Do I stand a chance at getting into any of my top choice schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PittPreVet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I'm a junior biology major who got a D in calc 1 their first semester, along with a W on my transcript- long story short, I had a bad first semester, but I have mostly As in all of my prereqs for vet school, and my grades have been pretty solid since then. I also retook Calc 1 and got a B in it, I have As in bio 1, 2, chem 1&2, and orgo1 and nothing less than Bs in my other prereqs. When I calculate my GPA on an automated GPA calculator, I currently only have a 3.4 and the most I can graduate with is a 3.7 if I make straight As from now until graduation. According to my school, I have a 3.6 instead of a 3.4 because I transferred and my GPA got a fresh start. I know that a 3.5+ is competitive for veterinary school, and that's my goal.

I haven't taken the GRE yet nor have I started prepping, but that is on my list of things to do next spring/summer.

I have about or close to over 500 hours of experience with veterinary things so far such as:

-Almost 100 hours volunteering at a shelter
-I've been shadowing at a private primary care practice
-I worked at a large specialty/emergency hospital in Pittsburgh, PA where I accumulated over 350 hours in one summer.

I'm looking to do at least one or two research projects where I collaborate with faculty at my school and veterinarians, and pursue more clinical hours. Hopefully 1,000 hours by the time I apply.

And I know this is a rumor I've been hearing, but I am a guy, so I've heard it might be easier for me to get in?

My top schools are obviously the best ones: UC Davis, Penn, Cornell, Ohio State, and my other choices that aren't at the top are Western U in LA, and Oregon State. I really can't even consider the Caribbean as an option because scholarships I'm applying for won't cover the Caribbean.

Sooooo, other pre-vets and veterinarians!, Do I stand a chance at getting into any of the schools I listed, especially prestigious ones? I know I sound like a basket case, but I've dreamed about becoming a veterinarian my entire life, and I'm not a perfect student but I'm determined. Please help! I appreciate SDN's Prevet forums.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say you have a good shot, depending on other stuff like LORs and personal statement and such. Those GPAs are fine, especially with an upward trend. :)

And I agree with DVMD, don't pay too much attention to rankings. Focus on what school you want to go to because you think it's a good fit (whatever that means for you - tuition, location, class size, teaching style, opportunities for LA vs SA vs specialty stuff...).

Members don't see this ad :)
Even that sticky thread is relatively useless. The unfortunate truth is that nobody here knows the chances of you getting in. Just try your best to maintain a high GPA, get a bunch of experience hours, and do things that will make you stand out from the thousands of applicants you're competing against. Instead of wasting your time by asking what your hypothetical chances are of getting in, look at previous years and see what successful applicants have both academically and non-academically and ask yourself what is missing from your future application (do you need more experience hours in x, y, or z, etc.).

Reactions: 1 user
Even that sticky thread is relatively useless. The unfortunate truth is that nobody here knows the chances of you getting in. Just try your best to maintain a high GPA, get a bunch of experience hours, and do things that will make you stand out from the thousands of applicants you're competing against. Instead of wasting your time by asking what your hypothetical chances are of getting in, look at previous years and see what successful applicants have both academically and non-academically and ask yourself what is missing from your future application (do you need more experience hours in x, y, or z, etc.).

Yup, that sticky thread is just a bunch of previous applicants who have been accepted before. Doesn't mean the adcoms will see an application the same way and we can't determine anything based off the minimum info given here. We can't see personal statement or letters of recommendation.

However, that sticky thread can be quite helpful in giving pointers or tips from people who have been around SDN for years and have seen many years of successful applicant threads and what people who have been accepted or have not been accepted have as far as GPA's, GRE scores, experience hours, etc.

So while it might not be accurate, it can sure give some good advice and insight that you might not be able to find elsewhere. Basically, it won't hurt and might help.

Ugh I didn't notice the sticky thread at first, idk how it even happened when I was posting, sorry guys I didn't mean to look redundant there.

Thanks everybody- so far I appreciate all of the advice!!!

Ugh I didn't notice the sticky thread at first, idk how it even happened when I was posting, sorry guys I didn't mean to look redundant there.

