Do I have to remember every detail from Mcat books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlphaDxG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For example in this paragraph of the chemistry review from kaplan:
Do I have to remember stuff like "Some transition metals—copper, nickel, silver, gold, palladium, and platinum—are relatively nonreactive, a property that makes them ideal for the production of coins and jewelry." -- Is this stuff I have to memorize?

Hope you understand What I'm asking for.

================================
"
Metals are found on the left side and in the middle of the Periodic Table. They include the active metals, the transition metals, and the lanthanide and actinide series of elements. Metals are lustrous (shiny) solids, except for mercury, which is a liquid under standard conditions. They generally have high melting points and densities, but there are exceptions, such as lithium, which has a density about half that of water. Metals have the ability to be deformed without breaking; the ability of metal to be hammered into shapes is called malleability, and its ability to be pulled or drawn into wires is called ductility. At the atomic level, a metal is defined by a low effective nuclear charge, low electronegativity (high electropositivity), large atomic radius, small ionic radius, and low ionization energy. All of these characteristics are manifestations of the ability of metals to easily give up electrons.

Many of the transition metals (Group B elements) have two or more oxidation states (charges when forming bonds with other atoms). Because the valence electrons of all metals are only loosely held to their atoms, they are free to move, which makes metals good conductors of heat and electricity. The valence electrons of the active metals are found in the s subshell; those of the transition metals are found in the d subshell; and those of the lanthanide and actinide series elements are in the f subshell. Some transition metals—copper, nickel, silver, gold, palladium, and platinum—are relatively nonreactive, a property that makes them ideal for the production of coins and jewelry."

===================================

Members don't see this ad.

no :) Don't bother with the minutia. The prep books are a useful reference with high yield information mixed in. They are extremely superfluous in their entirety.

Reactions: 1 user
no :) Don't bother with the minutia. The prep books are a useful reference with high yield information mixed in. They are extremely superfluous in their entirety.
Great thanks man, can you like Highlight, just as a reference what I do not need to remember from this passage, just to get an overview.

I take my Mcat July 9th, but luckily I don't work.... don't have any priorities... except study and babysit.

Can anyone tell me as a good source of reference, what is all I Should memorize from that paragraph that I mentioned. There is a lot of side information.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should understand the basic principles and not focus on memorizing minutiae. For instance, you should know why these elements are unusually stable - it's basically only one concept that unifies this set of elements.