Do I have shot at getting interview & ultimately acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

contactspecs2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All! This is super long so please bear with me. I seek this forum's advice since I have a lack of guidance and unsure of where to look for information.

I have been interested in optometry for at least the last two and a half years (I just graduated in Nov 2013), however, I do have various obstacles in pursing my doctor of optometry. I have a preference to go to NECO, SUNY, ICO, and PCO (in that order).

Just some background:

I am a Canadian student who has recently graduated with an HBSc. My overall undergraduate cGPA is <3.0. In my first 1.5 years of undergrad I moved away from home and have yet to find my passion in science. However, upon realizing my goal; my 3rd and 4th year seasonal GPAs were 3.46 and 3.30 respectively. Majority of my classes were sciences throughout my undergraduate career (I took science electives as well). Since graduating, I have taken two English courses with an average of 3.0 and currently taking two chemistry courses. I plan to write the OAT beginning of March.

In addition to my academic studies, I had the following extracurriculars since entering university
- Working at children's hospital research lab with multiple projects
- Volunteered to work for two national epidemiological studies
- Worked at financial firm for almost 9 years now
- Researching genetics in stem cells at a lab in my university
- Research another lab in my university studying plant reproduction
- Worked as a cashier at a local pharmacy

My vision/optometry experiences are:
- 27 hours of shadowing an optometrist
- Subsequent to shadowing was offered a part time job at his office where I have logged 160+ hours working various positions (ie: pretesting - visual acuity test and machines like the autorefractor- office staff administration, receptionist, and dispensary/opticanry) and assist 4 different optometrists (2 of which graduated from NECO)
- Volunteer as a vision mate for low vision patients who have recently lost their sight

I was more focused on getting experience in optometry to confirm my passion/goal to become an optometrist and only recently became aware of the fact that schools have rolling admissions. Since I am writing my OAT in March (I have already submitted my transcripts, got my references, etc - just double checking my personal statement before sending it in this weekend) I figured I'd apply for this cycle.

My questions for you guys are:
1) Do you think it's reasonable for me to hope to get an interview this cycle (esp since it's so late/my low cGPA)? Is it even possible to gain acceptance? Esp at NECO?
2) Does grade improvement throughout undergraduate career have any factor in admissions?
3) I also read in a previous thread that Canadian students may have an "advantage" in terms of grade adjustments - can someone please elaborate (as the thread only stated that NECO does this but didn't go further)
4) Are extracurriculars significant? Do all my other extracurriculars and adjusting to living alone/uni life qualify as extenuating circumstances for poor grades?
5) If I don't make this cycle and apply early next cycle (ie: August/September), what are my chances of admission?
6) Any other tips? Tips discussion points on personal statement?
7) Who can I go to for professional help/guidance aside from advice on this forum?
8) Any insight on the optometry program at University of Melbourne in Australia and how easy/difficult is it to bring the degree back to North America (esp Canada)?

Thanks in advanced! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know that ICO's deadline to have everything in is 3/1

There are a lot of "will I make it?" posts on here, and many have had a GPA similar to yours. The typical advice is to contact the schools you are hoping to apply to. Talk to the people in admissions and they will give it to you straight. You will miss the deadline for some schools by applying in march for sure, so you should find out when the deadlines are for your chosen schools. Extracurriculars do matter, and schools will probably look at extenuating circumstances, although i'm not sure living alone while going through school will redeem your cGPA. I'm sure it was tough, but to be fair, others have gone through school alone and still managed to do well academically. Although I think it's helpful that you did much better your 3rd and 4th years, and I'm sure they will take that into consideration. Again, my advice is just talk to the schools. At this point your biggest concern is time. Good luck with everything, sorry I don't know anything about foreign Optometry schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
^ I agree. Call the schools. It sounds like you have A LOT more extracurriculars than most people on here by a long shot. I personally am one to believe in waiting the extra bit to apply early right as the cycle begins. This is a HUGE decision, and rushing it to save only a year isn't worth it to me, esp with how expensive the OAT is and applications. Taking the OAT twice and applying to a bunch of schools cost me $1,300. It can also give you more time to study for your OAT, as doing really well on that def. will help offset the lower GPA. Good luck!!

I would call some schools who also have lower entering GPA's and OAT scores. I'd say if one of them shows promise, apply now. The cost of OptomCAS is very little compared to a year not being in school yet.

