Do I have any chance with no Dr. relatives???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allecj

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm only in my first year of college to earn my bachelor's in pre-dental. I really want to be a dentist, but 2 different dentists have told me that in order to get accepted into dental school you have to be related to a dentist (they actually said a parent). .

Is this true??!! I need to know in order to plan my future! Is the system that rigged? I don't want to waste my time and money if I have no chance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is the biggest BS I've heard in a while. 110% not true

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 17 users
It's actually more challenging, in my opinion, to have a parent as a dentist because then you get questioned on if you want to be a dentist for yourself or for your parents. In every interview I've had so far they've asked me about it. So, no, it's definetly not a disadvantage to not have a relative who is a dentist. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do yourself a favor and find a better dentist/dentists to shadow. Find one that is very engaged with their alumni network and of course with reality.

Reactions: 5 users
Although many of my classmates have parents that are dentists it won't make it any easier from an admissions standpoint. You still have to have the stats, ECs, letters, and shadowing experience to be competitive.

The only thing that will be better if your parent's are dentists is that you will have a much easier time getting a practice to go into. Lol.

Reactions: 3 users
I think I know more people in my class who don't have any relatives who are dentists than people who do.

Reactions: 3 users
Although many of my classmates have parents that are dentists it won't make it any easier from an admissions standpoint. You still have to have the stats, ECs, letters, and shadowing experience to be competitive.

Sorry, while good advice posted for OP throughout here, don't be fooled by people sugarcoating you - this statement above is categorically false. Legacy children from parents or grandparents always hold some positive selection weight in the admissions process on their profiles (albeit little... which actually determines alot) , especially if that legacy from said university donated tons of money, is well-established in faculty or community practice currently, or made major contributions to the school's progress in any meaningful way.

It is no coincidence whatsoever that many of the students you see graduating from their DMD or MD programs have their grandparents or parents hooding them. Obviously, this doesn't push them to immediate acceptance with a horrifyingly bad profile (although there are have been exceptions even to this historically).

It's incredibly naive to believe that legacy children are simply outworking the majority, when the majority of their pool is being accepted. The truth is legacy children, with enough application tries, will eventually get in - the same can't be said for the rest of us. If their profiles are even at all competitive with others, and they happen to have any sort of pulse in communication, in-state admissions will often given them the edge on a 50-50 decision, which is often how people are decided for acceptance in-state on few seats anyway. Public dental schools would rather take the established family line committed to the dental field, since their legacy has shown a commitment beyond basic 4 years of a student paying DMD tuition. Moreover, that long-term commitment constitutes "good fit" as dental schools use today to mask any profile deficiencies against others.

It's the same nonsense you see in Automatic Admission programs that dental schools have for students out of highschool (as if you don't change from those years...) - often times, there are better statistical and overall applicants out there applying in-state in those cycles, but Automatic Admission applicants hit their bare minimums and cannot be denied the basic "good fit" narrative that's already placed on them.

Don't assume dental admissions has zero corrupt flaws. Just had to throw it out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, while good advice posted for OP throughout here, don't be fooled by people sugarcoating you - this statement above is categorically false. Legacy children from parents or grandparents always hold some positive selection weight in the admissions process on their profiles (albeit little... which actually determines alot) , especially if that legacy from said university donated tons of money, is well-established in faculty or community practice currently, or made major contributions to the school's progress in any meaningful way.

It is no coincidence whatsoever that many of the students you see graduating from their DMD or MD programs have their grandparents or parents hooding them. Obviously, this doesn't push them to immediate acceptance with a horrifyingly bad profile (although there are have been exceptions even to this historically).

