MD Do I have a shot? 25mcat, 3.87 cgpa, ~3.7-3.8sgpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcwrigh4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my grades are decent but my MCAT sucks. Any advice would be much appreciated!

I graduated May 2014 from Barrett the Honors College at Arizona State University with a B.S. in Microbiology and a Minor in Psychology.

MCAT: 25 (9VR, 9BS, 7PS)
Sad thing is that I took it twice and got the same score even though the second time I studied for months like a crazy person and took a Princeton course. Not sure if I just psyched myself out or what but I hesitate to take it a third time. To say I was devastated is an understatement.

Cumulative gpa: 3.87
Not exactly sure what my science gpa is but it's high. I got mostly A's with a couple B's in chemistry.

Clinical volunteer experience:
- 2 years with Face In The Mirror working directly with cancer patients and hospital staff.
- Interned at a neurologists office for about 6 months… lots of patient interaction.. I was basically a medical assistant and did a bunch of paperwork/testing/vitals/etc.

Physician shadowing:
-Currently shadowing an ENT in his private practice once a week for about four hours at a time. Anticipate doing that for several months.

Research:
- Did undergraduate research for a semester in a pox virus lab studying the vector capability of pox virus for vaccines. No research project or hypothesis project completed unfortunately. I wasn't there long enough.
- Listed as third author on a research paper submitted for publication investigating the effects of stigma on HIV from the perspective of health care providers in Tanzania. Done with Southwest Interdisciplinary Research Center at ASU (SIRC).
- Did my honors thesis on the efficacy of Heal International's public health program in Tanzania, Africa. Collected date, ran data in SPSS, wrote a ridiculously long paper that I am going to try to submit as a pilot study with SIRC.

Non-clinical volunteer experience:
- 3 years in Science Detectives teaching science lessons to elementary students
- 3 years in HEAL International (non-profit & student club)
- First started off as a volunteer, then Event Coordinator, then President and now I'm hired as their paid Program Coordinator
- 2 summers teaching public health in Tanzania, Africa with HEAL
- First summer just volunteer
- Second summer I had a leadership role as Director of Education and also did my honors thesis
- Just started volunteering regularly at Flight 33 tutoring at risk indigenous and latino youth and I also want to start incorporating health lessons

Work experience
- TA for Genetics 2 semesters
- on campus work
- Tutor with at risk youth (diff from Flight 33)
- Just interviewed for a position working full time as a medical scribe… they called and said they wanted to hire me but it isn't official yet.

Misc:
- I dance and play the piano.. trained in both since I was 3 years old
- I was in a sorority in college

I apologize for the long post… I just want the responders to have a thorough and unbiased view of who I am. Please be honest but also constructive.

Recommendations on schools to apply to would be much appreciated as well. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

P.S. I plan to work with underserved/under-resourced communities as a physician. Those are the patients I hope to serve some day.

The 10th% for both AZ schools (I presume you are a resident of AZ) is 27. That means to me that at least a handful of folks may have gotten in with (2) 25's.

You have a far better chance at DO schools and the under-served will not mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not sanguine about your chances at any MD school as a 25 is quite lethal. The two AZ schools are least worth trying.

Even for DO programs, you're limited. Aim for the newest programs, and definitely skip the Touros, CCOM, and AZCOM.

So my grades are decent but my MCAT sucks. Any advice would be much appreciated!

I graduated May 2014 from Barrett the Honors College at Arizona State University with a B.S. in Microbiology and a Minor in Psychology.

MCAT: 25 (9VR, 9BS, 7PS)
Sad thing is that I took it twice and got the same score even though the second time I studied for months like a crazy person and took a Princeton course. Not sure if I just psyched myself out or what but I hesitate to take it a third time. To say I was devastated is an understatement.

Cumulative gpa: 3.87
Not exactly sure what my science gpa is but it's high. I got mostly A's with a couple B's in chemistry.

Clinical volunteer experience:
- 2 years with Face In The Mirror working directly with cancer patients and hospital staff.
- Interned at a neurologists office for about 6 months… lots of patient interaction.. I was basically a medical assistant and did a bunch of paperwork/testing/vitals/etc.

Physician shadowing:
-Currently shadowing an ENT in his private practice once a week for about four hours at a time. Anticipate doing that for several months.