My questions for you guys are:
1) Do you think it's reasonable for me to hope to get an interview this cycle (esp since it's so late/my low cGPA)? Is it even possible to gain acceptance? Esp at NECO?
2) Does grade improvement throughout undergraduate career have any factor in admissions?
3) I also read in a previous thread that Canadian students may have an "advantage" in terms of grade adjustments - can someone please elaborate (as the thread only stated that NECO does this but didn't go further)
4) Are extracurriculars significant? Do all my other extracurriculars and adjusting to living alone/uni life qualify as extenuating circumstances for poor grades?
5) If I don't make this cycle and apply early next cycle (ie: August/September), what are my chances of admission? I also applied to various other programs (masters, advanced diplomas, etc) to improve my academic standing whilst I wait.
6) Any other tips? Tips discussion points on personal statement?
7) Who can I go to for professional help/guidance aside from advice on this forum?
8) Any insight on the optometry program at University of Melbourne in Australia and how easy/difficult is it to bring the degree back to North America (esp Canada)?

Welcome!
1. It's pretty late in the cycle, so your GPA poses a challenge. There's a conversion for canadian GPAs and an overall improvement trend is always a positive! As far as I can remember, NECO is not one of those "minimum GPA required" before they would consider your application, so definitely give them a call.
With that said, you would still need a pretty stellar OAT to offset the GPA.
2. Definitely. It's also a great platform to talk about your new study habits and how well you can handle a tough science curriculum.
3. I'm not Canadian so no clue
4. Yes. The reason why schools interview is to determine your passion and knowledge about optometry. I think once you can get an interview (where they're primarily looking at your stats), your experiences should get you an acceptance
5. The earlier the cycle, the better. Maybe the admissions staff can tell you more exact of an advantage, but we wouldn't know here for certain.
6. Highlighting your experience and making it a unique statement would be ideal
7. Calling the school's admission counselor. They're all super friendly and nice; you sound very articulate, so it won't be scary at all. I would recommend being honest with your situation, as they are trying to be helpful and not "screening" anything before you apply
8. No idea

Last edited:
I know that ICO's deadline to have everything in is 3/1

Yea, I realized that too late. If I don't get any acceptances this year, I will apply again next year. Thanks though!

There are a lot of "will I make it?" posts on here, and many have had a GPA similar to yours. The typical advice is to contact the schools you are hoping to apply to. Talk to the people in admissions and they will give it to you straight. You will miss the deadline for some schools by applying in march for sure, so you should find out when the deadlines are for your chosen schools. Extracurriculars do matter, and schools will probably look at extenuating circumstances, although i'm not sure living alone while going through school will redeem your cGPA. I'm sure it was tough, but to be fair, others have gone through school alone and still managed to do well academically. Although I think it's helpful that you did much better your 3rd and 4th years, and I'm sure they will take that into consideration. Again, my advice is just talk to the schools. At this point your biggest concern is time. Good luck with everything, sorry I don't know anything about foreign Optometry schools.

Thanks for your honesty and your response! I called NECO and they said that their ideal candidate at the time is a 3.3 GPA with a 330 on the OAT but the seats are not completely full yet. Hopefully they will take everything into consideration!

^ I agree. Call the schools. It sounds like you have A LOT more extracurriculars than most people on here by a long shot. I personally am one to believe in waiting the extra bit to apply early right as the cycle begins. This is a HUGE decision, and rushing it to save only a year isn't worth it to me, esp with how expensive the OAT is and applications. Taking the OAT twice and applying to a bunch of schools cost me $1,300. It can also give you more time to study for your OAT, as doing really well on that def. will help offset the lower GPA. Good luck!!

Since I'm lacking time, I think I'm just going to apply for the schools that I really want to get into that haven't had their deadlines passed yet (NECO). Thank you for your response! Hopefully the extracurriculars and the improved grades give me a foot in the door. Does anyone know if multiple applications (like applying year after year) is detrimental to applications or have no weight?

I would call some schools who also have lower entering GPA's and OAT scores. I'd say if one of them shows promise, apply now. The cost of OptomCAS is very little compared to a year not being in school yet.

Thank you!

