Do I need more research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Llorensrh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-traditional student (pre-med), recently transferred from Junior College to UCLA to finish up my last two years. I have previously worked for a University in another state as staff on a health and nutrition research project that required IRB approval. I spent two years in hospitals, WIC clinics and patient homes. I also put together reports and statistics. This was done through funding from the food stamp program TANF.
I also spent 6 weeks two years ago volunteering at a stem-cell research lab at USC.

So I have been around research a lot, but I haven't done my own. I'll be an MIMG major, and will be required to do some research classes. But should I be looking for something more? Or is this reasonable already for a pre-med?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a non-traditional student (pre-med), recently transferred from Junior College to UCLA to finish up my last two years. I have previously worked for a University in another state as staff on a health and nutrition research project that required IRB approval. I spent two years in hospitals, WIC clinics and patient homes. I also put together reports and statistics. This was done through funding from the food stamp program TANF.
I also spent 6 weeks two years ago volunteering at a stem-cell research lab at USC.

So I have been around research a lot, but I haven't done my own. I'll be an MIMG major, and will be required to do some research classes. But should I be looking for something more? Or is this reasonable already for a pre-med?

Thanks!
No, you're fine. Publications would be the only additional metric you could add to your resume at this point. If research you'd participate in would not result in pubs, don't do it.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends where you want to apply in the future. I think a lot of top medical schools have some research emphasis and would like to have students at least somewhat familiar with basic bench work and the scientific process in a wet lab. I would recommend that you do participate in research with a PI at UCLA. Find a place that is willing to train you in the critical thinking, responsibilities, and the techniques required in bench work.