Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aj7259

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm currently a first semester junior and beginning to get nervous about my chances for acceptance due to a rocky start my freshman year (I got a C+ in an intro level biology course first semester because I didn't adjust well to the new way of studying I would need to use, but since then the lowest grades I've gotten were a B+). I am a molecular and cellular biology major (may be declaring Spanish as a double major) and minor in chemistry. I have a 3.64 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA with a strong upward trend, I got a 3.8 last semester and hopefully will receive a 3.92 this semester. Took a diagnostic MCAT without any studying or review and got a 501 which I expect to go up with studying, my Kaplan course and after taking biochemistry and psychology next semester.

My ECs as of now are as follows:
~50 hours volunteering at a convalescent center
~50 hours volunteering in OB/GYN
~50 hours volunteering in ED
~50 hours student leader at hospital where I perform patient safety rounds and am in charge of a group of volunteers
- undergraduate research assistant in organic chemistry lab
-member of social sorority of which I am scholarship chair and a new member educator
-work as a hostess/waitress during breaks

I'm just worried I am not going to stand out. I was told I would get a great letter of rec from one of my professors but not sure how much that would help.

Any advice on what to do this last semester/what type of schools I should set my sights on would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, your GPA is in great shape. Consider doing a little more non-clinical volunteering and smashing the MCAT. Otherwise, looks great!

Reactions: 1 users
Looks good so far, but a lot is going to depend upon the MCAT. Study your hardest for it!

Reactions: 1 users