Welcome!
1. It's pretty late in the cycle, so your GPA poses a challenge. There's a conversion for canadian GPAs and an overall improvement trend is always a positive! As far as I can remember, NECO is not one of those "minimum GPA required" before they would consider your application, so definitely give them a call.
With that said, you would still need a pretty stellar OAT to offset the GPA.
2. Definitely. It's also a great platform to talk about your new study habits and how well you can handle a tough science curriculum.
3. I'm not Canadian so no clue
4. Yes. The reason why schools interview is to determine your passion and knowledge about optometry. I think once you can get an interview (where they're primarily looking at your stats), your experiences should get you an acceptance
5. The earlier the cycle, the better. Maybe the admissions staff can tell you more exact of an advantage, but we wouldn't know here for certain.
6. Highlighting your experience and making it a unique statement would be ideal
7. Calling the school's admission counselor. They're all super friendly and nice; you sound very articulate, so it won't be scary at all. I would recommend being honest with your situation, as they are trying to be helpful and not "screening" anything before you apply
8. No idea

Thank you! I called NECO (hahaha I was super nervous) and I found they were a little vague with what is possible with my situation. Though, my friends who were at NECO apparently talked about me and the admissions staff recognized my name when I called.... (hopefully good!)

SUNY is most certainly a no-go. They are big into statistics and unless you are able to get your cumulative to above a 3.0 or get a perfect 400, I don't think even an interview is likely.

That doesn't mean you don't have a shot at becoming an optometrist. SUNY is just a very competitive school that requires strong numbers. You have very good credentials that I think show your worthiness for school and I'm sure many schools would be lucky to have you.

SUNY is most certainly a no-go. They are big into statistics and unless you are able to get your cumulative to above a 3.0 or get a perfect 400, I don't think even an interview is likely.

That doesn't mean you don't have a shot at becoming an optometrist. SUNY is just a very competitive school that requires strong numbers. You have very good credentials that I think show your worthiness for school and I'm sure many schools would be lucky to have you.

Hi Chocolate Run! Thank you for your honesty and your comment in regards to my credentials is uplifting. :)

Hey guys!

So I took 2 weeks off from work (I know its not a lot for the OAT but given circumstances this is what I had to work with) and took the OAT. The two weeks I studied for Gen Chem and Physics mainly - I just skimmed through Chad's Videos and did 2 practice tests from Kaplan (I feel Kaplan is not representative of the test as I was scoring much higher on it). I didn't look at Biology or RC materials given time restraints. My score was way less than ideal though (esp with my GPA) and I have a feeling I will probably have to retake it in June (when I have more time to study).

Scores are as follows:
QR: 310
RC: 330
Biology: 310
Gen Chem: 320
O Chem: 300
Physics: 280
OAT TS: 300
OAT TA: 310

Any tips on improving? I feel these scores are super low and I know I could have totally scored higher esp with the 2 weeks I studied since I feel I didn't take the test with my "A Game", though more time to get the o. chem reactions solid would have been helpful. I don't think the material of the OAT is difficult at all, but the time restraints are definitely a factor. Probably improves with more practice.

As a first run through I felt I totally botched my math and physics terribly as I normally score 380/360 on the practice tests. I was getting frustrated cause I wasn't taking the test at the top of my game. I saw my time was running out and I just started guessing questions so I wouldn't have any empty questions.

So I guess this brings my stats to 2.74 (OptomCas just takes Canadian GPAs as is) with a 300TS, 310TA. If I applied early cycle for class of 2019 would this be decent enough to get my foot in the door? Or is the score of 280 in Physics an 'automatic' retake ?

Hello Everyone!

So I decided to apply for this cycle and got an interview with PCO coming up! I haven't heard from the other schools yet (MCPHS, NECO, NOVA, and Western). But so far - nothing negative. And for those who are wondering what my OptomCAS cGPA was after the calculations its 2.75 overall and 2.82 science.

Any tips on interviews?

Thanks everyone!

Hello Everyone!

So I decided to apply for this cycle and got an interview with PCO coming up! I haven't heard from the other schools yet (MCPHS, NECO, NOVA, and Western). But so far - nothing negative. And for those who are wondering what my OptomCAS cGPA was after the calculations its 2.75 overall and 2.82 science.

Any tips on interviews?

Thanks everyone!

Congrats! There's a book called 'The Medical School Interview" that I found helpful. It's a really short book, and the gist of it is to be prepared for the questions you'll be asked during the interview. I liked it, even though most of my interviews were very laid back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! There's a book called 'The Medical School Interview" that I found helpful. It's a really short book, and the gist of it is to be prepared for the questions you'll be asked during the interview. I liked it, even though most of my interviews were very laid back.
Hello EyeCaptain!

