Do I need to change my study strategy for step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

han14tra

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm a second year, and I'm wondering if I will need to change my study technique for step 1.

Here's what I've been doing for classes:

- I read the syllabus and type up notes from it into a powerpoint presentation (which act as flash cards). I add in details from class that weren't discussed in the syllabus and I reorganize the information so it makes sense to me. I find that it makes me actively process the information by re-writing, but I feel like I'm re-writing the whole syllabus because every little detail is important. About a week before the test, I start reviewing my "flashcards" over and over. I delete the slides as I memorize them.

- So far, I honored in Anatomy/Embryology, Physio/Histo, Neuro, ICM, and Intro to Path/Pharm. I did not honor in Biochem or Immunology/Micro (unless I rock our last exam).

For step I, I plan to use the same strategy. I'll take notes out of all the review books. I'll integrate first aid notes with information from the subject specific books. It will all be in a powerpoint presentation. I'll start deleting slides as I memorize them.

Good or bad? My MCAT score was a 25 (i didn't do any practice questions and barely studied), so I really need some advice. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Im not sure you will have the time to take notes on all the review books. The books are generally condensed enough where that is the material you need to know. So, I think, it is almost pointless to take notes on that material. Itd be better, imo, to go over the material several times and do a whole crap ton of qbank questions.

agree w/ above, this is far to inefficient to use during dedicated study time. The good news is, however, that if you've studied correctly prior to that time, you won't need to. Ideally, you'll have already learned everything and you'll just need to refresh your memory and practice nbme style questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a waste of time, in my opinion. You need to know everything - everything - in First Aid, so distilling it is basically impossible. Putting it in a powerpoint is just a bunch of extra work for nothing. If you really want to make notes or whatever, go through everything you're going to study once. For most people, that at least means a pass through Goljan, FA, and UW. After that, make notes of topics you saw frequently but are weak on. Study those things more. Rinse, and repeat with practice tests throughout to gauge your progress (and learn more stuff, in the case of UW).

completely agree with the above. That is a complete and utter waste of time. Just read Rapid Review Path and First Aid as many times as you possibly can, especially Rapid Review, and listen to the Goljan audio as many times as you can. Start reading other stuff second half of the year too. Don't focus on classes too much. If you read Rapid Review path along with your path course you will honor it if it is anything like mine. Pharm, study First Aid along with your class. Basically follow along everything you are learning with FA and RR Path and use those as your main focus and then read the syllabus a couple times before the test.

:DThanks everyone!

I think I'm going to take your advice. I also think I'm going to try this new study strategy for our next course and see how it goes. I really don't want to wait until Step I prep to try to learn a new method of study.

How does this new study technique work? Do you just read and re-read over and over until you finally have it memorized? Does anyone make tables, flashcards, etc for step I, or is that a waste of time too?

:DThanks everyone!

I think I'm going to take your advice. I also think I'm going to try this new study strategy for our next course and see how it goes. I really don't want to wait until Step I prep to try to learn a new method of study.

How does this new study technique work? Do you just read and re-read over and over until you finally have it memorized? Does anyone make tables, flashcards, etc for step I, or is that a waste of time too?

I don't know about you, but I personally can't sit there and read something (like FA or Goljan) over and over and over and over....

What I'm doing now (M2) is using USMLERx and doing questions on topics we've covered last year or topics for current system. It accomplishes two things: 1) forces me to integrate different concepts and think instead of memorizing and 2) go through FA!

You might want to look into getting a qbank soon too.

yeah it goes without saying that you should also do a question bank or multiple question banks at some point. I used usmlerx during the year and liked it and then UWorld, which is considered pretty much the gold standard test bank during actual step 1 study time

only thing that works for me is doing questions - it helps me focus

do what works for you , but you need to do some questions at least to get used to the format