Do I have chance at an SMP program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

may1721

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'll be senior this fall and I know my chances at getting into med school right after graduation is gone, but I've set new goals and I want to do an SMP to improve my chances. My cGPA is 3.28 and my sGPA is 2.67-3.0. (I'm really not sure after this last semester). I really struggled with chem (gen and orgo). Got C+'s in gen chem and C's in orgo. This last semester was especially tough for me because I lost my grandpa. IDK, it happened 1.5 months before the semester ended I kinda just lost a lot of motivation to study. That C- in orgo REALLY tanked my GPA. Also should mention that I am a biology major with a minor in biostats.

I have more determination going into my senior and even now, studying for my MCAT. I'm obviously working on scoring at least a 30. IF I can achieve that, are my chances getting into an SMP okay? I'd really like to go to Loyola MAMS (Loyola is currently my undergrad) or Midwestern or RFU but will apply to others.

If you don't think SMP would help, what would you recommend to improve my chances since I have such a bad gpa? Thanks. Also, advice on the MCAT or your experience with SMPs would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys. I'll be senior this fall and I know my chances at getting into med school right after graduation is gone, but I've set new goals and I want to do an SMP to improve my chances. My cGPA is 3.28 and my sGPA is 2.67-3.0. (I'm really not sure after this last semester). I really struggled with chem (gen and orgo). Got C+'s in gen chem and C's in orgo. This last semester was especially tough for me because I lost my grandpa. IDK, it happened 1.5 months before the semester ended I kinda just lost a lot of motivation to study. That C- in orgo REALLY tanked my GPA. Also should mention that I am a biology major with a minor in biostats.

I have more determination going into my senior and even now, studying for my MCAT. I'm obviously working on scoring at least a 30. IF I can achieve that, are my chances getting into an SMP okay? I'd really like to go to Loyola MAMS (Loyola is currently my undergrad) or Midwestern or RFU but will apply to others.
With the return of your determination to succeed, as you have this semester and part of senior year to demonstrate a steep upward grade trend and raise your BCPM GPA to (hopefully) greater than a 3.0, if you can get an MCAT of 30 or greater, you will be competitive for SMPs.