Research:
- Did undergraduate research for a semester in a pox virus lab studying the vector capability of pox virus for vaccines. No research project or hypothesis project completed unfortunately. I wasn't there long enough.
- Listed as third author on a research paper submitted for publication investigating the effects of stigma on HIV from the perspective of health care providers in Tanzania. Done with Southwest Interdisciplinary Research Center at ASU (SIRC).
- Did my honors thesis on the efficacy of Heal International's public health program in Tanzania, Africa. Collected date, ran data in SPSS, wrote a ridiculously long paper that I am going to try to submit as a pilot study with SIRC.

Non-clinical volunteer experience:
- 3 years in Science Detectives teaching science lessons to elementary students
- 3 years in HEAL International (non-profit & student club)
- First started off as a volunteer, then Event Coordinator, then President and now I'm hired as their paid Program Coordinator
- 2 summers teaching public health in Tanzania, Africa with HEAL
- First summer just volunteer
- Second summer I had a leadership role as Director of Education and also did my honors thesis
- Just started volunteering regularly at Flight 33 tutoring at risk indigenous and latino youth and I also want to start incorporating health lessons

Work experience
- TA for Genetics 2 semesters
- on campus work
- Tutor with at risk youth (diff from Flight 33)
- Just interviewed for a position working full time as a medical scribe… they called and said they wanted to hire me but it isn't official yet.

Misc:
- I dance and play the piano.. trained in both since I was 3 years old
- I was in a sorority in college

I apologize for the long post… I just want the responders to have a thorough and unbiased view of who I am. Please be honest but also constructive.

Recommendations on schools to apply to would be much appreciated as well. Thank you in advance!

Reactions: 1 user
I am not sanguine about your chances at any MD school as a 25 is quite lethal. The two AZ schools are least worth trying.

Even for DO programs, you're limited. Aim for the newest programs, and definitely skip the Touros, CCOM, and AZCOM.
I see where you're coming from, but I think AZCOM is worth trying. Everything else is prestine and it's not unheard of (though admittedly rare) to get in with a 25. I think TU Nevada would be worth trying.

AZCOM is specifically telling people not to apply with a 28 or less. Noses in the air and all that.

I see where you're coming from, but I think AZCOM is worth trying. Everything else is prestine and it's not unheard of (though admittedly rare) to get in with a 25. I think TU Nevada would be worth trying.

The 10th% for both AZ schools (I presume you are a resident of AZ) is 27. That means to me that at least a handful of folks may have gotten in with (2) 25's.

You have a far better chance at DO schools and the under-served will not mind.

Almost no patient cares if you are MD/DO not just the underserved.

Thank you for the responses. I appreciate the honesty. I realize my chances are low.. and if I don't get into an MD school then I will consider applying for DO. Unfortunately I've never shadowed one so I would need to take care of that before even considering applying.

What other schools would you recommend applying to? I have Nevada already… I feel like most schools are a long shot for me…it would just be nice to have a few others that I have a decent chance at.

Maybe this is a silly question but what is Touros and CCOM? I am not familiar with these acronyms… thanks!

Thank you for the responses. I appreciate the honesty. I realize my chances are low.. and if I don't get into an MD school then I will consider applying for DO. Unfortunately I've never shadowed one so I would need to take care of that before even considering applying.

What other schools would you recommend applying to? I have Nevada already… I feel like most schools are a long shot for me…it would just be nice to have a few others that I have a decent chance at.
If you are fluent in Spanish, you have a shot at the three Puerto Rican schools that accept main-landers.
It often only takes a day to get a DO letter and their cycle is longer by a couple of months.

The fact that you're still holding hope for an MD acceptance and not focusing on DO is a big problem.

Reactions: 2 users
100% concur. The avg MCAT score for MD matriculants is 31. Many schools have a 33 or higher. Therefore, your 25 makes you noncompetitive for them

CCOM = Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine. Their avg is ~30. Ditto for the NY and CA branches of Touro University COM.

The fact that you're still holding hope for an MD acceptance and not focusing on DO is a big problem.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so are you suggesting I just withdraw my application even though I've already submitted my primary to several schools?

Ok so are you suggesting I just withdraw my application even though I've already submitted my primary to several schools?
There is no sense spending $ on secondaries where you have no chance.
You may as well continue with the two AZ schools. Your chances are small but they are your only MD hope at this point.
There is no advantage to active withdrawal. By not sending in a secondary you will eventually be passively withdrawn.

You may still be a candidate for DO schools this cycle if you get your research done.
Many of them will take an MD letter in lieu of DO if you can't find one...

