Do I stand a chance??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrhodes870

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, brief overview. I decided I wanted to go into Pre-Dentistry about a year ago. I'm currently attending my 3rd year at a Community College about an hour away from where i grew up. My first two years I was a IT/Computer Programming major. I got a job at a Multi National Corporation in a near by city working for their IT department, I made 12.50 an hour to sit and troubleshoot pc's all day.

I'm thankful to have had that job, It showed me I didnt want to go into IT. My aunt and uncle in Texas are both Dentists. So I mad a big decision and decided to switch my major to Pre-Dental. Now for the bad part, my entire first 2 years of community college I pissed and farted around. I had a good job and i didnt really worry about school to much. I did terrible i dropped my GPA down to a 2.1 :mad:

Now my Community College has very good ties to U of I. The pre-dental program I'm in now transfers to U of I (Chicago) Dental School. Now my question is, after this last semester, making two C's and a B (I've never done good in school, I've never had the gumption, but i want to change that) My GPA is at like idk a 2.3 or something.

I just want to know do I stand a chance at ever being able to get into Dental School? I just read in an article that its nearly impossible to get into dental school if you've attended a Community College for more then 2 years. I also take a part time load because it allows me to have "income based rent" at my apartment, well that sucks cuz i also read that its almost impossible to get into dental school if you dont usually take a full time load.

I just want to know if I stand a chance at all, oh and btw here is a link to the site of my community college

http://www.lakeland.cc.il.us/models/transfer/270.htm

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, brief overview. I decided I wanted to go into Pre-Dentistry about a year ago. I'm currently attending my 3rd year at a Community College about an hour away from where i grew up. My first two years I was a IT/Computer Programming major. I got a job at a Multi National Corporation in a near by city working for their IT department, I made 12.50 an hour to sit and troubleshoot pc's all day.

I'm thankful to have had that job, It showed me I didnt want to go into IT. My aunt and uncle in Texas are both Dentists. So I mad a big decision and decided to switch my major to Pre-Dental. Now for the bad part, my entire first 2 years of community college I pissed and farted around. I had a good job and i didnt really worry about school to much. I did terrible i dropped my GPA down to a 2.1 :mad:

Now my Community College has very good ties to U of I. The pre-dental program I'm in now transfers to U of I (Chicago) Dental School. Now my question is, after this last semester, making two C's and a B (I've never done good in school, I've never had the gumption, but i want to change that) My GPA is at like idk a 2.3 or something.

I just want to know do I stand a chance at ever being able to get into Dental School? I just read in an article that its nearly impossible to get into dental school if you've attended a Community College for more then 2 years. I also take a part time load because it allows me to have "income based rent" at my apartment, well that sucks cuz i also read that its almost impossible to get into dental school if you dont usually take a full time load.

I just want to know if I stand a chance at all, oh and btw here is a link to the site of my community college

http://www.lakeland.cc.il.us/models/transfer/270.htm

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There are applicants who make a change in their careers and then go into dentistry. Are you sure this CC has great ties with UIC? Are the credits transferable? If you plan on applying to other schools...you have to take classes at an accredited institution. You might have to take out a loan because for most applicants, they are in school full time. Also, your grades are really bad...you need to be getting at least 3.5 sci and overall gpa from now on to show adcoms that you mean business. Also, to up your resume, get some shadowing experience (100 hrs) whenever your free. My biggest advice for you is to not apply this next cycle, but maybe in the 2011 cycle because it doesn't seem like your taking enough BCP (biology, chem, physics) courses yet. (These kinds of classes help adcoms determine how well you will do in d-school. In addition, how is having an aunt and uncle being a dentist make you want to be a dentist? If your not a motivated student, what makes you think that adcoms will consider you? I am not trying to be harsh, but real with you because if you get an interview somewhere (and I hope you do), they will ask you these questions and they decide by these factors: GPA, DAT scores, ECs, Leadership roles, dental experience. Please feel free to PM me if you need more help. Good luck!

Hey thanks for the reply. As where I'm at currently, I have no intentions of applying for dental school for a while, 2011 would seem about right if not later. And yes I've been considering taking out a loan, Idk how my parents would feel about that, my father never even graduated highschool, he is a farmer and has made a very decent living, but he's somewhat against school

And in the link i posted above, if you read the info above the courses, it says it transfers directly to U of I chicago. I will indeed talk more to my advisor about this, but I'm just worried I've already messed up to much. And I did make a personal choice to go into pre-dental because of many of the same reasons as alot of other people, the steady pay, the appreciation and respect for a dentist, and also I know i like to help people what better way to help someone then by making them feel more confident about themselves and their looks.

