This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gth2m

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! New member to this page. Looking for honest opinions, advice, etc. Be as a brutal as you feel is necessary. I can handle it!

So. Just finished my sophomore year of college. 3.8 GPA, recently decided to major in microbiology, minor in psychology and/or neuroscience. It is clear that I had no idea what I wanted to major in until now, I've taken some random courses- only taken 4 science courses so far but have completed all my gen eds and will still be completing my bachelors in 4 years.
However, I have credits from 4 schools altogether... 2 are public universities, the other 2 are community colleges. I also have 4 W's...dropped 3 classes this semester due to some personal issues but kept my other 3 classes and completed them with A's. Does the fact that I have credits from so many schools look bad on paper? Some of my credits (15 hrs) were dual enrollment courses from high school, made A's and B's in those courses- but since the time I graduated from high school and have been a regular college student, I have only made 1 B, the rest A's. I currently have 72 credit hours in total, so I guess I am a bit ahead, although that doesn't really matter.

-I have over 1,000 direct patient care work experience hours- I work at Vanderbilt University Hospital in one of the ICU's as a tech. By the time I apply, I plan to have atleast 3,000 hours of WORK hours.
-I am wanting to start volunteering in the ED or another unit, also??? Of course I get great experience actually working alongside nurses and residents in the ICU, but I know volunteering looks good on paper and I think it's something I would enjoy doing a few hours a week, anyways. I always want to spend more time at the hospital.
-I have roughly 300 shadowing hours... I shadow my uncle (MD in pain management) and the dentist my mom works for.
-Worked as a math tutor at the community college in my town for a few months. Thinking about doing that again? Or tutoring in biology possibly?
-I am not in any clubs currently, mainly because I have hopped around schools, plan to join atleast 1 this fall though! However, I was president of the biology club for a semester at a community college I attended, but since it was only 1 semester and I didn't do much...is it worth putting on paper?

Suggestions are so welcomed. I appreciate the honesty and any advice/direction!!

I'm super adaptable, so if medical school won't work out for me, PA or AA school are options I would be fine with as well.

Also, I am a 20 year old female. Not sure if that is relevant. Will be 21 this fall and will finish my bachelors degree at 22. Ready to start my junior year strong and do well.

Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all! New member to this page. Looking for honest opinions, advice, etc. Be as a brutal as you feel is necessary. I can handle it!

So. Just finished my sophomore year of college. 3.8 GPA, recently decided to major in microbiology, minor in psychology and/or neuroscience. It is clear that I had no idea what I wanted to major in until now, I've taken some random courses- only taken 4 science courses so far but have completed all my gen eds and will still be completing my bachelors in 4 years.
However, I have credits from 4 schools altogether... 2 are public universities, the other 2 are community colleges. I also have 4 W's...dropped 3 classes this semester due to some personal issues but kept my other 3 classes and completed them with A's. Does the fact that I have credits from so many schools look bad on paper? Some of my credits (15 hrs) were dual enrollment courses from high school, made A's and B's in those courses- but since the time I graduated from high school and have been a regular college student, I have only made 1 B, the rest A's. I currently have 72 credit hours in total, so I guess I am a bit ahead, although that doesn't really matter.

-I have over 1,000 direct patient care work experience hours- I work at Vanderbilt University Hospital in one of the ICU's as a tech. By the time I apply, I plan to have atleast 3,000 hours of WORK hours.
-I am wanting to start volunteering in the ED or another unit, also??? Of course I get great experience actually working alongside nurses and residents in the ICU, but I know volunteering looks good on paper and I think it's something I would enjoy doing a few hours a week, anyways. I always want to spend more time at the hospital.
-I have roughly 300 shadowing hours... I shadow my uncle (MD in pain management) and the dentist my mom works for.
-Worked as a math tutor at the community college in my town for a few months. Thinking about doing that again? Or tutoring in biology possibly?
-I am not in any clubs currently, mainly because I have hopped around schools, plan to join atleast 1 this fall though! However, I was president of the biology club for a semester at a community college I attended, but since it was only 1 semester and I didn't do much...is it worth putting on paper?

Suggestions are so welcomed. I appreciate the honesty and any advice/direction!!

I'm super adaptable, so if medical school won't work out for me, PA or AA school are options I would be fine with as well.

Also, I am a 20 year old female. Not sure if that is relevant. Will be 21 this fall and will finish my bachelors degree at 22. Ready to start my junior year strong and do well.

Thanks so much.

Lol you'll be fine, keep that GPA up and start studying for the MCAT (that's probably you're last obstacle). Your experience working as a tech for so long will be pretty helpful.

If you're set for top tier, you'll need research and publications. Other than that you have a pretty good chance at getting accepted.

I guess when the time comes, make sure you know how to explain the weird withdraws/ multiple schools/ classes to interviewers, but it shouldn't be a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol you'll be fine, keep that GPA up and start studying for the MCAT (that's probably you're last obstacle). Your experience working as a tech for so long will be pretty helpful.

If you're set for top tier, you'll need research and publications. Other than that you have a pretty good chance at getting accepted.

I guess when the time comes, make sure you know how to explain the weird withdraws/ multiple schools/ classes to interviewers, but it shouldn't be a problem.
@LizzyM might be able to back me up on this but most of the matriculants at top 20s don't have publications. Most have things like poster presentations. First author pubs especially are quite rare. You'll need a 517+ to be competitive for top 20s.

Reactions: 1 user
@LizzyM might be able to back me up on this but most of the matriculants at top 20s don't have publications. Most have things like poster presentations. First author pubs especially are quite rare. You'll need a 517+ to be competitive for top 20s.
Oh yeah first author pubs are, I assume, fairly rare. However being >2nd author I think is more common for accepted applicants in the top 20.

I would estimate that less than 25% of matriculants to MD programs st top 20 schools have a publication in a peer reviewed professional journal.

Reactions: 1 users
I would estimate that less than 25% of matriculants to MD programs st top 20 schools have a publication in a peer reviewed professional journal.
Does that refer only to first authorships, or any authorship (second, third, fourth) in a peer reviewed professional journal?