Thanks everybody- so far I appreciate all of the advice!!!
Almost forgot to say.... :hello: Welcome to SDN!

Hey everybody,

I'm a junior biology major who got a D in calc 1 their first semester, along with a W on my transcript- long story short, I had a bad first semester, but I have mostly As in all of my prereqs for vet school, and my grades have been pretty solid since then. I also retook Calc 1 and got a B in it, I have As in bio 1, 2, chem 1&2, and orgo1 and nothing less than Bs in my other prereqs. When I calculate my GPA on an automated GPA calculator, I currently only have a 3.4 and the most I can graduate with is a 3.7 if I make straight As from now until graduation. According to my school, I have a 3.6 instead of a 3.4 because I transferred and my GPA got a fresh start. I know that a 3.5+ is competitive for veterinary school, and that's my goal.

I haven't taken the GRE yet nor have I started prepping, but that is on my list of things to do next spring/summer.

I have about or close to over 500 hours of experience with veterinary things so far such as:

-Almost 100 hours volunteering at a shelter
-I've been shadowing at a private primary care practice
-I worked at a large specialty/emergency hospital in Pittsburgh, PA where I accumulated over 350 hours in one summer.

I'm looking to do at least one or two research projects where I collaborate with faculty at my school and veterinarians, and pursue more clinical hours. Hopefully 1,000 hours by the time I apply.

And I know this is a rumor I've been hearing, but I am a guy, so I've heard it might be easier for me to get in?

My top schools are obviously the best ones: UC Davis, Penn, Cornell, Ohio State, and my other choices that aren't at the top are Western U in LA, and Oregon State. I really can't even consider the Caribbean as an option because scholarships I'm applying for won't cover the Caribbean.

Sooooo, other pre-vets and veterinarians!, Do I stand a chance at getting into any of the schools I listed, especially prestigious ones? I know I sound like a basket case, but I've dreamed about becoming a veterinarian my entire life, and I'm not a perfect student but I'm determined. Please help! I appreciate SDN's Prevet forums.
If it makes you feel any better I got a D+ in calc I and a C in calc II and my cumGPA was a 3.4 and I just got accepted at Middwestern and have an interview at Michigan in February. I had 800 hours a veterinary experience and about 4,000 hours of animal experience. It's about applying to schools that have requirements that play up your strengths. I know my cum is on the weak side but my last 45 is a 3.9 so I applied to Michigan because they look at your last 45 not your cum. I also (for obvious reasons) didn't apply to any schools with calc as a prereq. You'll be fine. Just do well your last few semesters, get lots of experience and be smart when you apply! :)

Just adding to what others have said, rankings are crap and don't mean anything. You definitely shouldn't base your top choices by ranking, plus the so-called "rankings" differ greatly based on who's doing the ranking.

Look at location, tuition costs, the application process and how your stats compare to those of previous successful applicants, the program of each school and what they're known for, etc and so on.

It's not useless. Many of the people responding have successfully navigated the application process. Which, aside from someone who actually is on the inside of the process, is probably one of the best groups of people to get information from. Certainly better than the half-hearted effort from some pre-med adviser who has been tasked by their school to "oh yeah, why don't you just handle the pre-vet students we forgot about, too."

Obviously none of us posting there can say "you will get in" and "you won't get in," but none of us have pretended that we can. We *do* have some ideas about what makes for a good applicants, what schools generally look for, and can give pretty good feedback. So it's far from useless.

I know how everyone feels about the rankings .... and I agree they are crap in the context of comparing a specific graduate from low-ranked school X versus high-ranked school Y .... but I also think it's foolish to deny that there is 'prestige' associated with schools. In a very broad, general sense many people DO look at some schools more favorably than others. People from UCD or Cornell (for example) ARE looked at as coming from 'better' schools than mine, and on down the line. I think it's a knee-jerk defensive reaction to say that prestige doesn't exist just because the rankings are, indeed, crap.

I don't think that prestige is worth paying more to attend there if someone has cheaper options, though.... I think the factors other people suggested are more important things to consider.

@PittPreVet .... get more experience. You said you'd have around 1000 ... I'd try and make sure you do. Try and get some variety. The research stuff is good, but all your vet experience looks like it's generally in the small animal category? Branch out.

