Do MDs in alternative healthcare careers need residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idkididk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but for the sake of argument, if someone in medical school wants to go into healthcare consulting or medical device consulting, do they need to go trough residency training to be credible?

Members don't see this ad.

Gee, lets think out loud for a second...

You think a company that makes surgical instruments and devices will take you on as a consultant? As in, pay you for your knowledge and expertise.. when your only exposure to surgery was as a med student rotating for a month or two...

How about consulting for Health IT? Again, if you have a BA in Psych and then just finished your MD... I doubt you would be able to provide much value to anyone in HIT.

The answer, however, is no. No, you don't have to do residency. Yet, you do need to be able to provide value (thats what people pay for).

From my professional experience, I knew a small amount of MDs that did do HIT implementation for vendors before Residency (at least temporarily) . But they were basically Implementation consultants with a MD behind their name (same responsibility as any other Implementor). I didn't ask how much they made, but it was definitely less than the actual ex-Attendings on staff, who have a different set of responsibilities and paygrade appropriate to their experience.