Do I Still Have a Chance at Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adrwen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post here. I am wondering if my current circumstances still give me an opportunity to get into medical school.

First off, I graduated high school in 2012. I attended one university for two semesters (2012-2013) as a business major. I completed 31 credits there with a 3.0. I then transferred to another university for the fall of 2013 for a major in Biochemistry. Something happened to me that summer that made me want to become a doctor. I currently have completed 37 credits with a 3.05 GPA. I know my current GPA is not desirable but I still have 6 semesters left (about 76 credits; 67 being BCPM).
Current Stats:
Overall GPA (not including credits from the first university): 37 credit hours | 3.05 GPA
BCPM GPA: 3.25 (Bio I: B, Pre-Calc: B, Gen Chem I: B+, Gen Chem II: A-)

I am currently taking the following courses for this semester:
Bio II
Orgo I
Calc I
Phys I

I plan on graduating in May 2017, and hope to apply to medical school to straight out of undergrad. Do I still have hope if I get only A-/As? I am on track to get an A/A-/A-/A on my current courses. My grades have gone up if that helps.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely have time to bring back that GPA. Note that all grades from every school you've attended will be calculated. An upward trend - if you get one - is a bonus for your eventual application. Focus on your grades but also make certain you are volunteering in a clinical setting and a little bit in the community.

Hi,

This is my first post here. I am wondering if my current circumstances still give me an opportunity to get into medical school.

First off, I graduated high school in 2012. I attended one university for two semesters (2012-2013) as a business major. I completed 31 credits there with a 3.0. I then transferred to another university for the fall of 2013 for a major in Biochemistry. Something happened to me that summer that made me want to become a doctor. I currently have completed 37 credits with a 3.05 GPA. I know my current GPA is not desirable but I still have 6 semesters left (about 76 credits; 67 being BCPM).
Current Stats:
Overall GPA (not including credits from the first university): 37 credit hours | 3.05 GPA
BCPM GPA: 3.25 (Bio I: B, Pre-Calc: B, Gen Chem I: B+, Gen Chem II: A-)

I am currently taking the following courses for this semester:
Bio II
Orgo I
Calc I
Phys I

I plan on graduating in May 2017, and hope to apply to medical school to straight out of undergrad. Do I still have hope if I get only A-/As? I am on track to get an A/A-/A-/A on my current courses. My grades have gone up if that helps.

Thank you
Yes you have a chance. But you've had your learning period. You need good grades from here on out. Also typical ECs and the new MCAT, including relevant coursework.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are aware that you have to report ALL grades to AMCAS, right? So all your grades are factored in.
Do you know what your GPAs are with everything factored in?
Do you have a chance? Sure. But it's going to be an uphill battle.

My overall GPA with everything factored in should be about a 3.0/3.1 with 68 credits. I have 76 credits left. I calculated with a 4.0 for the rest of the courses I would have a 3.53 overall.

My overall GPA with everything factored in should be about a 3.0/3.1 with 68 credits. I have 76 credits left. I calculated with a 4.0 for the rest of the courses I would have a 3.53 overall.
a 3.5 isn't terribly competitive for MD, but it can be done pending a 30+ MCAT. that wouldn't be unheard of, assuming you apply broad and appropriately.

only one way to find out anyway, right? you could also consider DO and use grade replacement.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll just focus on my courses for now. Thanks everyone for the input, I really appreciate it!

By "apply to medical school straight out of undergrad" do you mean that you want to apply during the spring of your last year, or that you want to begin med school in the fall right after you graduate? If don't want any gap year, you'll have to apply during the spring/summer of 2016, so you won't have as many credits counting towards your GPA. Just something to keep in mind when you're doing your calculations.