There is no sense spending $ on secondaries where you have no chance.
You may as well continue with the two AZ schools. Your chances are small but they are your only MD hope at this point.
There is no advantage to active withdrawal. By not sending in a secondary you will eventually be passively withdrawn.

You may still be a candidate for DO schools this cycle if you get your research done.

I don't have any DO connections so it would probably be at least a few weeks before I could shadow one and I know you need a letter from a DO in order to apply to DO schools. Other than that you don't think it is too late to consider applying DO? What if I applied for MD again next cycle with a better MCAT score? Would being a re-applicant hurt my chances at getting in?

I don't have any DO connections so it would probably be at least a few weeks before I could shadow one and I know you need a letter from a DO in order to apply to DO schools. Other than that you don't think it is too late to consider applying DO? What if I applied for MD again next cycle with a better MCAT score? Would being a re-applicant hurt my chances at getting in?
If you want to start next fall you need to dramatically shift focus to a DO application. Many DO schools will accept any physician endorsement and some will even allow you get a letter at the time of the interview!
It is getting late to be verified by AACOMAS. I'll leave it to others to refine that response (@Goro?).
The odds that you will have a much higher score with additional material (the new MCAT) is modest at best.

You will be a re-applicant at all the schools you indicated in this cycle.
Your multiple low MCAT's in addition to being a re-applicant are big impediments to MD success.

If you want to start next fall you need to dramatically shift focus to a DO application. Many DO schools will accept any physician endorsement and some will even allow you get a letter at the time of the interview!
It is getting late to be verified by AACOMAS. I'll leave it to others to refine that response (@Goro?).
The odds that you will have a much higher score with additional material (the new MCAT) is modest at best.

You will be a re-applicant at all the schools you indicated in this cycle.
Your multiple low MCAT's in addition to being a re-applicant are big impediments to MD success.

I appreciate the feedback.. I'm trying to stay positive.. but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't perturbed by everyone's candor. I will start looking into the DO application process. I think I am ok waiting until next cycle if it is too late for this cycle. I will hopefully start as a full time scribe in November and will be able to continue that until I begin school.

Here is another crazy idea.. please just bare with me and try to empathize with my position… what if I withdrew my application (passively or actively) and served in something like Peace Corps/Americorps/Teach for America for two years. By then my old MCATs will be null anyways right if its been three years or will med schools be able to see them anyways even though they won't accept them? Could I then retake the MCAT and reapply with a better score later down the road? I'm only 22 so I'd be about the average matriculation age anyways. The first time I took the MCAT I didn't study enough… the second time I really should have done better but I think my confidence was low and my anxiety was through the roof.. this test is only going to determine whether we can pursue our dreams after all. I really do think I could do well on this test if I could just get my anxiety and confidence in check. Anyways what are everyone's thoughts on this idea?

P.S. thank you for the responses… I really do appreciate it.. even if some of the remarks are more insulting than helpful. I'm trying not to take it personally.

My last response was meant for everyone.. not just gyngyn. Though your advice has been very helpful gyngyn. Just wanted to clarify in case it wasn't clear.

While there are some DO schools that require a DO LOR, many (including mine) will take an MD LOR.

It is not too late to apply to DO schools. Mine has a ~six week turn around time from receipt of secondaries to issuance of IIs, and so even if you get your materials all in to us by Dec, then you'd still be interviewing for a seat, instead of a spot on the wait list.

You have taken the MCAT 2x with lots of prep, yet you still couldn't master it. Why do you think you will magically do better the next time? Wishful thinking is not a sound application strategy. And most MD schools will average your scores, not take the most recent.

If you have a calling to be of service in any of the organizations you have indicated, do so. Though laudable, it will have small effect on the weakness of your application for medical school, though ( the MCAT). You would need to show a dramatic MCAT improvement for an MD application with or without the time lapse and interval good deeds.

It is a common misconception that "old" MCAT scores expire or have no effect. While old scores lose application utility, they are visible and remain a potent factor in the application. Both the number of attempts as well as each set of scores will be open for individual (often idiosyncratic) interpretation.

Last edited by a moderator:
While there are some DO schools that require a DO LOR, many (including mine) will take an MD LOR.

It is not too late to apply to DO schools. Mine has a ~six week turn around time from receipt of secondaries to issuance of IIs, and so even if you get your materials all in to us by Dec, then you'd still be interviewing for a seat, instead of a spot on the wait list.

