Do I have enough time to study for the PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MC1910

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or should I push it back to the fall date? I'm planning on taking it in June and I'm starting to study today.

I will be done with my biochemistry bachelors this upcoming fall, but I've basically taken all my pre-req classes and all the bio, chem stuff. I just left generals and a couple of easy math classes until the end so really I feel like I should be ready for this if I just take some time to review.

I have roughly 5-6 months before the PCAT, is this overkill?

Members don't see this ad.

No dude, you're going to need at least a year, if not two, to review.

Is this a joke? 5-6months should be plenty. I would start about 15 days before the test and you'll be fine.

Or should I push it back to the fall date? I'm planning on taking it in June and I'm starting to study today.

I will be done with my biochemistry bachelors this upcoming fall, but I've basically taken all my pre-req classes and all the bio, chem stuff. I just left generals and a couple of easy math classes until the end so really I feel like I should be ready for this if I just take some time to review.

You just mentioned that you are about to get your bachelor's in biochemistry so studying for the PCAT for 5-6 months is honestly overkill and you will burn out. I honestly can't find anything to study for the PCAT more than 2 months. For me, I only started studying since December 25th for the January 10th exam (coming soon) and I feel really prepared. Come on, the PCAT is very basic math, chemistry, biology questions.

It would make more sense to study 5-6 months if it's the MCAT even though I still see that as more than necessary.

Don't stress out....get Dr. Collin's self study guide and you should do more than fine!

You have plenty of time if you know how to manage and utilize it wisely. You should take it by June before they make changes to the PCAT. Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Get a Dr. Collins study guide, recieved mine 1 month before the PCAT and it prepared me very well in that amount of time

If there was any subjects I was really rusty on then I casually studied them in advance (as in, I'd look at a bit here and there). I would say I only did hard core studying about a week before the test though. Granted, I was nervous as all heck during that week but I got a 91 composite so it seemed to be the right plan in the end.

I second what everyone else is saying. I was a biochem major and had completed everything needed for the PCAT besides A&P. I didn't do any studying until three weeks before the exam, in which I intended to study several hours every weekday and... you know how that I goes. I studied about half as much as I originally intended and still got an awesome PCAT score. Some people go nuts on studying and some people wing it. You just have to find what works for you without over/under-studying and without stressing out too much about it.

I used Kaplan, but I don't recommend it for the biology (very heavy on the physiology... probably taken straight from the MCAT book), chemistry (especially organic) or calculus sections. A lot of people seem to recommend Dr. Collins. My best advice is to take at least one full-length practice test and get used to the timing as that it was seems to get a lot of people. Good luck!