Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnny Canuck

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I thought I'd like to get your opinions on whether or not I'd make a good candidate for medical school, osteopathic or allopathic.

Bacher of Science degree in biochemistry
Overall undergrad GPA: 3.34
MCAT: V11, BS11, PS10, WQ
Trilingual, tons of experience working with children (I once worked in Japan and taught English to junior high school and primary school students), and some volunteer experience in the local nursing home and hospital ER during undergrad.

I've applied to med school once before but was unsuccessful. However since then I've learned one more language, accumulated some work experience as an English teacher and job placement officer. I've always wanted to study medicine and I just can't see myself giving up on this dream. So I'm looking to apply to med school once again.

Do I have a decent chance? What areas of my application do I need to work on? Any constructive criticism would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You can't figure that out for yourself. Either you have zero personality in interviews or you are lying about aspects of your application. On the other hand if Canuck implies you are Canadian than you will have a tougher time being admitted and why don't you go to Canadian schools

First, disregard DOGBOY's remarks and insults. If you read through the other threads here, you'll quickly realize that he posts pretty useless and annoying comments the majority of the time. And please don't respond to him either (this includes everyone else who participates iin this board). It's not worth your time or brain cells. Plus, it's like scratching yourself when you have poison isy. Feels better temporarily but gets more and more annoying afterwards.

Your stats seem good enough to warrant consideration from any medical school. A couple of questions though. First, why do YOU think you didn't get in? Were you able to get any interviews and if so, were you able to get feedback from the schools as to why they didn't take you? When did you send in all your application materials? As we all know, doing everything early is crucial. What's your science GPA if you don't mind me asking? I noticed you posted your overall but not your science. That could play a factor. Did you apply only to MD schools? Consider DO schools next time as well. Are you a U.S. citizen? Finally, it sounds like you graduated a few years ago. How old are you? Though not an official policy, MD schools prefer younger students. And how old is your MCAT?

Whether or not you get into med school depends on several factors. I'd rather not speculate on anything without knowing my facts which is why I asked all those questions. It's a difficult process, but hopefully we can help you discover how to improve your application next time around. If it's your dream, stay positive and do what it takes to get in. Anyone who's willing to work for it will do it.

[This message has been edited by justwannabadoc (edited April 19, 1999).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Johny.
I don't know what school you applied to before. However as a newly grad from college, I have quite many friends applying to medical school recent years. It seems to me that it's not only your GPA, MCAT and medically related experience count but also what school you applied to. I have friends with extensive research and a publication, a good GPA (3.8 from UC Davis) and a decent MCAT (PS 13, BS 12, VB 8).However, he still does not have any where to settle down yet, and this is the second time he applied. But on the other hand, another friend of mine has a 3.45 GPA and 10,13, 10 in MCAT had two acceptance at Philadelphia and Wisconsin and also had interview with Standford, UCLA, UCDavis, NewYork Med and a couple other that he turned down. So, where you applied is critical.
For yourself, I think you have an excelent MCAT score (unless it is too old). I think you have a great chance for either MD or DO program. As a DO want-to-be, I think the DO schools will highly appriciate your overal knowledge as well as your experiences. Keep your hope high and Goodluck. I'm sure you can make it.
Moon

yes yes yes. apply again.

I also think that you have very good score. But "justwannabedoc" has asked you several good questions. Evaluate your stats again and apply early next time. Send in your application in June, which also include all required documents.

Make your medical schools choices broader. Apply to many different schools. Good luck and let us all know what is going on next year.

Very very very important...read everything you can get your hands on about the application process and research the school to which you are applying. For instance, many schools are simply dead-set against admitting older applicants. If you are older and apply to such a school, you're wasting your $$. Also, call the admissions people at the schools where you have rejected. They can be especially helpful by providing insight into the things they perceived as shortcomings. In my own case, as I am certain it is with most applicants, I found that it wasn't 'shortcomings.' My rejections were usually founded in HOW I presented my information. And, that the perspective I was attempting to convey was not coming across exactly as I wanted it to.

Definitely get others to preview you essays and statements prior to you submitting them. This person should preferably be someone who knows you well enough to judge your essays and objective enough to HONESTLY evaluate them. It is far better for you to be negatively critiqued PRIOR to the Admissions Committee getting their paws on it!

There are many caring and knowledgible people on this board. any one of them would be most happy to help you. Just e-mail several of us and ask whatever you wish to ask...or continue posting in the open, that way the advice is available for others who may be needing the same information.

Whatever you do, there are a few gadflys on our board. You will quickly learn who they are...please just ignore them and know they do not represent the cross-section of those of us who care.

smile.gif

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Thanks for everyone's comments. I appreciated the feedback.

To clear up a few things. I am a Canadian citizen. That's why I limited myself to Canadian schools the first time I applied. However, Canadian schools are significantly notorious for their astronomical GPA cutoffs. I did receive one interview at my local school and did quite well but obviously not well enough to get in. And ever since then I've been researching schools stateside. My science GPA is about the same as my overall GPA. My recs are strong and I have solid extracurricular activities.

I suppose what really worries me is my GPA. Having completed my degree 2 years ago, any post-bac work I do now will only raise it minimally. And the thought of spending thousands of dollars in application fees only to be rejected again is just too much to bear.

Anyway, good luck to everyone who'll be attending med school in August. I hope I'll be joining your ranks come this time next year.

[This message has been edited by Johnny Canuck (edited April 19, 1999).]

I am not an expert on foreign students gaining acceptance into U.S. programs, either DO or MD, but I am fairly certain that your chances are significantly lower. Your stats would have to be extraordinary. In terms of taking post-bacc courses, look at it this way. True, your GPA won't rise to like a 3.8 BUT if you can get 4.0's in several classes, it will still draw someone's attention. If you feel that is what's holding you back, by all means go ahead and imrpvoe it. Remember, schools aren't all concerned with just a number. Some will look highly on you if you show improvement.

I am Canadian too, and contrary to popular myth, most schools who accept non-US citizens consider Canadians the same as they would an out-of-state student. My mother is a US citizen and I'm in the process (takes 18 months to two years) of getting sponsored by her but I applied as a Canadian citizen. I was offered interviews at NSU-COM, KCOM, and TUCOM. FYI, AZCOM sticks only to US citizens. I will be attending NSU-COM (Nova) in the fall. Also, do a post-bacc and get some great marks -- unlike in Canada, US schools really look at trends, extracurriculars etc.. Also, with your life experiences I believe you are an excellent osteopathic school candidate. If you have any other questions just ask. I'll give you one small bit of advice, though, don't ever let money make decisions for you (if you want it -- apply).