DO match results 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ManBroDude

Half man, half bearpig
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It may be too early, but the match goes live in a couple of days (2/13/2012)!

Feel free to discuss. I'm interested to see how students from some of the newer schools match (like PNWU, who graduates their first class this year).

When are results "official"?

Members don't see this ad.

Does the DO match work the same as the MD match? On Monday, they find out if they match or get a MD match in March? The scramble from Tues to Thurs and then the match is on Thurs??

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also really excited about PNWU's match results, as this is (so far) my #1 school. Hurry up and come Feb 13th!

Is it nerdy of me to get really excited to follow up on this thread? I feel like I'm waiting for the NBA draft to start.

there isn't going to be much information released about specific schools on Monday. it is going to take weeks or months for that information to get posted. the only thing of value released on Monday, in my opinion, is how many new residency spots were created this year.

Several MD schools stream video of their match day live...it's a lot of fun to watch

Does the DO match work the same as the MD match? On Monday, they find out if they match or get a MD match in March? The scramble from Tues to Thurs and then the match is on Thurs??

I believe the Match systems work similarly. One major point though is that if students find out they matched somewhere in the DO match, they are pulled from the MD match in March. This is one thing to consider when deciding which route to go. Many students just wait for the MD match it seems.

How do you figure MSU came out 'on top' of the AOA match? What do you mean by that?

Well look below and you'll see the trend. Considering the students who chose to participate in the aoa match at each school, they have the highest match percentage. Although non-match percentage would be more telling i guess and in that case a strong trend doesn't exist over the years.

http://natmatch.com/aoairp/stats/2008sklstats.htm

http://natmatch.com/aoairp/stats/2009sklstats.htm

http://natmatch.com/aoairp/stats/2010sklstats.htm

Also why you are u so over family med. man lol.

Last edited:
Surprising that PCOM joins MSU, OSUCOM, and LECOM with very low (<35%) numbers of non-participants (AKA they decided to skip the DO match and go MD only).

i think doktorb was referring to the msu college of human medicine as being linked to msucom. but yeah you're right The U of M has prestigious residencies that usually don't taken on DOs or low tier MD students for that matter. They are very research based.

...blah u deleted the post. its cool though.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Surprising that PCOM joins MSU, OSUCOM, and LECOM with very low (<35%) numbers of non-participants (AKA they decided to skip the DO match and go MD only).

Since PCOM has a lot of affiliated aoa residencies, I would think this is mainly due to students become accustomed to those clinical sites during years 3 and 4 so much so that they are kind of impressed into applying for whatever osteo specialty they're gunning for under the PCOM OGME.

also LECOM has a monster list of clinical affiliates and residencies spread over 3 schools so they pretty much rack up a lot participants in the aoa match.

Why do some of the really competitive residencies have 1 or 2 spots left open after the match? ie: ophtho, rads, ortho, and gen surg?

Surprising? Not really... If you think about it, they are all from those mandatory AOA internship states...

i think doktorb was referring to the msu college of human medicine as being linked to msucom. but yeah you're right The U of M has prestigious residencies that usually don't taken on DOs or low tier MD students for that matter. They are very research based.

...blah u deleted the post. its cool though.

Michigan ACGME programs have very few DOs in general because in MI unlike the other mandatory AOA internship states you can't even do a residency as a DO without an AOA internship (or at least that's how it used to be)... Therefore, there are very few DOs who would do an AOA internship and go back to re-apply to do an ACGME residency (hence why MSU always has the highest AOA match participation %). That's in addition to U of M competitiveness...

Last edited:
Ok sometimes some of these stats really throw me off...."non-matched"= scrambled?? If so, aren't those percentages kind of high? I know you can scramble if you don't play the Match right (rank too few, not realistically, etc), but it just seems high to have anywhere from 10-20% of your students not match...

Then again, maybe I'm totally misinterpreting... :)

Ok sometimes some of these stats really throw me off...."non-matched"= scrambled?? If so, aren't those percentages kind of high? I know you can scramble if you don't play the Match right (rank too few, not realistically, etc), but it just seems high to have anywhere from 10-20% of your students not match...

Then again, maybe I'm totally misinterpreting... :)

Not necessarily... You are forgetting about the ACGME match...

