Do I take USMLE Step II CK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

munchymanRX

Purveyor of Fine Nomz
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 223 USMLE 1, 573 COMLEX 1, and I'm wondering if I should try for the USMLE step 2 to bolster my stats.

I know there have been a lot of threads on this, but people either don't post numbers at all, or have stats that aren't close enough to mine to be useful.

Anyone have some advice for me? I figure I'd make this decision early-ish before I dropped some serious coin on prep materials. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

what do you want to be when you grow up?

also how confident are you that you can IMPROVE upon your score from step 1?

note: your score for step 1 is fine. but as a general (not absolute) rule, you shouldnt risk taking a step 2 (or at least not early) unless you think you can improve, especially if you did well on step 1.

doing well on USMLE Step 2 will only help your application. It shows ACGME PD's you are willing to go the extra mile to be on level comparison with MD students.

But Step 2 matters more for some specialties than others. I'd recommend you take a look at the PD survey (http://www.nrmp.org/data/programresultsbyspecialty2012.pdf) for your specialty or specialties of interest and see how much of a difference it makes.

Members don't see this ad :)
BUMP.

I got my COMLEX Level 1 score last week. Even though I passed, my score was shockingly lower than expected. I feel so hurt because my hard work these last 2 years definitely does not reflect my score! :(

Would I be able to take USMLE Step 2 even if I did not take Step 1? If possible, I would like 2 chances to redeem myself next year (COMLEX Level 2 and USMLE Step 2). FYI, my weaknesses in my Level 1 categories are physiology (I knew this was coming!) and hx and physical (whaaat??). My strengths are micro and OMM.

I love OMM and hope to go into FM and specialize in NMM or sports medicine. OMM has always been my strength - got straight As in my school in that class and aced COMAT OMM. Also, PM&R was my first choice specialty before, but now it's just in the back of my head now - still an option but my hopes got shot down.

I've been trying to find a thread to post with my question but this thread is the most relevant one. If you guys can redirect me to a better thread please let me know. Thanks!

BUMP.

I got my COMLEX Level 1 score last week. Even though I passed, my score was shockingly lower than expected. I feel so hurt because my hard work these last 2 years definitely does not reflect my score! :(

Would I be able to take USMLE Step 2 even if I did not take Step 1? If possible, I would like 2 chances to redeem myself next year (COMLEX Level 2 and USMLE Step 2). FYI, my weaknesses in my Level 1 categories are physiology (I knew this was coming!) and hx and physical (whaaat??). My strengths are micro and OMM.

I love OMM and hope to go into FM and specialize in NMM or sports medicine. OMM has always been my strength - got straight As in my school in that class and aced COMAT OMM. Also, PM&R was my first choice specialty before, but now it's just in the back of my head now - still an option but my hopes got shot down.
If you want NMM in pretty sure you'll get just about any program you want if you even passed. Also, I'd say don't take USMLE step 2, just my opinion.

Awesome, thanks for your input!

What about sports medicine? I've heard from other threads about taking USMLE step 2 because fellowships down the line might like that. If I indeed go into family medicine, I really really really REALLY don't want to just do family medicine!