Do I still have a chance at med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

key1991

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone :D,
I need some help I got a 3.0 GPA in High school and did not want to go to private university and the university is huge. So I went to community college. In my first quarter I took basic algebra and got a C and English comp and got a B.
My second quarter I took English comp 2 and got an F, and failed algebra as well :( my mother was very sick and I missed out alot did not know I could drop classes then.
I did re take them got an A in English and a b in math.

I took algebra 2, and cultural diversity, and chem 100 and got an A though.
I am now taking intermediate algebra, sociology, and English 3 composition and expecting an A.

my GPA is a 3.37 now but if i get A's this quarter expecting a 3.53 and I am a sophmore.
Since I am in a community college, I was going to finish my math classes up to calc 2, general chemistry, and
maybe biology and transfer winter 2011 to my local University after I complete calc 2 and my chem series hopefully to get a bachelors degree in biology. My question is will having a low Gpa in the beginning keep me from going to medical school do i still have a chance?
Will having 2 years and one quarter at a cc be bad? I still have not taken bio, chem, physics, organic chemistry and I am a sophomore is that bad?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think going to a cc and getting low grades may hurt you alittle, but it can be repaired with a significant upward grade trend in your local university especially your science GPA since you haven't really taken any. As for when to take your pre-reqs that is up to you and when you were planning on taking the mcat. I would also suggest taking your pre-reqs from the university, just so it doesn't look like your trying to take the easy way in a community college.

My question is will having a low Gpa in the beginning keep me from going to medical school do i still have a chance?
Will having 2 years and one quarter at a cc be bad? I still have not taken bio, chem, physics, organic chemistry and I am a sophomore is that bad?
Adcomms love to see steep upward grade trends. You have a good excuse for the bad quarter, so don't worry about it, as it looks like your GPA is recovering nicely.

Some CCs do not provide sufficient rigor in their coursework to prepare one well for the MCAT, so taking as many prereqs at the 4-year school is preferred. What won't look good is if your grades take a dive after you transfer. Don't worry about how long it takes you to get the prerequisites done. It's more important that your grades be excellent.

Members don't see this ad :)
proofread my friend...your original post is a mess

proofread my friend...your original post is a mess
Well, he said he failed English, so yeah...

Anyway, you still have a chance OP. Just work hard in the coming years.

OP, I was in a similar position and did horribly throughout my first four quarters. I spent 3 years+ at a community college and didn't get around to the bio/phys/chem courses until my Junior/Senior years. But now that its all said and done, I had no trouble getting acceptances into US MD schools.

Don't lose hope. Just keep the grades up.

Adcomms love to see steep upward grade trends. You have a good excuse for the bad quarter, so don't worry about it, as it looks like your GPA is recovering nicely.

Some CCs do not provide sufficient rigor in their coursework to prepare one well for the MCAT, so taking as many prereqs at the 4-year school is preferred. What won't look good is if your grades take a dive after you transfer. Don't worry about how long it takes you to get the prerequisites done. It's more important that your grades be excellent.

oh oh cata i like ur new avatar, very holiday spirited :). this makes me wonder tho, is that cat the same cat as your previous avatar?

oh oh cata i like ur new avatar, very holiday spirited :). this makes me wonder tho, is that cat the same cat as your previous avatar?
My avatar is my rescued feral kitten who is occasionally cooperative with photo opportunities. She has been obliging enough to pose with a Santa hat taped to her head without getting too huffy about it. Thanx for the positive comment.

I don't have any experience beside working as pharmacy technician for about 2 months. I am planning on shadowing the doctor that my aunt works for
It's better not to hijack another's thread, but getting some clinical experience in a medical environment where you interact with sick people is a good idea.