Do I need to shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LabDoc33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I couldn't find the answer to my question searching, so I figured I would ask all you lovely people.

Do I need to shadow a physician even though I scribe for them in the ED?

I work with 2 DO's who I know will write me solid LOR's as well as some MD's. I'm not applying this cycle, so don't worry about that.

Members don't see this ad.

Scribing should be enough to give you an understanding of what a physician does.

If you decide to pursue more shadowing: I think you should shadow a primary care doc and if possible someone who does procedures (gastroenterology or interventional cardio) and/or a physician in surgery.

It'll just give you a wider perspective of the different lifestyles each doc has in ambulatory vs. non-ambulatory care.

Last edited:
Then no. As long as you know what DO is all about.
Scribing is technically better than shadowing anyways.

But, I did both...

Members don't see this ad :)
The purpose of shadowing is to gain an understanding of the day-to-day activities/schedule of a physician. Since you have scribed, I think you have seen the docs in action enough to have this understanding. Therefore, I would say shadowing is not necessary for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Plus scribing gives an evaluation tool that physicians can use to describe your work ethic in the letter. This puts your letter one step above the normal shadowing letter.

I figured this was the answer, but i just wanted some confirmation.

Thanks all.