DO I have enough ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dontworybehappy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi so I'm not sure if I have enough ECs to apply this upcoming cycle, Here's what I have so far

1 year of research, no pubs
1 year as chemistry TA
~50 hrs hospital/clinic volunteering
~30 hrs shadowing(ped, surgeon, ent, surgeon)
and I'm going to be an ER scribe starting in May

Sent from my SPH-L710 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

HIGHLY recommend finding some non-medical volunteering gigs... just anything that demonstrates altruism. It sounds dumb but speaking from my personal experience this past application cycle, it seems schools really do care about that type of thing.

Also maybe more hospital volunteering/shadowing? 50 hours is relatively nothing.

Last edited:
I would get those volunteer/shadowing hours up...aim for 100 in each min

gl

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks good, but it also looks like there will be a ton of other applicants that look just like you :/ Agreed that you should find some non medical volunteering.. just something that separates you a bit from the crowd.

Moved to the "What are my Chances" forum, the appropriate place for this discussion.

I think ECs are lacking a little, assuming you are a third year. If you have done anything like intramural sports or have a long term hobby, make sure to include that. At this point if you are set on applying this year, I would keep doing what you are doing and make sure you can talk about the ECs intelligently.

I would get those volunteer/shadowing hours up...aim for 100 in each minl

I would definitely work on getting more volunteer hours, but I don't think you really need to shoot for 100 hours of shadowing. Sure, more is better but I thing trying to get around 50 will be just fine.

Looks pretty average.

Hi so I'm not sure if I have enough ECs to apply this upcoming cycle, Here's what I have so far

1 year of research, no pubs
1 year as chemistry TA
~50 hrs hospital/clinic volunteering
~30 hrs shadowing(ped, surgeon, ent, surgeon)
and I'm going to be an ER scribe starting in May

I would say on the average/weak side. Def try to find some other stuff to do the rest of the year. Any hobbies?

Alright. Thank you everyone. I'll do my best to get to 100hrs and start doing more non clinical volunteering. As for hobbies I played intramurals, joined some clubs, tutored, and was a youth mentor for a bit. I feel like thats pretty basic too though.

Alright. Thank you everyone. I'll do my best to get to 100hrs and start doing more non clinical volunteering. As for hobbies I played intramurals, joined some clubs, tutored, and was a youth mentor for a bit. I feel like thats pretty basic too though.

Definitely include this and see if you can pursue some other things, such as additional hobbies, community service, leadership, work experience, or awards/honors/scholarships.

You'll need 15 things on your AMCAS app to write about, three of which you need to expand upon as "most meaningful." Start thinking about what you're going to include. For a strong app, you'll want to discuss lessons/qualities/skills/insights gained during these activities that will serve you in med school and beyond. Work-life balance is a good thing to include too (and a good explanation for things like intramurals, arts on the side, etc...)