Do I have a shot at any DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BestDoctorEver

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.2/3.3 c/sGPA

MCAT scores 24 (9PS/6VR/9BS) after getting 17 (6PS/3VR/8BS) in 2011

URM(AA)

Non-traditional with 1000k+ hours clinical exposure as a nurse

75+ hours of various ECs

50 hours shadowing (MD/DO) and DO LOR

No research:thumbdown:

I really want DO but I am worried that my first MCAT score will make schools take a pass on my application....Do I have a shot at any DO school? I am willing to go anywhere...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
yes, you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
No need to apply to all of them. Apply to a range of schools that you are comfortable with.

Here is my list:

1. ACOM
2. CUSOM
3. MUCOM
4. LMU-DCOM
5. LECOM-E
6. LECOM-B
7. NOVA
8. ATSU-SOMA
9. AZCOM
10. ATSU-KCOM
11. PCOM-GA
12. VCOM-VC

Should I add more?

Personally I would take out AZCOM and add all the Touros

Here is my list:

1. ACOM
2. CUSOM
3. MUCOM
4. LMU-DCOM
5. LECOM-E
6. LECOM-B
7. NOVA
8. ATSU-SOMA
9. AZCOM
10. ATSU-KCOM
11. PCOM-GA
12. VCOM-VC

Should I add more?

Don't bother with azcom. They are mcat obsessed. You should be fine applying to just these.

Ok... I will take AZCOM out and add all the touros... Thanks:thumbup:

3.2/3.3 c/sGPA

URM(AA)

75+ hours of various ECs

I really want DO but I am worried that my first MCAT score will make schools take a pass on my application....Do I have a shot at any DO school? I am willing to go anywhere...

Wow, congrats on the 7 points jump, and especially on doubling your verbal score. I'm sure it wasn't easy at all. Been there done that. Now, you look ready to get some interviews. Just apply broadly and smartly. Good luck!

Don't bother with azcom. They are mcat obsessed. You should be fine applying to just these.

Lol...You are probably right! I just took a look again at that spreadsheet of stats/cost that is circulating in the DO forum and AZCOM has one the highest average MCAT (28). Some of the Touros have high average score as well. I also heard that Touro NV screen for score lower than 25. Anyway, I will add Touro NY, CA, WCUCOM and PNWU.

3.2/3.3 c/sGPA

URM(AA)

75+ hours of various ECs

The MCAT is better the second time; however, that verbal may raise some eyebrows. You're a URM which will definitely help from what i've heard. Nice clinical exposure. If I were you, I may shadow hopefully maybe another 50 hours. As a sophomore, I have about 150 hours with two MDs.

Research is not that important from what I've asked around. The pre med advisor at my school said it was not necessary; however, I've heard it can help if you have publications.

The MCAT is better the second time; however, that verbal may raise some eyebrows. You're a URM which will definitely help from what i've heard. Nice clinical exposure. If I were you, I may shadow hopefully maybe another 50 hours. As a sophomore, I have about 150 hours with two MDs.

Research is not that important from what I've asked around. The pre med advisor at my school said it was not necessary; however, I've heard it can help if you have publications.

VR has always been my issue and I am afraid that my VR reasoning score might go down if take it again...I spent 4 months studying and about half of that time was spent in VR (reading a lot and do passages)... I know I can increase my BS and PS but not too sure that I can increase that VR by a lot... I will try to add another 25 shadowing hours...I think that is the most I can do before submitting my application. I also did some paid tutoring in college...May be I should add that... Thanks for your input :thumbup:

VR has always been my issue and I am afraid that my VR reasoning score might go down if take it again...I spent 4 months studying and about half of that time was spent in VR (reading a lot and do passages)... I know I can increase my BS and PS but not too sure that I can increase that VR by a lot... I will try to add another 25 shadowing hours...I think that is the most I can do before submitting my application. I also did some paid tutoring in college...Ma be I should add that... Thanks for your input :thumbup:

No problem and once you get into medical school, I would like some input when I put my "chance me" on this website ;)

Wow, congrats on the 7 points jump, and especially on doubling your verbal score. I'm sure it wasn't easy at all. Been there done that. Now, you look ready to get some interviews. Just apply broadly and smartly. Good luck!

Thanks... I see you have a nice jump as well...Congrats... I knew VR was my issue from day 1... I work very hard to get it to that 6...Pathetic! I know! I knew it was not that hard to get 9+ in PS/BS. I was shooting for a 27 (10/7/10) but it did not happen. I am going to apply with that 24 and hope for the best because I don't want to spend another 4 months of my life studying for that test again...I commented on your post regarding your chances and I think you have nothing to worry about.

Lol...You are probably right! I just took a look again at that spreadsheet of stats/cost that is circulating in the DO forum and AZCOM has one the highest average MCAT (28). Some of the Touros have high average score as well. I also heard that Touro NV screen for score lower than 25. Anyway, I will add Touro NY, CA, WCUCOM and PNWU.

I applied last cycle with a MCAT <25 and they rejected me saying 25 was the cut off.

Ok... I will take AZCOM out and add all the touros... Thanks:thumbup:
Don't bother with California. They are also MCAT obsessed with a 29 average. So much to the point that their average GPA is hurt by it.

Even for a URM, the MCAT might hurt. I'd definitely call some Admissions deans to see if you're competetive. Nursing background will help, though.

3.2/3.3 c/sGPA

URM(AA)

75+ hours of various ECs

Even for a URM, the MCAT might hurt. I'd definitely call some Admissions deans to see if you're competetive. Nursing background will help, though.

I did call a few schools in my list and all of them told me the MCAT is not an issue even with that 6 in VR ..