You have taken the MCAT 2x with lots of prep, yet you still couldn't master it. Why do you think you will magically do better the next time? Wishful thinking is not a sound application strategy. And most MD schools will average your scores, not take the most recent.

Alright I will look into schools that will accept letters of rec from an MD. Do you mind if I ask what school you went to so I know to include it in my search? Also all my letters have been written with MD in mind… meaning they've said things like "medical student" and "your medical program" and "future physician." Is this lingo appropriate for DO letters or will they see that as odd? I don't mean any disrespect I just want to know if I need to have my letters readjusted.

Also no.. I do not believe that I will do "magically" better. That is ridiculous. I don't know why I didn't improve last time but I should have and for whatever reason I didn't. If I choose to take a third time… of course it won't happen magically and will require an immense amount of work on my part but if it means that I then have a shot at getting into an MD school or a better shot at a DO school then I will do it.

Alright I will look into schools that will accept letters of rec from an MD. Do you mind if I ask what school you went to so I know to include it in my search? Also all my letters have been written with MD in mind… meaning they've said things like "medical student" and "your medical program" and "future physician." Is this lingo appropriate for DO letters or will they see that as odd? I don't mean any disrespect I just want to know if I need to have my letters readjusted.

Also no.. I do not believe that I will do "magically" better. That is ridiculous. I don't know why I didn't improve last time but I should have and for whatever reason I didn't. If I choose to take a third time… of course it won't happen magically and will require an immense amount of work on my part but if it means that I then have a shot at getting into an MD school or a better shot at a DO school then I will do it.
@Goro would surely lose anonymity by disclosing his school!
Go to the AACOMAS website to get info on the types of LOR's requested at various DO schools.

Last edited by a moderator:
And just a FYI, Goro and gyngyn are faculty members and ADCOM members at their respective schools. They are a wealth of correct information.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: 1 users
We see those all the time so it won't be a problem.

Also all my letters have been written with MD in mind… meaning they've said things like "medical student" and "your medical program" and "future physician." Is this lingo appropriate for DO letters or will they see that as odd? I don't mean any disrespect I just want to know if I need to have my letters readjusted.

DO and MD schools are both medical schools. Why wouldn't it be OK for you to say physician or medical school?

If you really want to go to an MD school go and get a good MCAT score. You don't seem like you want to be a DO as you don't even recognize them as medical schools (absurd). You shouldn't apply to DO schools as a backup. You should want to be an osteopathic physician versus an allopathic physician.

However you won't get into an allopathic program unless you improve your MCAT as the ADCOMs have pointed out.

We see those all the time so it won't be a problem.

Also all my letters have been written with MD in mind… meaning they've said things like "medical student" and "your medical program" and "future physician." Is this lingo appropriate for DO letters or will they see that as odd? I don't mean any disrespect I just want to know if I need to have my letters readjusted.

Goro don't you think that part of the post was offensive.

Nope, OP was wondering if the LOR has to specifically say "osteopath", "osteopathic physician" or "DO", etc.

DO's don't like the term osteopath though. He never mentioned MD so why would he mention DO instead. He used generic terms like medical student. That implies DO students aren't medical student. That's offensive IMO! He also implied DO schools aren't medical programs.

If he said that he mentioned MD or allopathic physician I would understand what he was getting at. then I would agree with you. But what he actually said was offensive.

Nope. OP is just learning about DO's. How do you think your posts might affect someone being introduced to the field?

I would hope my posts would encourage him to do more research and learn that DO schools are medical programs and that DO students are medical students. And that DOs are physicians. Its not like I'm expecting him to know the history/issues/philosophical differences.

Is that unfair?

OK, Doc, time for a thicker skin. Op was referring to the language in the LORs from clinicians. Cut him some slack....he's a potential colleague of yours.

DO's don't like the term osteopath though. He never mentioned MD so why would he mention DO instead. He used generic terms like medical student. That implies DO students aren't medical student. That's offensive IMO! He also implied DO schools aren't medical programs.

If he said that he mentioned MD or allopathic physician I would understand what he was getting at. then I would agree with you. But what he actually said was offensive.

Reactions: 3 users
OK, Doc, time for a thicker skin. Op was referring to the language in the LORs from clinicians. Cut him some slack....he's a potential colleague of yours.
Even still if he was referring to LORs why would he be concerned that they are saying DO schools are medical schools.

