Do i have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbk0319

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, guys
I took MCAT twice, and my scores were 23 (first time) and 29 (second time)
Only the bad thing about my MCAT score is that I have 5 in verbal
Breakdown for 2nd MCAT was 12/5/12

Below are my GPAs and ECs:
cGPA:~3.64
sGPA:~3.67
graduated with honors in chemistry (class of 2012)
1 year of undergraduate research (1 poster presentation)
~150 hrs of volunteering at medical center
~50 hrs of shadowing
a lot of teaching/private tutoring experience (more than 500+ because that's what i did on every weekend throughout whole my undergraduate years)
will be joining research associate program coming May/June

Im an ESL and I know that 5 in VB will probably screen me out automatically.
Will I have any chance with these stats?
I really want to apply this June, and I highly doubt if I can improve my VB score within next 1 or 2 months....

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Yes, you'll be screened out by some DO and most MD schools. However, there are a number of DO schools that weigh the BS portion much more heavily than the VR portion. On the other hand, your overall mcat score combined with your GPA's makes you a competitive applicant to any DO school. I'm positive you'll get in somewhere.

I'll be shocked, and frankly, disappointed if you don't get in because of that 5 on VR.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I would call schools you are interested in and check and see if that 5 will screen you out. Perhaps Goro can provide some better insight. Everything looks good besides that 5 so I think you have a decent shot

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, guys
I took MCAT twice, and my scores were 23 (first time) and 29 (second time)
Only the bad thing about my MCAT score is that I have 5 in verbal
Breakdown for 2nd MCAT was 12/5/12

Below are my GPAs and ECs:
cGPA:~3.64
sGPA:~3.67
graduated with honors in chemistry (class of 2012)
1 year of undergraduate research (1 poster presentation)
~150 hrs of volunteering at medical center
~50 hrs of shadowing
a lot of teaching/private tutoring experience (more than 500+ because that's what i did on every weekend throughout whole my undergraduate years)
will be joining research associate program coming May/June

Im an ESL and I know that 5 in VB will probably screen me out automatically.
Will I have any chance with these stats?
I really want to apply this June, and I highly doubt if I can improve my VB score within next 1 or 2 months....

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

There is a guy named desidoc on here that created a thread to tell people like you not to give up. Some people flamed him for giving false hope but basically he had a 5 in VR while having perfect English and was able to gain admission to 2 DO schools. He made a thread his 3rd year stating his verbal score had absolutely no correlation with his success in medical school or the step 1 because he was in the top percentile of his class. You may want to look for him in the archives.

Man you would be so set if your MCAT was balanced. Gonna have to work on VR, you're gonna get screened out...

Try EK 101 Passages, among other things.

The 5 is NOT lethal at the majority of DO schools. Your chances are excellent even with the 5.

The 5 is NOT lethal at the majority of DO schools. Your chances are excellent even with the 5.

I truly don't know that this is good advice. The OP should be strongly advised to research each individual school they are interested in applying to and examine whether or not they will pre-screen out a 5. I imagine many of them would and it is a major disadvantage even if not screened out.

I truly don't know that this is good advice. The OP should be strongly advised to research each individual school they are interested in applying to and examine whether or not they will pre-screen out a 5. I imagine many of them would and it is a major disadvantage even if not screened out.
I would also recommend to call schools directly before applying. Everything else in the package makes the OP a shoe-in candidate.