Do med schools care about research relating to medicine, or research showing commitment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoyKim456

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would a semester long research in cancer or heart disease be preferred over a 5 year long commitment to a single research project in science but non-medicine related (such as physics, chemistry, or earth science), assuming progress was made in both?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you learn something about the scientific method, it doesn't matter whether the research is in cancer biology or mating habits of South Seas clams.

Would a semester long research in cancer or heart disease be preferred over a 5 year long commitment to a single research project in science but non-medicine related (such as physics, chemistry, or earth science), assuming progress was made in both?

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Now I want to learn about the mating habits of south sea clams.

Reactions: 4 users
You heard it hear folks, do some research with South Seas clams and you're golden for med school!! (I now plan to do my thesis on it ;))

Reactions: 1 user

Honest question:

Which do you think logically would be more impressive?

Reactions: 8 users
Dude, clearly the 5 year long project. If would be absurd for admissions do discriminate against non medicine related research projects considering applicants come from literally all different backgrounds. Also, 1 semester is not enough time to actually do research, anyone who's been on a project knows this. Talking about your results after you've been working for 5 years is much more convincing

@mimelim

I know that my question seems vain and disgusting, but that was honestly not my intention. I honestly love science and love research. However, I really don't mind which one is more impressive. I know that seems contradictory to my original post, but want I really want to do is something that will give me the skills sets so that I am good at exploring my intellectual side. Will that come with something related to medicine or with a commitment to a research project I am very interested in and can explore myself, my ideas, and how I process with discovering and communicating information?

Now the reason why I mentioned "medical schools" was my way of relating my prospective career to what I am doing now.

@mimelim

I know that my question seems vain and disgusting, but that was honestly not my intention. I honestly love science and love research. However, I really don't mind which one is more impressive. I know that seems contradictory to my original post, but want I really want to do is something that will give me the skills sets so that I am good at exploring my intellectual side. Will that come with something related to medicine or with a commitment to a research project I am very interested in and can explore myself, my ideas, and how I process with discovering and communicating information?

Now the reason why I mentioned "medical schools" was my way of relating my prospective career to what I am doing now.
Lolwut?
You aren't going to gain much of anything from a single semester of research, be it "exploring yourself" :rolleyes: or impressing med schools. A 5 year project, no matter the topic, will have much more impact.