As far as being a guy ... I don't think it helps. At least the year I applied, the ratio of guys that applied that got accepted was essentially equal to the ratio of women that applied that got accepted. Obviously, that's just one year at one school, but.... They certainly want male applicants, but they aren't going to accept a lesser-qualified male over a better-qualified female.

Reactions: 1 users
Seconding what everyone else has said, but if you end up having any Penn specific questions, PM me and I'll see if I can answer them. I do not have amazing insight into their admissions process, but can answer some curriculum questions and whatnot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seconding what everyone else has said, but if you end up having any Penn specific questions, PM me and I'll see if I can answer them. I do not have amazing insight into their admissions process, but can answer some curriculum questions and whatnot.
I'm very interested in Penn specifically because I'm a PA resident, lol. I just heard they're picky about everything. I need to start talking to some vets and prepare to apply.

It's not useless. Many of the people responding have successfully navigated the application process. Which, aside from someone who actually is on the inside of the process, is probably one of the best groups of people to get information from. Certainly better than the half-hearted effort from some pre-med adviser who has been tasked by their school to "oh yeah, why don't you just handle the pre-vet students we forgot about, too."

Obviously none of us posting there can say "you will get in" and "you won't get in," but none of us have pretended that we can. We *do* have some ideas about what makes for a good applicants, what schools generally look for, and can give pretty good feedback. So it's far from useless.

I know how everyone feels about the rankings .... and I agree they are crap in the context of comparing a specific graduate from low-ranked school X versus high-ranked school Y .... but I also think it's foolish to deny that there is 'prestige' associated with schools. In a very broad, general sense many people DO look at some schools more favorably than others. People from UCD or Cornell (for example) ARE looked at as coming from 'better' schools than mine, and on down the line. I think it's a knee-jerk defensive reaction to say that prestige doesn't exist just because the rankings are, indeed, crap.

I don't think that prestige is worth paying more to attend there if someone has cheaper options, though.... I think the factors other people suggested are more important things to consider.

@PittPreVet .... get more experience. You said you'd have around 1000 ... I'd try and make sure you do. Try and get some variety. The research stuff is good, but all your vet experience looks like it's generally in the small animal category? Branch out.

As far as being a guy ... I don't think it helps. At least the year I applied, the ratio of guys that applied that got accepted was essentially equal to the ratio of women that applied that got accepted. Obviously, that's just one year at one school, but.... They certainly want male applicants, but they aren't going to accept a lesser-qualified male over a better-qualified female.

Hey, the being male thing was a rumor like I said, and I'd like to think I already meet most of the school's minimum animal hours/experience along with a pretty solid academic foundation. I'm trying to branch out, but I've heard it's good to work at the same place for a long time? I think it's different for veterinary because you need multiple experiences.

Hey, the being male thing was a rumor like I said, and I'd like to think I already meet most of the school's minimum animal hours/experience along with a pretty solid academic foundation. I'm trying to branch out, but I've heard it's good to work at the same place for a long time? I think it's different for veterinary because you need multiple experiences.

Honestly, a 3.4 GPA is not solid.. sorry, it is low average... if you can get up to a 3.6-3.7 that is more along the average lines, to maybe slightly above.

Also, we would need to know your last 45 credit hour GPA and your science GPA as those play BIG parts.

Variety of experience is key for many vet schools, even those that do put emphasis on seeing more hours in your preferred "interest" they also like to see that you have explored other areas.

Let's put it this way... your vet experience hours currently are not near what many people have and are not varied much... look into getting a variety and more hours. That is just being honest.

My biggest mistake when applying was that my experience hours weren't varied and I had an "average" GPA like you do. I had plenty of hours with small animals... but not much with horses and farm animals...

Also, if you can get your GPA up, do it! A 3.4 is low average at best, if you really can get up to a 3.5-3.6 that is better, but still average. Rock the GRE exam and gain more hours!