There are people who rank very few programs in the AOA while having ACGME programs as backups and there are also people who would rank competitive AOA spots while ranking less competitive ACGME spots as backup (Ortho in AOA and IM in ACGME for instance).

So not all of the non-matched students in the AOA will scramble although some obviously will....

Not necessarily... You are forgetting about the ACGME match...

There are people who rank very few programs in the AOA while having ACGME programs as backups and there are also people who would rank competitive AOA spots while ranking less competitive ACGME spots as backup (Ortho in AOA and IM in ACGME for instance).

So not all of the non-matched students in the AOA will scramble although some obviously will....
I see...that makes sense. Thanks!

This is one place where statistics can really be skewed when people discuss them. Referencing the match rate doesn't really carry a TON of weight then....I mean if a school had some outrageously high percent on unmatched, it would put up a red flag I guess, but these are all fairly comparable. I can see where people would rank a crazy competitive few programs in the AOA match and then want to be defaulted into the ACGME match if they didn't place there. Interesting....

So I pulled up the stats i compiled from a year ago. The most relevant stat to draw from the AOA match is what percentage of people who apply to AOA actually match to AOA. Sure a percentage of people will make "low odds of success" AOA spots if they are confident in their ACGME chances, but you have to sort of assume that phenomenon is even across all schools and negligible in the end. The AOA match rate (out of AOA applicants) is the stat being measured here.

2011 results

UNECOM &#8211; 86%
MSU &#8211; 84.3%
ATSU &#8211; 84%
WVSOM &#8211; 83.9%
MWU-CCOM &#8211; 83.3%
PCOM &#8211; 82.9%
LECOM-BRAD &#8211; 80.2%
LMU-DCOM &#8211; 79.3%
OSU &#8211; 79.3%
TouroNY - 78.8%
KCOM &#8211; 78.3%
LECOM &#8211; 77.7%
OUCOM &#8211; 77%
NSU &#8211; 75.6%
VCOM &#8211; 75.5%
KCUMB &#8211; 75%
MWU-AZCOM &#8211; 75%
UMDNJ &#8211; 75%
DMU &#8211; 74.5%
UNTHSCT &#8211; 73.1%
NYCOM &#8211; 72.5%
GAPCOM &#8211; 65.8%
TouroNV &#8211; 64.9%
WESTUCOMP &#8211; 61.9%
TouroCA &#8211; 60%

So I pulled up the stats i compiled from a year ago. The most relevant stat to draw from the AOA match is what percentage of people who apply to AOA actually match to AOA. Sure a percentage of people will make "low odds of success" AOA spots if they are confident in their ACGME chances, but you have to sort of assume that phenomenon is even across all schools and negligible in the end. The AOA match rate (out of AOA applicants) is the stat being measured here.

:thumbup:

2011 results

UNECOM – 86%
MSU – 84.3%
ATSU – 84%
WVSOM – 83.9%
MWU-CCOM – 83.3%
PCOM – 82.9%
LECOM-BRAD – 80.2%
LMU-DCOM – 79.3%
OSU – 79.3%
TouroNY - 78.8%
KCOM – 78.3%
LECOM – 77.7%
OUCOM – 77%
NSU – 75.6%
VCOM – 75.5%
KCUMB – 75%
MWU-AZCOM – 75%
UMDNJ – 75%
DMU – 74.5%
UNTHSCT – 73.1%
NYCOM – 72.5%
GAPCOM – 65.8%
TouroNV – 64.9%
WESTUCOMP – 61.9%
TouroCA – 60%
Ok wait, I'm back to confused again lol...these numbers are different from the other ones how? The other numbers being these, that is: http://natmatch.com/aoairp/stats/2011sklstats.htm

Just to use my school as an example, how is the 79.3% different than the 52.8% I see when I click on the link. From what I'm getting, both were referencing the number of those who applied AOA and match AOA, but clearlly I'm missing something here....in my defense, my brain in swimming in repro material for an exam Monday :)

Ok. So u basically did this. Take UNE for example:

Total students:120+3 prev. students=123
Non-participants:82

123-82=41 took part in the AOA match and 35 match AOA. So that's a 35/41=85.3% or about 86% aoa match success rate.

