DO/MD in Tx? URM, 3.7 cGPA, 26 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gb012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.72
sGPA: 3.70
MCAT: 26 (10/6/10...second time, went down on verbal even though I had been getting 9's and 10's on practice tests)

Clinical: ER scribe, 50+ hours shadowing family practice MD's, and I've had plenty of patient contact while being a volunteer at the state psychiatric hospital

Research: 2 years of microbio research, no pub (quickly realized that I didn't like research and didn't pursue it any further after sophomore year)

Volunteer work: 100hrs in a children's hospital and the state psychiatric hospital, tutored at risk children since freshman year, my senior year I was a STEM after school teacher, I've worked in a transitional shelter for immigrants (taught English, how to use a computer, etc), volunteered in a children's shelter, and I've done several public health related projects that I'll go more into more depth in my application

In my essays I plan on discussing the challenges I've overcome being a URM, first generation college student from an economically disadvantaged background. I'll also emphasize how I'm passionate about working with minority populations and how I would like to work in underserved areas similar to the ones I grew up in. I plan on submitting LORs from a professor who can speak lengths about my interests in public health, and an ER physician.

I'm a recent UT Austin graduate and was planning on applying to most of the Texas schools (probably not Baylor and UT Southwestern). I hadn't looked into DO schools that much, but I definitely will now that I've received my MCAT score. I'd really appreciate some advice/input on what schools I might have a chance and whether or not I should take the MCAT for a 3rd time. I know that my less than averages scores are really holding me back from getting into schools like UTMB or UTHSCSA, but at this point I don't see my verbal score improving in time...plus I don't want to risk getting a lower PS/BS score.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.