It's incredibly naive to believe that legacy children are simply outworking the majority, when the majority of their pool is being accepted. The truth is legacy children, with enough application tries, will eventually get in - the same can't be said for the rest of us. If their profiles are even at all competitive with others, and they happen to have any sort of pulse in communication, in-state admissions will often given them the edge on a 50-50 decision, which is often how people are decided for acceptance in-state on few seats anyway. Public dental schools would rather take the established family line committed to the dental field, since their legacy has shown a commitment beyond basic 4 years of a student paying DMD tuition. Moreover, that long-term commitment constitutes "good fit" as dental schools use today to mask any profile deficiencies against others.

It's the same nonsense you see in Automatic Admission programs that dental schools have for students out of highschool (as if you don't change from those years...) - often times, there are better statistical and overall applicants out there applying in-state in those cycles, but Automatic Admission applicants hit their bare minimums and cannot be denied the basic "good fit" narrative that's already placed on them.

Don't assume dental admissions has zero corrupt flaws. Just had to throw it out there.
Basically this is my understanding. Having dentists relative is by no means a guarantee that you will be accepted but all things being equal it can certainly help. Plenty of people get in who have no "connections" but there are also people going in who are set to be third or fourth generation dentist as well. Do your best in school and stay out of trouble and there is no reason why you can't be accepted with out relatives already in the field.

Reactions: 1 users
That is completely untrue. In fact, I think you stand out way more in the applicant pool if you are the first to pursue a graduate or undergraduate degree in your family.

For instance, neither of my parents attended college and I already have 5 interview invites, including Columbia. Also, for one school in particular, Rutgers, the dean of admissions made it very clear in her presentation they look for qualified applicants not those who are entitled, whether it be there parents are dentists or donated to the school, etc.

Already have 3 pre-dec interviews and I have no relatives anywhere in my family tree who are in the dental field in any way.

I agree with this. I have no relatives in dentistry, but a majority of my classmates do have parents that literally went to the school. It definitely helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with this. I have no relatives in dentistry, but a majority of my classmates do have parents that literally went to the school. It definitely helps!
I disagree. I think the reason why most of your classmates have parents that went to the school and are dentists is because most people who are applying are those with relatives in dentistry. But I don't think having relatives in dentistry is negative on your application either, it is good to already be connected with people and have exposure to the field. I think they're paying more attention to applicant's own achievements and Stats as opposed to what their parents do for a living.

I disagree. I think the reason why most of your classmates have parents that went to the school and are dentists is because most people who are applying are those with relatives in dentistry. But I don't think having relatives in dentistry is negative on your application either, it is good to already be connected with people and have exposure to the field. I think they're paying more attention to applicant's own achievements and Stats as opposed to what their parents do for a living.

So over 3000 people apply for 100 spots and a large majority the admitted students have parents that went to the school and it doesn't help? Please explain that.

There are obviously benefits to having relatives who are dentists. For instance, my brother is a dentist. I was able to talk to him about the whole application process. What he majored in during undergrad, how he did on the DAT, what he did to prepare for interviews, etc.

However, why did I even consider dentistry a career in the first place? Him. I honestly think that a lot of applicants have relatives who are dentists and they are applying because of the exposure they already have to the career. That goes the same for other careers too. Many of my friends who became teachers have parents who are teachers. Or they became nurses because they have family members who are also nurses.

So over 3000 people apply for 100 spots and a large majority the admitted students have parents that went to the school and it doesn't help? Please explain that.

Bingo. Xojessmariex3 is living in a fantasy land when it comes to legacy applicant pools.

There are obviously benefits to having relatives who are dentists. For instance, my brother is a dentist. I was able to talk to him about the whole application process. What he majored in during undergrad, how he did on the DAT, what he did to prepare for interviews, etc.

However, why did I even consider dentistry a career in the first place? Him. I honestly think that a lot of applicants have relatives who are dentists and they are applying because of the exposure they already have to the career. That goes the same for other careers too. Many of my friends who became teachers have parents who are teachers. Or they became nurses because they have family members who are also nurses.
Bingo.

I have no relatives that are dentists and have one interview. You can do it ^__^ ! Stats, letters, ECs are very important. Ofc connections do help a lot lol.

