DO matching into MD residency??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deacondo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much more difficult is it for DO students to match into MD programs than it is for MD students? I know that matching into ophthalmology is difficult regardless of where you start, and that as a DO student I will likely be discriminated against at most institutions, but does anyone have any insight into the degree of discrimination or know of any programs that are more receptive to DO students?

Members don't see this ad.

OSU has DO who matched into their program and is now Retina Fellow.
Look him up on their webpage. Might be worth contacting...

Members don't see this ad :)
DOCTOR SAIB (SDN member and I apologize if I spelled that wrong) is a DO from PCOM who matched ACGME ophthalmology a few years back. I believe he was also the first DO accepted into the program.

However, my guess is that, in general, it would be much more difficult.

I'm wondering this too -- How much do program's take into consideration your interest/activities in the field??

For example, I was an ophthalmic technician all through undergrad, also was certified by JCAHPO. I really love the field -- and this summer I'll be doing a community health internship focusing a project on vision care access. Would this, combined with a publication (neuroscience) and several good rotations + letters be helpful in getting a residency (specifically an MD residency)?

Any MD's match into DO ophthalmology programs? I would guess not. DO programs probably wouldn't take MDs.