Ok wait, I'm back to confused again lol...these numbers are different from the other ones how? The other numbers being these, that is: http://natmatch.com/aoairp/stats/2011sklstats.htm

Just to use my school as an example, how is the 79.3% different than the 52.8% I see when I click on the link. From what I'm getting, both were referencing the number of those who applied AOA and match AOA, but clearlly I'm missing something here....in my defense, my brain in swimming in repro material for an exam Monday :)

The natmatch website simply reports the "percent" as people as either matching into AOA or not. Regardless of whether they had any intention of even trying to match AOA. Rather than just use their under-processed number, I'd rather go ahead and analyze the true match rate, by measuring the number of people matching in the context of who even applied for AOA matching.

see below for the math of it.

123-82=41 took part in the AOA match and 35 match AOA. So that's a 35/41=85.3% or about 86% aoa match success rate.

Got it....so 79.3% of LMU's first class that APPLIED for AOA match actually matched into it. Whereas 52.8% of the overall class matched AOA, though some of those people didn't technically apply and should therefore not really be factored in when gauging the school's success at matching into the AOA residencies.

I think I have this down now... :) 79.3% isn't too shabby for a new school, especially if the highest achieved is 86%. Also not bad when you do factor in those people who probably only ranked highly competitive AOA slots and then defaulted into ACGME.

Thanks guys :) Seriously, blaming it on pre-exam brain drain....or else, a total loss of basic math comprehension skills lol

Got it....so 79.3% of LMU's first class that APPLIED for AOA match actually matched into it. Whereas 52.8% of the overall class matched AOA, though some of those people didn't technically apply and should therefore not really be factored in when gauging the school's success at matching into the AOA residencies.

I think I have this down now... :) 79.3% isn't too shabby for a new school, especially if the highest achieved is 86%. Also not bad when you do factor in those people who probably only ranked highly competitive AOA slots and then defaulted into ACGME.

No doubt this school has a great future. If LMU was in nashville instead of harotagate, I probably would have gone to their interview.

2011 results

UNECOM – 86%
MSU – 84.3%
ATSU – 84%
WVSOM – 83.9%
MWU-CCOM – 83.3%
PCOM – 82.9%
LECOM-BRAD – 80.2%
LMU-DCOM – 79.3%
OSU – 79.3%
TouroNY - 78.8%
KCOM – 78.3%
LECOM – 77.7%
OUCOM – 77%
NSU – 75.6%
VCOM – 75.5%
KCUMB – 75%
MWU-AZCOM – 75%
UMDNJ – 75%
DMU – 74.5%
UNTHSCT – 73.1%
NYCOM – 72.5%
GAPCOM – 65.8%
TouroNV – 64.9%
WESTUCOMP – 61.9%
TouroCA – 60%

Frankly, those numbers don't tell the whole story. If DO students could ONLY match into AOA residencies, then this data would be relevant. But since the AOA match occurs 1 month before what many consider to be the "real" match, all this shows is how likely the school's students are to "place all their eggs" in the AOA "basket", so to speak.

For example: Touro CA, Western, and Touro NV round out the very bottom of this list, but in actuality most of their students are from California and are looking to stay in California where there aren't a lot of AOA residencies. The only way it's going to happen for them is placing only the top AOA California positions (which are very competitive), and once they don't match (surprisingly), they're already prepared and lined up to match into an MD residency.

No doubt this school has a great future. If LMU was in nashville instead of harotagate, I probably would have gone to their interview.

I hear ya on that one....Nashville is one my favorite cities that I've ever lived in (I'm starting to rack up quite a list too, so that is actually saying quite a bit lol). The alright thing about it thought is that you're not totally stuck there. Like for example, I lived in Harrogate my first year, moved to Knoxville 2nd year (I'm commuting in, but only have to drive in 2x or so a week because of the recorded lectures and limited number of required activities like OPP lab, exams, etc). For 3rd and 4th year, you are only tied down for 7 months of 3rd year and 4 months of 4th year....2 of our core sites for those times are in Knoxville and Memphis. And the newest one they added is only about 90 min from Nashville :) Other than those 11 months, you're free to roam the country basically. A drawback for some is the need to coordinate those other rotations, but for the freedom, it's a sacrifice I'm happy to make. I plan to travel all over and stay with friends all over the country that I won't really get to see ever once I'm settled into a hospital/practice somewhere.

