Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aftomdhopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I've been a long time lurker, but I've been nervous to post. I am applying to medical school this year, and wondering if I have a chance.

I am a female, and grew up in a rural, underserved community in a poor family. I went to Pomona College, then commissioned in the US Army. Did a tour in Afghanistan, a masters degree in molecular biology from a state school, and am working in a hospital in their accreditation department until I matriculate.

usGPA-2.9 in biology
ucGPA-3.1 (dual major in biology and history)
gGPA-3.9 (MA in molecular biology-completed while working full time in the military)
MCAT 27
Idaho resident

I have some pretty awesome extracurriculars: a collegiate athlete, ROTC leadership, combat first aid instructor, extensive work on a public health campaign, cardiac research for my masters and a few others. I am concerned about my low undergrad GPA. Although it is because I was at an elite school, and was working 20+ hours/week, I am not sure if schools will be able to look past that, and see how well I performed in my masters degree. Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

First off, many thanks for your service to our country. Hoooahh!

Adcoms have a soft spot for veterans, so yes, you do have a chance.

I suggest
Your state MD school
all other low tier schools, especially, Albany, Drexel, NYMC, and the new schools like Oakland-B, Netter, and Western MI
Any DO school.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you! I have a few of those on my list, so I will be sure to add a few more