Do med schools care how much units you take per quarter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boba96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would 12-14 units be too little and raise concerns? Does the number of units per quarter that I take weigh into my application decision? What would be a good number of units to take? 18 units or more?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what you're doing at the same time. The major consensus on this forum is that if you try and eek out Gen Chem 1 by itself and get a 4.0 with nothing else going on (extreme example) then adcoms might question whether you can handle the pace of med school. I take on average 10 credits a quarter (2 science classes plus labs) but i also work ~25 to 26 hours a week at the hospital, and I'm not personally worried about anyone questioning my ability to handle a lot at once with that load.

If you want to lighten your class load, try volunteering somewhere at the same time or get involved in research so you're at least being comparably productive.

If it's a single quarter of light units, I doubt it will even be noticed. If you literally take the bare minimum of units every quarter, there might be some people who notice and find that strange and some may question whether you can handle a heavier load. All in all, your GPA is the most important, so if you have to, go for it.

No, but they care whether you are able to speak properly and match the proper subjects and adjectives.