2011 results

UNECOM &#8211; 86%
MSU &#8211; 84.3%
ATSU &#8211; 84%
WVSOM &#8211; 83.9%
MWU-CCOM &#8211; 83.3%
PCOM &#8211; 82.9%
LECOM-BRAD &#8211; 80.2%
LMU-DCOM &#8211; 79.3%
OSU &#8211; 79.3%
TouroNY - 78.8%
KCOM &#8211; 78.3%
LECOM &#8211; 77.7%
OUCOM &#8211; 77%
NSU &#8211; 75.6%
VCOM &#8211; 75.5%
KCUMB &#8211; 75%
MWU-AZCOM &#8211; 75%
UMDNJ &#8211; 75%
DMU &#8211; 74.5%
UNTHSCT &#8211; 73.1%
NYCOM &#8211; 72.5%
GAPCOM &#8211; 65.8%
TouroNV &#8211; 64.9%
WESTUCOMP &#8211; 61.9%
TouroCA &#8211; 60%

Although I love being #1, as a future internist I am obligated to be a purist and therefore I have to point out the flaw in your calculations... (Sorry):

The NMS data and your numbers includes folks who matched through the military match (which has nothing to do with the AOA) therefore artificially increasing the match percentages since they do not include non-matched military people.

So the actual 2011 AOA match rates are (i.e. Percent of students matched in the AOA out of students who applied AOA):

MSUCOM - 83.64%
ATSU-SOMA - 82.50%
WVSOM - 81.82%
MWU-CCOM - 81.25%
PCOM - 81.21%
UNECOM - 80.00%
OSUCOM - 78.95%
LECOM-BRAD - 78.48%
OUCOM - 76.39%
TOUROCOM - 76.27%
LECOM - 76.22%
LMU-DCOM - 76.06%
UMDNJSOM - 74.29%
NSUCOM - 74.19%
KCOM - 73.20%
UNTHSCTCOM - 71.43%
NYCOM - 71.23%
GA-PCOM - 70.45%
MWU-AZCOM - 69.49%
DMUCOM - 68.75%
VCOM - 68.49%
KCUMBCOM - 68.37%
PCSOM - 67.57%
TUNCOM - 61.97%
WESTUCOMP - 60.40%
TUCOM-CA - 52.73%

Calculation: {1- [Non-match / (Total # of students - Non-participants - Military)]} * 100%
Sample: MSUCOM = {1 - [27 / (216 - 44 - 7)]} * 100% = 83.64%

Frankly, those numbers don't tell the whole story. If DO students could ONLY match into AOA residencies, then this data would be relevant. But since the AOA match occurs 1 month before what many consider to be the "real" match, all this shows is how likely the school's students are to "place all their eggs" in the AOA "basket", so to speak.

For example: Touro CA, Western, and Touro NV round out the very bottom of this list, but in actuality most of their students are from California and are looking to stay in California where there aren't a lot of AOA residencies. The only way it's going to happen for them is placing only the top AOA California positions (which are very competitive), and once they don't match (surprisingly), they're already prepared and lined up to match into an MD residency.

I agree. But also the whole DO match occurring a month before the MD one can give a young DO the advantage of applying to ROAD residencies AOA, and having a strong MD fall back. I'm sure there are many and I mean many ;) students that use this strategy.

Although I love being #1, as a future internist I am obligated to be a purist and therefore I have to point out the flaw in your calculations... (Sorry):

The NMS data and your numbers includes folks who matched through the military match (which has nothing to do with the AOA) therefore artificially increasing the match percentages since they do not include non-matched military people.

