Do I really need to know the Strecker and Gabriel methods for amino acid synth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kaplan includes the steps for amino acid synthesis in its organic chemistry books but I really think that this information is way out of the scope of the MCAT.

Do I really need to know this?

Members don't see this ad.

It's on a KhanAcademy video.

Probably too much. If you know how electrons move then you should be fine. I doubt you'll have to differentiate between the two.

Its on the AAMC list, but wasn't on my MCAT.

Most of my MCAT C/P was gen chem/physics, with very basic orgo and little biochem.

^But that doesn't mean that it will not be on the version that you may have. So if you want that high score, you better know it (go for concepts and not details).

Members don't see this ad :)
^But that doesn't mean that it will not be on the version that you may have. So if you want that high score, you better know it (go for concepts and not details).

That's true, and it's been confirmed that there are multiple versions on the same test day with completely different passages.

Very low-yield. Don't worry about it. Go through the synthesis and make sure that you understand the mechanism but it's not necessary to memorize it. You would most likely only encounter it in the context of a passage where you're given the crucial intermediates in the mechanism.

Reactions: 1 user
Understand the general idea and be able to recognize it on an exam. Most likely you are not going to have to know the mechanism verbatim for the actual exam.

No but you should be able to identify amino acid residues in convoluted mechanisms involving peptides or enzyme active sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk