Do I need anything more?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PerseveranceJoe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear StudentDoctor community,

I am a second year Biomedical Engineering student, and am looking into attending medical school.
Right now my cGPA is 3.359 and my BCPM GPA is 3.380.I have been in research since my first year, and still going to be in research until my fourth year or fifth year (4-5 years of research). I am in a service fraternity and going to become Vice President for next year. I have also done around 61 hours of volunteering since first year.

I know I have to boost my GPA by a lot. It was 3.14 my first quarter but I know I can boost it. Is there any thing else that I am missing? I am interested in both MD and DO.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a second year Biomedical Engineering student, and am looking into attending medical school.
Right now my cGPA is 3.359 and my BCPM GPA is 3.380.I have been in research since my first year, and still going to be in research until my fourth year or fifth year (4-5 years of research). I am in a service fraternity and going to become Vice President for next year. I have also done around 61 hours of volunteering since first year.

I know I have to boost my GPA by a lot. It was 3.14 my first quarter but I know I can boost it. Is there any thing else that I am missing? I am interested in both MD and DO.

Thank you!

Physician shadowing and clinical experience...but otherwise you're looking pretty good!

Members don't see this ad :)
Like you said, get GPA up to ~3.6. Keep doing research, try to get published, or present a poster. GET CLINICAL EXPERIENCE, volunteer or otherwise. Shadow a few physicians before you graduate. Set aside 2-3 months to study for the MCAT, and score 30+. You have tons of time, you'll be fine. Good luck!

So far, so good.

Thank you!

Yah, it is getting harder and harder to pull my GPA up. Will it be a problem if by the end of the struggle, my cGPA is only around 3.6 or 3.5?

Yah, it is getting harder and harder to pull my GPA up. Will it be a problem if by the end of the struggle, my cGPA is only around 3.6 or 3.5?

Assuming your MCAT is on point, those are workable numbers for MD, and just fine for DO.