Oh, like where? :D
Definitely look into the National Aviary's internship program. They have an internship in their hospital that would be great for getting more hours, and it will add to your diversity because it's avian medicine. Most of your actual duties will be husbandry related, but you are supervised by the vets and techs, and I learned a lot when I was working there. It really depends on what is going on while you're there, but I got to observe and assist with two surgeries and helped out with some emergencies, too. Eventually they let you help out with minor treatments. I did two semesters, and it was one of my favorite experiences. Most people do two 9 hours shifts per week, and you can get a really good eLOR out of it too.

I would also recommend the Animal Rescue League if you want to get some shelter experience. The vets there are great :love: I started as a regular volunteer and then got in contact with the vets. After I shadowed for a little while they let me start helping with surgery prep and monitoring.

If you want some wildlife experience, you can volunteer or intern at the ARL Wildlife Center. It's in Verona, but if you have a car it's not a bad drive. I didn't end up doing much there because it's a really long bus ride. But it's a great place and if you're in Pittsburgh over the summer that's their busy season. Lots of baby wildlife to help out with! Volunteers typically do 4 hours a week, for the interns I believe it is 15 but you get to see more medical stuff.

Honestly, a 3.4 GPA is not solid.. sorry, it is low average... if you can get up to a 3.6-3.7 that is more along the average lines, to maybe slightly above.

Also, we would need to know your last 45 credit hour GPA and your science GPA as those play BIG parts.

Variety of experience is key for many vet schools, even those that do put emphasis on seeing more hours in your preferred "interest" they also like to see that you have explored other areas.

Let's put it this way... your vet experience hours currently are not near what many people have and are not varied much... look into getting a variety and more hours. That is just being honest.

My biggest mistake when applying was that my experience hours weren't varied and I had an "average" GPA like you do. I had plenty of hours with small animals... but not much with horses and farm animals...

Also, if you can get your GPA up, do it! A 3.4 is low average at best, if you really can get up to a 3.5-3.6 that is better, but still average. Rock the GRE exam and gain more hours!

Hopefully my GPA will be over a 3.5 after spring semester! I plan on diversifying my experiences, my 400 hours already being with small animals. I'm looking into zoological internships and large animal internships. Annnddd I haven't taken the GRE yet so there's that.

Last edited:
I agree to pick programs that play to your strength! My GPA was a 3.4 when I applied, but I had 90th percentile GRE scores. I also came from a top school known for it's soul sucking science programs (only a few vet schools might care about the name of your undergrad, but some do). And I had a heavy research background (5 years between undergrad and some full time research work). All this added up to Cornell overlooking my poor GPA and letting me in. Cornell weights your GRE score higher than other schools in their admissions formula, and they're very focused on research. Honestly I applied on a lark just to get some feedback (figuring I would need to take some courses to raise my GPA) and was pleasantly surprised to find that I wouldn't have to go through it again. You never know what the admissions committee will think.

I agree to pick programs that play to your strength! My GPA was a 3.4 when I applied, but I had 90th percentile GRE scores. I also came from a top school known for it's soul sucking science programs (only a few vet schools might care about the name of your undergrad, but some do). And I had a heavy research background (5 years between undergrad and some full time research work). All this added up to Cornell overlooking my poor GPA and letting me in. Cornell weights your GRE score higher than other schools in their admissions formula, and they're very focused on research. Honestly I applied on a lark just to get some feedback (figuring I would need to take some courses to raise my GPA) and was pleasantly surprised to find that I wouldn't have to go through it again. You never know what the admissions committee will think.
Where'd you go for undergrad ? And what kind of research? I am going to be doing a required capstone, does that look good to schools? Even though it's required, depending on what the research involves? And I'm just hoping that my animal experiences help my application. I've still to take the GRE. I feel good about the quant section, the verbal and analytical, not so much.. Just not my strength.

:( Phrases like this just make me sad about the current state of academia. No science program should ever be described as "soul sucking". But that's what a lot of places, especially the top schools fighting tooth and nail like bratty kids in the schoolyard for grant money, have become. Production > education.

To quote my first mentor (an amazing, uppity female polymer chemist who took zero crap from anyone) "A brutal environment...drains the joy out of doing science. This country should want joyous scientists"

Last edited:
Uh huh. This coming from the pathologist that gleefully talks about torturing poor vet students on rotation.

fc456d9046e5d0e3bb84e52cb225eae7_view.jpg