Do I have enough research to apply to top MSTP schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thenewguy02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have twenty months of research experience. The first six months were working closely with a graduate student and helping her with her projects. The last 14 months were working independently on my project (designing and following through). I spent about 20 hours a week in lab during this final year. I've presented one in one poster session, but the session was based on undergraduate research at my university. I won't have any publications. My research is a continuation of a graduating PhD students, and while it will likely be published, we can't move forward with it until the primary papers are published (that my work was based off). I plan to apply now to medical schools and take a gap year working as a tutor within the AmeriCorps (so no more research to update with).

I realize it is under the two recommended years for research, but I am going to have 5 very good letters of recommendation, and two good ones. I'm from a rural background, educationally disadvantaged. My cGPA is 3.99 and my sGPA is 4.00. My MCAT is 523. I only want to apply to MSTP schools that A) Have established research in the areas I am interested in, and B) Are places I could enjoy living at for 8 years. This limits my options. If I won't be competitive with under two years of research I plan to apply MD only and consider a PhD later. Will I be wasting my money if I apply to MSTP schools like UCSF, WashU, UW, or UM Ann Arbor?

Members don't see this ad.

So your stats (GPA and MCAT) are certainly within the caliber of top MSTP programs. Are you not continuing work on your current project because your graduating? Because if you were going to continue doing research during your gap yr, I would say that you'd have the minimum amount of sustained research exposure (more of course wouldn't hurt). Publications are a plus but not a pre-req for MSTP.

t cannot definitively say that you can't get into top programs with your stats (certainly MD-only), but you'd have to convince the adcom that you have what it takes to complete a PhD - which is why it's typically recommended that one has 2 yrs of sustained independent/mentored research experience.

So your stats (GPA and MCAT) are certainly within the caliber of top MSTP programs. Are you not continuing work on your current project because your graduating? Because if you were going to continue doing research during your gap yr, I would say that you'd have the minimum amount of sustained research exposure (more of course wouldn't hurt). Publications are a plus but not a pre-req for MSTP.

t cannot definitively say that you can't get into top programs with your stats (certainly MD-only), but you'd have to convince the adcom that you have what it takes to complete a PhD - which is why it's typically recommended that one has 2 yrs of sustained independent/mentored research experience.

Yes, I am graduating in June. My work in lab isn't paid, so I can't afford to continue it, and I've already accepted the AmeriCorps position. I'm in that tough spot where I have less research than ideal, but I can't get more independent work. I think it will boil down to if it is a waste to spend the money in the application for Md/Phd programs and just go for research oriented MD programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I am graduating in June. My work in lab isn't paid, so I can't afford to continue it, and I've already accepted the AmeriCorps position. I'm in that tough spot where I have less research than ideal, but I can't get more independent work. I think it will boil down to if it is a waste to spend the money in the application for Md/Phd programs and just go for research oriented MD programs.

If you want to have the 'best' possible application cycle (you could define that as getting into any program you want and not 'wasting' money on applications that may not yield an acceptance or something to that effect), here is a possible plan: don't apply this cycle, do AmeriCorps for the yr, apply for a research tech position (may be hard to find a 1 yr position but I know it's possible), apply for med school for the fall 2018 cycle and work for the gap yr as a tech.

Or you could apply this year, going wide + your state's programs (15-25 programs) and see how the chips fall. I guess it depends on how old your MCAT is and how quickly you'd like to start the MD/PhD. Your 3rd option would be applying to MD-only programs this year (top heavy), which should yield you some decent success. Then add research all along your training.

While this is just anecdotal evidence, I had a good number of "top" MSTP interviews this past cycle, and I can't remember a single person who was doing a gap year(s) that didn't involve research or a graduate degree program. Americorps is a fantastic program that will definitely strengthen your MD application, but it won't necessarily strengthen your MD/PhD application because ultimately it is a year away from research. Could you do research on the side during your Americorps year? If no, you may want to look into some research tech positions.

I think it will boil down to if it is a waste to spend the money in the application for Md/Phd programs and just go for research oriented MD programs.

This is a question you need to think about very hard. If you don't need the PhD and think you'd be satisfied with a research-oriented MD, that is definitely an easier path! Be sure you want the PhD before you plan your future around it.

Reactions: 1 users
While this is just anecdotal evidence, I had a good number of "top" MSTP interviews this past cycle, and I can't remember a single person who was doing a gap year(s) that didn't involve research or a graduate degree program. Americorps is a fantastic program that will definitely strengthen your MD application, but it won't necessarily strengthen your MD/PhD application because ultimately it is a year away from research. Could you do research on the side during your Americorps year? If no, you may want to look into some research tech positions.

This is a question you need to think about very hard. If you don't need the PhD and think you'd be satisfied with a research-oriented MD, that is definitely an easier path! Be sure you want the PhD before you plan your future around it.

Tangential question, but to those who have already applied/are in a program: how many people took gap years and did the dual degree? Just curious since it looks like on the MD-only side it's more and more common every year

Tangential question, but to those who have already applied/are in a program: how many people took gap years and did the dual degree? Just curious since it looks like on the MD-only side it's more and more common every year
I don't have numbers, but a lot. I would say that students who took gap year(s) for research or a degree program were in the majority at the schools I interviewed at. At least half. There is probably data somewhere out there!

Reactions: 1 user

I took some 'gap' yrs if you want to call it that. In the 4 yrs between UG and Med school, I worked as an R&D scientist/design engineer (2) and a masters student (2). I know several classmates who took at least 1-2 yrs off for research tech positions or fellowships.

I don't have numbers, but a lot. I would say that students who took gap year(s) for research or a degree program were in the majority at the schools I interviewed at. At least half. There is probably data somewhere out there!
In our MD-PhD applicant pool, the number of individuals taking a gap year is steadily increasing. Ten years ago, it was 15%; this year, it was nearly 60%.

I frequently encourage people *not* to take gap years for two reasons:

1. This training pathway is LONG and getting LONGER all the time. I'm getting my first job at age 35.

2. What research you do during your gap year is unlikely to apply to what you're doing as an attending physician.

Some people need a gap year or desire a gap year for whatever reason, but I encourage people not to feel pressured to do one.

Reactions: 2 users
I think your research experience is fine since the vast majority of it was working independently on your own project and the rest of your application is very strong. Wouldn't be worth taking two gap years imo. It'll probably help if your AmeriCorps has a science aspect to it (e.g. if your tutoring is in STEM). I don't think the fact that most gap year MSTP applicants are doing research means that you should be doing research too. I think that's just because research was the most convenient or obvious option for most of us. I would've preferred to spend the year teaching English abroad, but it didn't make the most sense for me personally and financially.

Echoing what others have said, yeah more than half of the ppl I met on the trail were on a gap year (or more) doing research or a fellowship. Though for my MSTP class in particular it's split 50/50.

Last edited: