Do Med Schools give any sort of 'priority' to re applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoyKim456

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do they also average out volunteer hours (such as hours/yr) or anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Most don't. A few, very few, do.

I have no earthly idea about volunteer hours, we used to have to put the average per week we did them.

Members don't see this ad :)
No and no.

Being a reapplicant can actually hurt if you haven't really improved yourself over the previous cycle.
Agree, with the exception being if the OP's main issue was that they had a poor app strategy the prior year (applied late, too few schools, wrong schools, etc.) and fixed those mistakes for the current cycle, even with the same app.

OP, in medicine as in most everything, it's always better to be doing things right than doing them over. If you're a reapplicant, you should really introspect seriously about what went wrong during your prior cycle so that you can fix those mistakes and be successful on your next cycle. We'd be able to give you better advice on how to improve your app if you gave us some specifics about your situation.

Agreed. I think we should make a difference between a reapplicant to school X, vs being a new applicant to school Y in a second app cycle.

Agree, with the exception being if the OP's main issue was that they had a poor app strategy the prior year (applied late, too few schools, wrong schools, etc.) and fixed those mistakes for the current cycle, even with the same app.

OP, in medicine as in most everything, it's always better to be doing things right than doing them over. If you're a reapplicant, you should really introspect seriously about what went wrong during your prior cycle so that you can fix those mistakes and be successful on your next cycle. We'd be able to give you better advice on how to improve your app if you gave us some specifics about your situation.

Agreed. I think we should make a difference between a reapplicant to school X, vs being a new applicant to school Y in a second app cycle.
Yes, I distinguish between those two categories of reapplicants as well. The former group definitely needs to have made some significant improvement to their app since the old app was already judged to be subpar by that school. Whereas, the latter group may already have had a reasonably competitive app and would have gotten in on the first try had they applied more strategically.

Reactions: 1 user