Thank you for the response! Can you clarify which 'The Medical School Interview" book you are talking about? I just checked on amazon.ca and there's a few. Can you give me the author the book you read?

Thanks!

I'm laughing at this April Fools text alteration way more than I should be.

Ahoy Everyone!

So me decided to apply for this cycle and got an interview wit PCO comin' up! me haven't heard from t' other schools yet (MCPHS, NECO, NOVA, and Western). But so far - nothin' negative. And for those who be wonderin' what me OptomCAS cGPA was after t' calculations its 2.75 overall and 2.82 science.

Any tips on interviews?

argh everyone!
Congratulations on the interview! And for choosing optometry! I do want to tell you that should do your research about the various schools and maybe consider why this is the only school you've heard back from when you have admittedly lower (not necessarily low) scores than some other applicants. I'm one of the people who hasn't been afraid to say that there is unfortunately a decent amount of disorganization in this program. They take some unconventional routes at PCO, and that's not always a good thing. Just please do your research and know what you're getting into. Don't go to a school just because it's the only one that takes you. Maybe wait another year so you don't miss deadlines? Good luck to you.

Congratulations on the interview! And for choosing optometry! I do want to tell you that should do your research about the various schools and maybe consider why this is the only school you've heard back from when you have admittedly lower (not necessarily low) scores than some other applicants. I'm one of the people who hasn't been afraid to say that there is unfortunately a decent amount of disorganization in this program. They take some unconventional routes at PCO, and that's not always a good thing. Just please do your research and know what you're getting into. Don't go to a school just because it's the only one that takes you. Maybe wait another year so you don't miss deadlines? Good luck to you.

Thank you Digitalized for your honesty! To be quite honest, I'm not familiar with PCO as I only thoroughly researched my top choices (still really crossing fingers for NECO!) but I do understand the fact that I have lower scores that I may not be getting into the program of my choice. I applied to PCO as it was one of the closer schools to my hometown. Are you from PCO? I have only been able to talk to students from NECO, Waterloo, Melbourne, and SUNY but haven't been able to get any first hand accounts for PCO. I figured I could go to the interview and learn a bit more about the school whilst getting interview experience. After doing my research and if I am given a seat after my interview I can make a proper choice whether PCO is right fit for me.

PS: I'm glad you quoted my response cause I wasn't sure what this April Fool's joke Rickenbacker325 was talking about until I saw your response :p

Last edited:
@contactspecs2020 when did you receive an interview invite to PCO? I sent my application in early December and I am still waiting to hear from them!! I know there application closed on the 31st, so i was also wondering if anyone knew when they stop interviewing?

@contactspecs2020 when did you receive an interview invite to PCO? I sent my application in early December and I am still waiting to hear from them!! I know there application closed on the 31st, so i was also wondering if anyone knew when they stop interviewing?

I received an interview invite via email on March 26, 2014. I e-submitted my applications to all universities via OptomCAS on March 14, 2014, GPA was verified on March 17, 2014, and forms were mailed out to the universities on March 20, 2014.

When I called to schedule my interview they said interviews are only currently being scheduled during the month of April (though I am not sure if the administrator was referencing the time frame that my interview invite was valid for or if April the last cycle of interviews for PCO). Hope that helps & good luck!

----

On another note, NECO emailed me saying that they have reviewed my application but have yet to come to a decision - not negative and not positive. Can anyone shed some light on this situation and what are my chances of achieving an interview from NECO?

Last edited:
For those who are reading previous posts on this forum - I got accepted to PCO :)

Reactions: 3 users
Hey! Congrats on your acceptance!

Just curious if you heard from any of the other schools?

Thanks!!! Yup! I got extended an interview from ICO :D! NECO put me on hold and is going to reevaluate my application in Janurary.

Another update for those who were wondering. Got accepted to ICO & interviewing at NECO next month :)!

Final update ! I was accepted to NECO, but surprisingly decided to go with ICO instead! I didn't love NECO as much as I thought I would !

Yay! So happy to hear that you got another option other than PCO! I hear really good things about ICO and highly wish that I had gone with them instead.

Yay! So happy to hear that you got another option other than PCO! I hear really good things about ICO and highly wish that I had gone with them instead.

Thanks for the input earlier in the thread. It helped me make my decision! Hopefully PCO is getting better and you're almost done soon - no need to regret as you're ending up with the same degree :)!