews every year, was put on a few waitlists over the 3 years, but never got in. I ended up going to the caribbean and will be starting residency in July.

This is what I would say from my experiences,

1. You'll probably end up doing a DIY post bac, this is fine. But you must finish with a sGPA >3.8, anything less just isn't gonna cut the mustard.

2. Your MCAT score is extremely important, more so than traditional applicants. It needs to be multiple points above the average for accepted students to make up for your substandard cGPA.

3. Consider SMPs following your post bac. Some of these also offer linkages to medical schools, and you have a better shot at these (assuming you ace your post bac) than the post bac linkage programs. I didn't look at these which was a mistake. It's gonna seem horrible to do another 2 years of school before even starting medical school, but it's totally worth it if it gets you into a MD program.

4. Prepare yourself for a long road ahead. I hope everything falls right into place for you, but more likely the process will take a while. I'm about to start residency a full 10 years after I decided to go to medical school and started looking at post bac programs.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I'll throw in my $0.02 as I was in almost your same situation (albeit 10 years ago). I had a 2.6 GPA after a BA poli sci at a highly ranked liberal arts college . I worked for 2 years after college as a lab tech at a top university and then decided to go to med school.

None of the established post bac programs would touch me (even with letters from big names saying I had "matured"). I don't think you have a realistic shot at places like Columbia or UVA, even though they don't have published GPA limits. You are going to have a tough time finding any established post bac program willing to take you, especially one with a linkage to med school. ***you also have your timing a little mixed up. You will be taking the MCAT after your post bac program, not before. MCAT could help you getting into special masters programs (SMPs), not post bac programs***

I ended up doing a DIY post bac program at a large state university and finished with a 3.8 sGPA, 3.0cGPA, 31 MCAT (30 was average for accepted MD applicants at the time).

I applied over 3 cycles to MD schools. I received ~2 interviews every year, was put on a few waitlists over the 3 years, but never got in. I ended up going to the caribbean and will be starting residency in July.

This is what I would say from my experiences,

1. You'll probably end up doing a DIY post bac, this is fine. But you must finish with a sGPA >3.8, anything less just isn't gonna cut the mustard.

2. Your MCAT score is extremely important, more so than traditional applicants. It needs to be multiple points above the average for accepted students to make up for your substandard cGPA.

3. Consider SMPs following your post bac. Some of these also offer linkages to medical schools, and you have a better shot at these (assuming you ace your post bac) than the post bac linkage programs. I didn't look at these which was a mistake. It's gonna seem horrible to do another 2 years of school before even starting medical school, but it's totally worth it if it gets you into a MD program.

4. Prepare yourself for a long road ahead. I hope everything falls right into place for you, but more likely the process will take a while. I'm about to start residency a full 10 years after I decided to go to medical school and started looking at post bac programs.

Good luck!

Thank you for all the info. Did you get your lab tech job with just a poli sci degree? That is something I would be interested in if lab tech jobs don't require a stem type degree. Also, do think if I contact schools that I am interested in and tell them my story they will give me odds as to whether I will gain acceptance to their post bac programs?

Point for OP is that as a non-trad the raw numbers probably matter a little less if there's a (good) story behind it. Of course there will still be places that screen out any <3.0 and you will need an excellent MCAT. Just be sure to take things seriously and do only your best.

Thanks for the inspiring story. Any post bac programs you would recommend?

Does anybody have an estimate on my chances if I hypothetically raise my GPA to around 3.1 and score highly on the MCAT(36-38)? My GPA would also have a strong upward trend if this happened. I would also hopefully have some clinical and/or research experience when I apply.

That isn't bad, considering chances with my current standing are basically zero. I am starting to think I may have a realistic chance.
Everyone is shooting for the MCAT you quoted, though. Less than 3% get it.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah have to cross that bridge when I get there. My entire plan to get into medical school basically hinges on a high score on the MCAT. I'm confident if I can get straight A's in courses like organic/inorganic chemistry, physics and cell biology, along with months of study and possible tutoring help I can get close. Again maybe wishful thinking.

Thank you for all the info. Did you get your lab tech job with just a poli sci degree? That is something I would be interested in if lab tech jobs don't require a stem type degree. Also, do think if I contact schools that I am interested in and tell them my story they will give me odds as to whether I will gain acceptance to their post bac programs?

Yes you can get a lab tech job with a non science degree, it all depends on the person hiring you. I just happened to grow up in a city with a huge research university with lots of job opportunities. I applied to a bunch of entry level lab tech jobs and was hired by a young physician-scientist starting his lab.

You can try contacting the post bac programs, but my bet would be they are just going to tell you to apply and see what happens.

Thanks for the inspiring story. Any post bac programs you would recommend?

Not really. The one that accepts you is a good start. There are plenty out there and you don't even need a formal program. The best one is one that fits your lifestyle (family, geography, money, whatever).