I am not saying it doesn't help. I'm saying I think it is nice to have on your application because obviously you have some sort of connection. However, that's not the only way to become exposed to the profession or the application process etc. Being in a Pre dental club also helps with the DAT, application process, etc. Also shadowing or working at a dental office is possibly arguably better than having a relative who is a dentist. Aside from other achievements including GPA, DAT, leadership roles, Letters, etc. There are so many factors taken into the holistic review. I don't think not having a relative has a significant NEGATIVE impact on your application. Also, Dr. Chaviano from Rutgers specifically stated having relatives in dentistry or any connection to the school does not guarantee you a seat.

I honestly think that a lot of applicants have relatives who are dentists and they are applying because of the exposure they already have to the career. That goes the same for other careers too. Many of my friends who became teachers have parents who are teachers. Or they became nurses because they have family members who are also nurses.

This is also what I meant lets say there are 3000 applicants. Although I don't have exact numbers, I would say around 2000 would probably have family members who are dentists, or at least physicians etc. My pre health advisor told me that being 1st generation makes you stand out because most applicants, at least from my school specifically are 2nd 3rd or 4th generation.

This thread reflects the true state of admissions in America not only to medical or dental, but to any prestigious organization.

This thread reflects the true state of admissions in America not only to medical or dental, but to any prestigious organization.
You mean ANYTHING in life. If you have connections, it makes things easier.

You mean ANYTHING in life. If you have connections, it makes things easier.

Yea that sounds fair and just. The admissions should take off the equal opportunity standards statement. The double standard is absolutely repulsive.

I have no dentist relatives. It all worked out for me.

Thank you all for your honest input...some very mixed opinions. But great advice to think on....keep it coming, please! Who knows where the road will take me.

I am very lucky to have two years of experience working part-time as a dental prosthetics lab assistant, trained to do most of the work - I've heard that could help quite a bit! (And if you are wondering how I was able to get the job in high school ...Connections!!! Haha! How ironic)

I have no dentist relatives. It all worked out for me.

No one said it's required to have a dentist in the family to be accepted. We are saying it helps. For the record I don't have any family members in dentistry either.

No relatives in dentistry, 12 pre-dec interviews. Would I have more if I was related to a dentist? Maybe. But really you only need one acceptance to become a dentist. Get good stats, be interesting, and you should have no trouble getting into dental school.

I'm only in my first year of college to earn my bachelor's in pre-dental. I really want to be a dentist, but 2 different dentists have told me that in order to get accepted into dental school you have to be related to a dentist (they actually said a parent). .

Is this true??!! I need to know in order to plan my future! Is the system that rigged? I don't want to waste my time and money if I have no chance.
complete BS. Yea sure, if you have dentist parents, they will give you a blueprint of what to do to become a dentist, even then if you don't put in the work, how will you get there...sure kids of doctors have it easier but there are many people who come from poverty to become doctors.
I really hope that dentist was kidding or he is just a negative person....
an example :http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12359176

I'm not sure if having Dentist/physician parents matters, but I do think socioeconomic status can influence the ease of this whole process. You can still get in coming from poverty, but it's harder. My family is comfortable financially (in my opinion), so I have alot of respect for those that go through this whole process with less money.

That's all I meant. Its good to have connections because it makes the entire process easier; since your parents are familiar with the process and can provide financially as well. However, I think sometimes adcoms appreciate people who have about the same credentials from a lower "socioeconomic status." They realize its a bit harder for those without parents in a medical field.

Neither of my parents graduated high school. I still have interviews. Connections help, but not a requirement.

That's all I meant. Its good to have connections because it makes the entire process easier; since your parents are familiar with the process and can provide financially as well. However, I think sometimes adcoms appreciate people who have about the same credentials from a lower "socioeconomic status." They realize its a bit harder for those without parents in a medical field.

haha yeah, wasn't disagreeing with you! Congrats on your interviews :)