Do I need SAT?

who109

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new here so excuse me if I posted this in the wrong section.

So I'm not an american citizen and I want to take medical school in America. I looked up for requirements and it's said I need MCAT, but is that it? No need for SATs? please help

Members don't see this ad.

SATs are for acceptance into college to earn your bachelors and MCATs are for acceptance into Medical School to earn the MD.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone. I'm new here so excuse me if I posted this in the wrong section.

So I'm not an american citizen and I want to take medical school in America. I looked up for requirements and it's said I need MCAT, but is that it? No need for SATs? please help

SAT [Scholastic Aptitude Test] or the alternative ACT tests are for secondary school (high school) students who are seeking undergraduate admission to a college. Generally speaking, admission to an American medical school will require the MCAT [Medical College Admission Test], letters of recommendation, an application, essay or personal statement authroried by you and a four year college degree. Coursework must include Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Physics (8 semester hours each subject to include lab). Individual schools may have their own additional requirements but these are the basics.

Members don't see this ad :)
SAT and high school get you into college.
College and MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test) get you into medical school.
Medical School + USMLE (United States Medical Licensing Exam) get you into residency.
Successful completion of residency allows you to practice as a fully licensed physician.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
SATs are required to get into college and the MCAT is required to get into medical school.

Bear in mind that entry to US medical school requires at least 90 college units taken at a US school even for international candidates. Thus depending on where the OP is planning on completing that requirement, he may indeed need to take the SAT.