So the actual 2011 AOA match rates are (i.e. Percent of students matched in the AOA out of students who applied AOA):

MSUCOM - 83.64%
ATSU-SOMA - 82.50%
WVSOM - 81.82%
MWU-CCOM - 81.25%
PCOM - 81.21%
UNECOM - 80.00%
OSUCOM - 78.95%
LECOM-BRAD - 78.48%
OUCOM - 76.39%
TOUROCOM - 76.27%
LECOM - 76.22%
LMU-DCOM - 76.06%
UMDNJSOM - 74.29%
NSUCOM - 74.19%
KCOM - 73.20%
UNTHSCTCOM - 71.43%
NYCOM - 71.23%
GA-PCOM - 70.45%
MWU-AZCOM - 69.49%
DMUCOM - 68.75%
VCOM - 68.49%
KCUMBCOM - 68.37%
PCSOM - 67.57%
TUNCOM - 61.97%
WESTUCOMP - 60.40%
TUCOM-CA - 52.73%

Calculation: {1- [Non-match / (Total # of students - Non-participants - Military)]} * 100%

That's definitely worth pointing out....interestingly though, most don't change much it seems. I didn't look at all of them, but the half or so I skimmed seem to drop around the same amount, when doing a comparative analysis, either is still fairly useful.

MSUCOM - 83.64%
ATSU-SOMA - 82.50%
WVSOM - 81.82%
MWU-CCOM - 81.25%
PCOM - 81.21%
UNECOM - 80.00%
OSUCOM - 78.95%
LECOM-BRAD - 78.48%
OUCOM - 76.39%
TOUROCOM - 76.27%
LECOM - 76.22%
LMU-DCOM - 76.06%
UMDNJSOM - 74.29%
NSUCOM - 74.19%
KCOM - 73.20%
UNTHSCTCOM - 71.43%
NYCOM - 71.23%
GA-PCOM - 70.45%
MWU-AZCOM - 69.49%
DMUCOM - 68.75%
VCOM - 68.49%
KCUMBCOM - 68.37%
PCSOM - 67.57%
TUNCOM - 61.97%
WESTUCOMP - 60.40%
TUCOM-CA - 52.73%

Ah snapp. That's what I thought when I was doing the calculations then I just thought the military thing was separate.

As long as everyone is using some derivation of my own or balas numbers i have no problem. I honestly didnt understand the subtlety of the military match a year ago when i first made these numbers.

As for ManBroDude's comment. Your argument is a year too late. That argument was made many many times a year ago and was dismantled completely by some touroCA and NV students (not me). I forget exactly what they said, but essentially it boiled down to the fact that their students didnt have a higher percentage of applicants to california than other schools (AOA or ACGME), seeing as cali is the #2 or #3 residency target state for more than half of the schools (same cant be said for NV). If you want the exact argument, as i said i'm fuzzy on it, look up some threads from a year ago on matching. I forget if it was stated on here or the regular DO forum.

I feel that "sure it plays in at some level in touroCA and western", but its not a significant enough factor to critique the stats on if the "in-state seekers" arent statistically different than some other non-cali schools. They're just not schools that had good years in the AOA last year.

Well I'll be darned.

Too darned lazy to search!

Wow, WesternU's numbers are terrifyingly dismal. I'm pretty suprised.

Well, this is what I came up with, which is what I was trying to say:

I can tell you being from Touro CA that a high percentage of our students are likely aiming for MD residencies.

It would seem to me that a low match rate is a sign that a majority of the applicants were probably using the AOA match as a back-up option, mostly due to wanting to match on the west coast, but probably for other reasons as well. The MD match seems to be the major focus for most of the class of 2011 students whom I have been in contact with this year, so I'll be wishing them success and hoping to update this thread with some great results. :)

But this summed it up well:

These lists are way to early to publish. For starters, not all students are doing the AOA match. A good number of my classmates are doing the allopathic match, there for those results will not be available until after March 15 or whatever day the match is.

To answer the above question, you can rank as many places as your little heart desires. But you can only match to 1 place. And if you plan on doing both the AOA and the AMA match realize this, that once you match into the AOA program, you are automatically pulled from the AMA match.

When you match to a program, this is a binding contract. You have agreed to attend their program for at least 1 year. Therefor you need to make sure that whatever you put on your list, you intend to attend if you match there. That being said, remember that everything costs money. So for the first bunch of programs you list, it is free after that it will cost you per program.

Finally, as stated before, these are very preliminary results and do not reflect those that did not participate in the AOA match so they can participate in the AMA match. Wait one more month for the final results.

