Do LPC's get paid for Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beachhaven

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently finishing up my master's in mental health counseling and completing my internship at a private practice. In VA, a counselor must accumulate 4000 supervised hours (2 years) in order to sit for the licensure exam. I was wondering if most people are getting paid during those 4000 hours? How does this work in private practice if it is not billed under you? Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

In CA, this is often called internship and there are paid and volunteer positions. Since interns must receive supervision while accumulating hours, this factors in. Some interns pay for supervised hours. Some sites offer lower pay and also provide (free) supervision. Some provide competitive pay. Congratulations and best of luck to you!

Edit: do all 4000 of your hours need to be supervised? That's different from here.

Yes, all 4000 have to be supervised but you can use some of your hours from your master's program (900 if it is CACREP accredited)