Do I win worst interaction found ever?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mik30102

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my rotation today I found someone that was dispensed Nuedexta+amitriptyline+fluoxetine+ziprasidone who to top it off has heart failure. I could not believe that one of the pharmacists actually dispensed a regimen with three separate contraindications... Has anyone else seen something worse?

Members don't see this ad.

At my rotation today I found someone that was dispensed Nuedexta+amitriptyline+fluoxetine+ziprasidone who to top it off has heart failure. I could not believe that one of the pharmacists actually dispensed a regimen with three separate contraindications... Has anyone else seen something worse?
Did the patient die? I'm assuming not. It doesn't seem bad to me assuming there was aggressive EKG monitoring.

It's psych. Anything goes...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I once found out we had been dispensing Norco to someone with a codeine allergy on file.... I couldn't sleep for days just thinking about wellness of the patient. I win.

Codiene allergy= I want diladid
A true opiate allergy is impossibly rare to the point of irrelevance

I have a patient on Tikosyn. The ER staff love trying to kill her azith or moxi

I once found out we had been dispensing Norco to someone with a codeine allergy on file.... I couldn't sleep for days just thinking about wellness of the patient. I win.

Most patients with a codeine allergy can take any of the -codones or -morphones. It really depends on what the reaction was. I hope there is a place in retail computer systems to document that it is OK per MD to dispense, instead of calling every time.

Most patients with a codeine allergy can take any of the -codones or -morphones. It really depends on what the reaction was. I hope there is a place in retail computer systems to document that it is OK per MD to dispense, instead of calling every time.
My spidey sense believes he was trying to be sarcastic

typical student thinking he saved the day - In pysch you can throw the max doses and contraindications out the window

I just see if they got it more than once before. Two exposures with survival = not allergic.

typical student thinking he saved the day - In pysch you can throw the max doses and contraindications out the window

I agree with you on the max doses, but were talking about beyond significant QT prolongation here. In addition for 3/4 of the meds something else could have been chosen without the QT prolongation. (Say sertraline, abilify, ramelteon for insomnia). I also just happened to look at his charts and over the past few months he has had QT prolongation issues BEFORE the nuedexta was added this past month. I stand by my opinion that this should never have been dispensed.

I agree with you on the max doses, but were talking about beyond significant QT prolongation here. In addition for 3/4 of the meds something else could have been chosen without the QT prolongation. (Say sertraline, abilify, ramelteon for insomnia). I also just happened to look at his charts and over the past few months he has had QT prolongation issues BEFORE the nuedexta was added this past month. I stand by my opinion that this should never have been dispensed.
Exactly. EKG findings matter more than a list of drugs. A patient on zero drugs with prolonged QTc shouldn't have been put on Nuedexta. The other meds are inconsequential.

Codiene allergy= I want diladid
A true opiate allergy is impossibly rare to the point of irrelevance

I have a patient on Tikosyn. The ER staff love trying to kill her azith or moxi

o_O sure, because anyone who has a rare allergy is just lying.

I'm allergic to Methylprednisolone; gives me anaphylaxis. The ER staff thought I was just having a panic attack until I turned the color of a lobster from head to toe. That ER trip turned into a three day hospital stay at their expense.

I love it when people ignore scientific reasoning for their own personal opinions.

Reactions: 1 user
yes, obviously you need to have all the facts, but just because some book says it interacts, doesn't mean i is clinical significant in every case. So, yes, if there was an issue before hand, what was her Qtc (not QT)

o_O sure, because anyone who has a rare allergy is just lying.

I love it when people ignore scientific reasoning for their own personal opinions.

I'm not ignoring science, hypersensitivity opiates is so rare that clinical pharmacology doesn't even list it as a contraindication. Some people may get itchy on opiates but that's non allergic histamine release. But it does list methylpred allergy under its monograph So...

Last edited:
I've had patient's on several QTc prolonging agents before. It matters more what their QTc actually is than how many prolonging agents are on their profile. This would be a risk/benefit kind of thing. With psych patients, we often have to push the limit on some of these things just to get the patient some semblance of normal function.

Not even close. THIS is the worst drug interaction.

NzcAXlc.jpg

Reactions: 2 users