Do I have a shot if I apply now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swiftjab

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my MCAT back and it showed that I'm not MD/DO material. I am still in love with medicine so I'll focus on pod now.

My stats are 3.59 GPA and 3.42 sGPA my MCAT is 8/6/10. Is it too late to apply this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not too late.
Your stats will get you in.
BUT, make sure pod is actually something you're interested in, you'll need to have shadowed a DPM and have a LOR from them. Can't stress enough that you shouldn't just pick podiatry because you can't get into allopathic/osteopathic. Just make sure you really think about it..
There's other fields of medicine to look into as well.
Best of luck

It isn't like DO or MD schools where your window to be a better applicant comes and goes within a month. With those stats you could even apply in January and still get in. Have you shadowed a podiatrist yet? Because even with good stats the admissions committee may be hesitant to accept you quicker than others if it gives them a reason that you are only going down podiatry because you are a DO or MD reject with no LOR from a podiatrist.

SHADOW. SHADOW. SHADOW!!! So the best idea would be to start shadowing now, get that LOR, and then apply after you get that LOR.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you apply now, you will not have a problem getting in wherever you want. As long as you aren't a weirdo.

Reactions: 1 user
The best way I found to shadow was by using this: http://www.aacpm.org/contactpod/
On it, it will list podiatrists willing to let students visit and shadow (look for those that specify shadowing).
Hope this helps-all schools require a letter and you should definitely shadow before applying so that you can write about it in your personal statement/have that LOR.

The best way I found to shadow was by using this: http://www.aacpm.org/contactpod/
On it, it will list podiatrists willing to let students visit and shadow (look for those that specify shadowing).
Hope this helps-all schools require a letter and you should definitely shadow before applying so that you can write about it in your personal statement/have that LOR.
THANKS! Even though my state doesn't have a single podiatrist haha

I highly doubt your state doesn't have at least one podiatrist. If you absolutely can not find someone, contact Daniel Taubman, career promotion coordinator. He'll connect you with someone in your area.

Look under "Shadowing a Podiatric Physician" in the link below for his contact information:
http://www.aacpm.org/html/careerzone/pdfs/2015 CIB.pdf

Please share what state this is... is it not part of the continental US?
Sorry, my state does have many podiatrists. What I was trying to say was that there was no podiatrists listed under my state from the link that was provided.

GOOGLE IT!!! Unless you live in Idaho, Wyoming, North Dakota, Alaska, Hawaii, or South Dakota you can easily find a podiatrist within 10 miles of where you live. Use the Yellow Pages or Heathgrades and look up a podiatrist to shadow. Are you currently in school?