Do I need to shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NyMets85

Pre-med/Pre-pod
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am new here,
I am trying to find a pod to shadow, so far I have asked one and his secretary said "he doesnt do that anymore." I have shadowed numerous orthopods and ED physicians, yet not pods. Am i screwed? Also, I have 5 great recommendations (for med school apps) yet no pod rec. Am I doubly screwed?

Stats: 28R 3.5 @ a top ten school.

Members don't see this ad.

From my understanding and experiences, you're not screwed. It all depends where you are applying. If you call the schools and tell them your letters say "medical school" and not podiatry, the few schools I contacted about the situation did not mind. You can always see if the professor can just substitute the word in for you. About shadowing, its always best to see the profession you're interested in. Try the AACPM Contact and Mentor program and see if there is someone around you. Call local hospitals either where you are in school or by your home. I'm sure someone will be happy to help you out. Here's the link... http://www.aacpm.org/contactpod/default.asp

I think you'd be ok with the letters you have, but maybe a better question is why want to spend 7 or more years in podiatry training yet you don't want to take a week and shadow a DPM? It's too bad that the first guy you called doesn't take students, but it's his office and his call. There are many others who would be glad to have students. Try the mentor network...

http://www.aacpm.org/contactpod/default.asp

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not that I do not want to shadow. That couldnt be further from the truth. It is that I need to do the shadowing before the interview process which is not that far away. I just didnt know where to find a good pod to shadow beyond the one that was recommended to me.

man, to be honest with you....i did not know about the mentor network. I randomly called DPM's out of the phone book and asked to talk to them about shadowing. I called 5 people. 2 called back and I shadowed both. Was a great experience for me and they were very excited to have me. Sounds stupid, but just open the phone book :thumbup:

man, to be honest with you....i did not know about the mentor network. I randomly called DPM's out of the phone book and asked to talk to them about shadowing. I called 5 people. 2 called back and I shadowed both. Was a great experience for me and they were very excited to have me. Sounds stupid, but just open the phone book :thumbup:

i don't think that's stupid...that's exactly what I did too! usually they're nice enough to call you back and talk to you if nothing else...

After getting similar advice from this forum, I used the mentor network and emailed 2 podiatrists. Both got back to me within 24 hours saying that they would be pleased to meet me, answer questions, and allow me to shadow. After shadowing I was glad I did this. The work the DPM did was different from what I expected and different from the other MDs I had shadowed. I am confident, now, that this is the right specialty for me. Oh and I check on my letters of rec. because mine say "medical" school as well, Temple said they get it all the time and it's not a problem.