This really got under my skin. If OP came back and admits that the question was erroneous I would be OK.

His post reminded me of the time when someone asked you if you could complete your medical online from your college. I guess that's why I got upset.

There are bigger fish to fry, like the resident that constantly bashing DOs in the Residency forums...I suspect that he's what my DO colleague once described as a "self-hating DO". Either that, or he's a Carib diploma mill grad that got lucky.

Even still if he was referring to LORs why would he be concerned that they are saying DO schools are medical schools.

This really got under my skin. If OP came back and admits that the question was erroneous I would be OK.

His post reminded me of the time when someone asked you if you could complete your medical online from your college. I guess that's why I got upset.

I would hope my posts would encourage him to do more research and learn that DO schools are medical programs and that DO students are medical students. And that DOs are physicians. Its not like I'm expecting him to know the history/issues/philosophical differences.

Is that unfair?
There are effective ways to present information in a supportive environment.

There are effective ways to present information in a supportive environment.

I could have been nicer but its hard to do on the internet.

There are bigger fish to fry, like the resident that constantly bashing DOs in the Residency forums...I suspect that he's what my DO colleague once described as a "self-hating DO". Either that, or he's a Carib diploma mill grad that got lucky.

Didn't know about that. Now im even more outraged!

Gyngyn and Goro.. I am glad that you did not misunderstand or interpret my question in an offensive manner. I absolutely meant no disrespect. As for DoctorSynthesis.. I think you completely misunderstood my intentions and understanding. As goro mentioned… I was simply trying to clarify if there was a difference in language between letters of rec for MD and DO schools. I didn't mean anything by it in terms of a DO's ability to practice medicine.

Also I am referred to a lot as a "he"… I happen to be female :)

Thank you for the information! As goro said… I am learning about DO's. I only know a little bit about what it means to be a DO but I am researching the field more and finding it to my liking.

@Goro would surely lose anonymity by disclosing his school!
Go to the AACOMAS website to get info on the types of LOR's requested at various DO schools.

I'm sorry I didn't not realize.. I am new to student doctor so I was not aware of this. I will look at the website you mentioned. Thank you!

If you have a calling to be of service in any of the organizations you have indicated, do so. Though laudable, it will have small effect on the weakness of your application for medical school, though ( the MCAT). You would need to show a dramatic MCAT improvement for an MD application with or without the time lapse and interval good deeds.

It is a common misconception that "old" MCAT scores expire or have no effect. While old scores lose application utility, they are visible and remain a potent factor in the application. Both the number of attempts as well as each set of scores will be open for individual (often idiosyncratic) interpretation.

Ok thank you this information is extremely helpful.

@DoctorSynthesis @Goro @gyngyn @AlbinoHawk DO

Hello everyone! I just wanted to take a minute to notify you all that so far in the application process I have received 4 interview invites and 1 acceptance into an MD program. I appreciate the advice that you all provided early on in the process but I am glad that I stuck it out and did not withdraw my application. The school happens to be my top choice so far and is a fantastic program. Honestly, I am probably more surprised than you all that I actually got in because my confidence was at an all time low. I don't know if I'll receive any additional acceptances but one is all you need right? Thanks again and remember that MCAT is not everything!

Hello everyone! I just wanted to take a minute to notify you all that so far in the application process I have received 4 interview invites and 1 acceptance into an MD program. I appreciate the advice that you all provided early on in the process but I am glad that I stuck it out and did not withdraw my application. The school happens to be my top choice so far and is a fantastic program. Honestly, I am probably more surprised than you all that I actually got in because my confidence was at an all time low. I don't know if I'll receive any additional acceptances but one is all you need right? Thanks again and remember that MCAT is not everything!

Congratulations!

Congratulations.

Congrats! Best of luck.

However, the MCAT is an extremely important test that fairly accurately predicts your ability to pass medical school. Most over 24 will pass. Its very important for admission and generally people with a sub 28 MCAT(depending on the state) have a very small chance at MD and people with sub 23 MCAT have a small chance at DO. Don't use a n=1 example to undermine the test. Just be happy with your success (as I am) and move on. And please realize the both DO and MD schools are medical schools.

Good luck!

(disregard this didn't read whole topic)

Last edited:

Can you PM me with your school? This way we can be of greater help to others.

Can you PM me with your school? This way we can be of greater help to others.

I would be happy to! Do I just click on "start a conversation?" to PM you?