First thing i know is that i need to work on my study habits, I havent ever really applied myself to school, and I know i have to in order to become anything in the medical field. Again thanks for the reply, I'm guessing what i need to focus on is getting my gpa up as much as possible. Just hope I havent already blown my chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 2.3 at a community college??? In order to get into dental school you need to really want this because you better make some real serious changes. So many highly motivated people want this goal. You need to become one of them and change everything about your priorities if you want to have a chance. You may not get in until 5 years from now, but you could do it. Is it worth it to you? First of all I really hope you aren't thinking you can stick with the community college. If you can afford it, you need to get out of there because that won't give you any respect with an admissions committee that is reviewing kids from UCLA or Duke. Can you get in to UIC or another respectable 4-year university? Then pull that awful 2 .3 GPA up above a 3.0, then ace a post-bach program, and assist at a GP part time, and maybe you can finagle your way in somewhere. The good news is that the DAT can make up for alot so you better ace that sucker considering that right now you have a 2.3 from a CC.

CC credits = not so good
2.0 GPA = not so good
retake them in 4 yr institution and get 3.5 GPA = very good.

At a CC, a 2.1 GPA might turn some heads...:scared:.

You need to attend a 4 year college and do extremely well with no excuses. Your DAT scores need to be amazing (22's). You need to have some sort of experiance that will set you apart from others. A lot of ironing need to be done, but if you desire, you can achieve!

to be honest, i dont think you have much of a shot...im not telling u to give up on this dream...but if ur gpa is really that low, its almost impossible to get in even if u got a perfect score on the DATs... i recommend something else, maybe comp engineering?

to be honest, i dont think you have much of a shot...im not telling u to give up on this dream...but if ur gpa is really that low, its almost impossible to get in even if u got a perfect score on the DATs... i recommend something else, maybe comp engineering?

It really depends how many credits they have taken. If it's 60, it might be tough but people have done it. Look at the sub 3.0 thread. It isn't going to be, and it shouldn't, easy to be accepted with that GPA. You do really well (4.0) in a master's program that will look excellent.

I appreciate the input from everyone, I think one of the main things that I'm not getting across is that I dont intend to apply to dental school any time soon, I realize i need to go to a university that has substantial credibility. If anyone took a look on the link i posted above, it indeed says upon completion of the pre-dental program I am in now (at my CC) I can transfer to UIC and I also obtain an associates in science.

Now I understand when I get to UIC I can take all these same courses over again, and really buckle down, earn a high GPA at UIC, then possibly with already good standings with teachers and professors at UIC I will then start thinking about applying to dental school. I dont know if time is a factor, but for me i dont mind waiting around and going to school for 5 or 6 to earn the good gpa. Unless that would decrease my chances even more.

I appreciate all the input, more would be held with the utmost consideration. I'm not looking for sympathy either, please dont be afraid to tell me how you really fell. Also anyone knowing or having experienced similar situations would help too :)

I was in a similar situation to you when I started on the path to getting into dental school. I graduated after 5 years of college with a 2.3 overall and 2.1 science. My major was engineering so my science GPA was utterly demolished. Spent another 5 years since then and my overall is at ~ 3.0 right now and my science is still below 3.0. I've gotten interviews but I haven't gotten into any schools yet. I hope that I make it in this year. You have a long road ahead of you, but considering I messed up 5 years and you only did 2 it will take less time to raise your grades than it did mine. You're gonna need to show the schools that you have made a change and are serious about your studies. Its an uphill battle.

Hey thanks, I'm glad to hear that from you. Another underdog story is always good. I really hope the best for you, and I hope you get accepted.

I didnt mention my first two years of CC my parents were going through a nasty divorce, it effected me and my brother alot having to go to hearings and what not and having to miss classes. I figured it irrelevant since dental schools will not care to hear about that stuff either. But again I wish you the best of luck on getting into dental school.

During the primary & secondary application process you can put in information about extenuating circumstances that may have affected your academics. They may also ask you about it during interviews. So if something seriously affected you, you should talk about it.

I appreciate the input from everyone, I think one of the main things that I'm not getting across is that I dont intend to apply to dental school any time soon, I realize i need to go to a university that has substantial credibility. If anyone took a look on the link i posted above, it indeed says upon completion of the pre-dental program I am in now (at my CC) I can transfer to UIC and I also obtain an associates in science.

:)

You'll need to be enrolled in a bachelor's program and eventually obtain a bachelor's - not associates - to start dental school.

Right yeah i understand that as well, I was just pointing out I will get an associates upon completion of the program I am in now. I would indeed work on getting a bachelors before going to into dental school

how many credits have you taken at CC so far?

40, I did terrible my first two years. I almost dont know if it would be better to unenroll at this school, and start over at a new one.

Whether you start over at another school, you'll still have to report your CC grades when you apply to dent schools. Now if you start over as a freshman at a different university, you'll have more time to bring up that GPA up to a respectable one. The downside, as you already know, is that it'll be 4 more years. More time, more money. But if your heart and mind is set on becoming a dentist, then another 4 years is not much compared to the next 40-50 years of your life you'll enjoy as a dentist.

40, I did terrible my first two years. I almost dont know if it would be better to unenroll at this school, and start over at a new one.

All I know is that, if you plan to do this track, you need to enroll in a 4-year institution and get the 3.5+ grades ASAP. The dental track is like an investment. The longer you wait, you more you end up spending on your education, and the less you make in the end due to time lost that you could spend practicing later on.

Woops, wrong thread.

Last edited: