Do I need to take Step 2 CS and have the results before rank list is due?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dermie1207

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

A couple of my friends going into different specialties have mentioned that some programs require proof that you have passed Step 2 CS prior to rank lists being due.

Does anyone know if there are many derm programs that require this as well? The only one I have read about is UCSF.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all!

A couple of my friends going into different specialties have mentioned that some programs require proof that you have passed Step 2 CS prior to rank lists being due.

Does anyone know if there are many derm programs that require this as well? The only one I have read about is UCSF.

I'm not quite sure of the answer but I'd recommend taking CS as soon after 3rd year as possible. There's no benefit to delaying this simple exam.

Hi all!

Don't worry about it too much. Nobody asked about this on the interview trail, and I didn't see it having any involvement in the decision making process at all.

I took my Step 2 CS after the rank order lists were due, so I didn't even have my grades until well after I matched.

It's easy to take, but its like pulling teeth to schedule. So if you can't get it until after you submit your rank order list, it's not the end of the world.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks FixItUp!!

I really don't think I'll be able to squeeze it in any time soon, so that's a huge relief.

Thanks again! :)

I have a related question: do programs ask about step 2 CK? My school makes us take it before the spring semester and I already put it on eras that I was taking it in November. However, I'm nervous that my score will decrease from my step 1...

I have a related question: do programs ask about step 2 CK? My school makes us take it before the spring semester and I already put it on eras that I was taking it in November. However, I'm nervous that my score will decrease from my step 1...

I had similar concerns. Someone posed the same question on a previous thread. Can't seem to find it but most said they were rarely asked about their step 2 score, if at all.

I decided to take the test because I didn't want to have to think about it during interview season. So glad I did. I took 4 weeks, but it could probably be done in two. Very straight forward.

Last year when I interviewed, a few programs did ask about Step 2 CK. I had recently taken it but didn't have scores back yet, so I told them that and that I would forward along my scores when they came. Then, when I got my scores back, I of course did that. Fortunately, I was happy with my Step 2 score and actually ended up sending it to all of my programs along with a publication update.

I'm not sure how much programs care about Step 2 since a lot of people don't have scores prior to interviews, but I do know that at a couple of my interviews that I had after I transmitted my Step 2 scores, I either received comments on my score or saw my Step 2 score (along with my Step 1 score) circled in red on my application.

My main feeling was that Step 2 can help you if it's awesome (especially if your Step 1 was under par for derm) and hurt you if it's really bad. If it's decent or not there, then it's not a big deal.

How long does it usually take to get the step 2 cs results back?

i searched for this answer but didn't find it.

I was under the impression I was supposed to release my CS results (Pass or fail) to derm programs and TY's and prelims before ROL so they know they've fulfilled their requirement that all interns have passed Step 1 and 2. That said, I haven't taken Step2ck in time for ERAS 9/15 but will take it in the next 2 months. Releasing CS will also release CK, so wouldn't that mean that all derm programs would see my CK before ROL (and i'll never know if they actually took it into consideration)?