Do i need DO shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gamble

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I need a DO shadowing if I am applying to UMDNJ and PCOM?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
check with the schools you are applying to.
Normally you do not need to shadow a DO...but most of the schools require a DO LOR as well as knowing what being a DO is really like which you best find out while shadowing one.

i don't think it's vital to acceptance, but it would significantly help you to demonstrate that you know why you are applying to DO schools. If not shadowing, at least being in contact with a DO would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA 3.6, MCAT 24 and then 27, two summers spent working as a medical assistant in cardiology clinic and family doctor'f office, other volunteering experience at a hospital, a lot of research experience, taking a year off and working at a biotech company as a research assistant now, and tutoring.

I shadowed an MD, But not a DO and was accepted to umdnj. Although my physician is a DO, which I talked about during the interview. I think the point is to demonstrate that you have a genuine interest in the DO program, so if you feel like you can do that without shadowing, then it's fine.

GPA 3.6, MCAT 24 and then 27, two summers spent working as a medical assistant in cardiology clinic and family doctor'f office, other volunteering experience at a hospital, a lot of research experience, taking a year off and working at a biotech company as a research assistant now, and tutoring.

I had similar stats... 3.6 and 28 and had a letter from an MD only, not a DO. I applied particularly late though. I only got interviews at UNECOM, COMP and Touro-MI, while I also applied to NYCOM, PCOM, CCOM, MSUCOM. So, some schools may be more particular about DO letters. COMP seems to love high scores.

A friend of mine spent like half a day at a DO office shadowing to get his letter. It doesn't have to be a life long relationship.

One thing i've learned tho is that this is not a process to take lightly, try to get a DO letter no matter how good you think you are. you can always be more competitive. Its better to do this process once, then to have false confidence in yourself and get rejected or sit on a waitlist and bite your nails all summer (believe me, it sucks).