I guess I am not fully understanding the numbers. Why would schools be so low? did they have more students reaching for crazy stuff? are these schools putting out worse DO students? are these schools providing less quality? is the average student socially awkward? i guess I would like someone smarter to tell me the why. what does this list really mean and what do i do with the information?

I guess I am not fully understanding the numbers. Why would schools be so low? did they have more students reaching for crazy stuff? are these schools putting out worse DO students? are these schools providing less quality? is the average student socially awkward? i guess I would like someone smarter to tell me the why. what does this list really mean and what do i do with the information?

To quote Bala, these lists identify the "Percent of students matched in the AOA out of students who applied AOA" for each COM.

Reasons why numbers might be deceiving:

1) Lots of students gun for the ACGME match

2) Students apply for AOA ROAD residencies and fall back on MD.

3) This is not a full matchlist so the info is basically incomplete

The list tells you that in 2011 out of the students who applied to AOA residency spots at each given COM, X% matched into an AOA residency.

Now, comparing 80% to 75% match rates doesn't mean anything as there are so many variables that go into it (e.g. how many places ranked, what specialty, etc.). However, 80% vs. 50% match rates should raise some eyebrows, IMO. Because at the very least, it tells you that students at those schools are to some degree over-estimating their competitiveness or possibly are not getting proper guidance. But even then it doesn't tell you much and doesn't mean that any given school is "bad" just based on AOA match data.

You also have to realize that there are schools like UNE-COM and TCOM with less than 30% AOA participation rates (excluding military) compared to MSU-COM with over 70% and everyone else is in between. It is hard to draw conclusions on schools with low (e.g. <30%) participation rates while it is a lot easier for schools with higher rates (e.g. >70%)

At the end of the day, the average overall (AOA+ACGME+Military+etc) DO match rate is in the higher 80s (approx. 87-89% range) with more established schools slightly higher and newer schools slightly lower.

This is just another data set to add to your knowledge base if you are deciding on a school. It shouldn't be the only factor but you should consider it along with ACGME matches and other info. If you are already set on or attending a school it is just FYI and doesn't mean much except to give you a perspective on how your "seniors" did compared to other schools.

Question about these figures - maybe this has been addressed but I'm tired and it might be escaping me. Would the student who wasn't sure how they would do in the ACGME match and applied both AOA and ACGME, then ended up with a decent amount of ACGME interviews and dropped out of the AOA match be included as someone who applied AOA but didn't match? I have heard several anecdotes of students doing this (or only getting 3 ACGME interviews and staying in the AOA match, etc).

Question about these figures - maybe this has been addressed but I'm tired and it might be escaping me. Would the student who wasn't sure how they would do in the ACGME match and applied both AOA and ACGME, then ended up with a decent amount of ACGME interviews and dropped out of the AOA match be included as someone who applied AOA but didn't match? I have heard several anecdotes of students doing this (or only getting 3 ACGME interviews and staying in the AOA match, etc).

If you are not ranking AOA programs (i.e. skipping AOA match) you "must" withdraw from the AOA match if you previously registered for it. In that case they are NOT included in the stated numbers.

However, even though you receive a gazillion emails reminding you to do this, I am sure there are at least 1-2 students at each school who fail to withdraw (it requires physically pushing a button on the website). In that case they will be included in the unmatched numbers.

Short Answer: NO.
Long Answer: Possibly but unlikely/low.

one more day. so excited
How quickly does the information get analyzed and posted on an official site of sorts? Sucks that tomorrow we have an exam....it should be an exciting day on campus when all the info starts pouring in. Anybody know what time it's released?

How quickly does the information get analyzed and posted on an official site of sorts? Sucks that tomorrow we have an exam....it should be an exciting day on campus when all the info starts pouring in. Anybody know what time it's released?

Officially? I dobt think its ever officially compiled in a way that would be useful. At least not centrally. Various (some, not all) schools will officially release results over a 10 to 14 day period. Then 2 weeks radii silence until the nrmp.

Really the big thing to keep your eyes open for is students self reporting locations as they usually get lists up from each place in the first two or three days of self reported results.

Dont some do students choose to not
Match in aoa at all?