Do I still need to shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biomaj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work as a CMA in a family medicine clinic, and already have over 500 hours (4 months working PT) of experience. My Q is, should I take the time to shadow one of the family docs, or since my work experience is pretty physician close, should I just continue shadowing the other specialties?

Members don't see this ad.

It wouldn't hurt, especially if you wanted to specialize in something other than FM.

I work as a CMA in a family medicine clinic, and already have over 500 hours (4 months working PT) of experience. My Q is, should I take the time to shadow one of the family docs, or since my work experience is pretty physician close, should I just continue shadowing the other specialties?

I think you're good. Its up to your own interest whether you want to shadow other specialties.

You'll have time during med school to shadow and decide what specialty you want to enter.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your job allows you to sit by and observe entire physician-patient interactions, from history-taking through explanations, education, and advocacy, then you're fine not to have additional formal shadowing with a FP. If you're in the room mainly to take VS, assist with procedures, or do studies, then try to get in some formal hours, as you will need more in-depth exposure to answer common interview questions. Also, make a point of discussing malpractice, insurance, staffing, advocacy,and difficult patient issues with your boss when you have a chance.

If you're in the room already when the physician does exams, I'd consider this equivalent to shadowing. Just find a couple of other unrelated specialties to shadow (surgeon, hospitalist, etc.).

Okay, thanks for the feedback. This leads me to another question, when I shadow the family physician, how many "formal" hours should I shoot for on addition to my work experience?

Okay, thanks for the feedback. This leads me to another question, when I shadow the family physician, how many "formal" hours should I shoot for on addition to my work experience?
As few as 4-8 hours, provided your total shadowing hours are at least 40, keeping in mind that 50 is the average listed, and 60-80 would give more comprehensive experience if you can manage it. Few programs want to see more than that.