Do med schools send out IIs first to their most wanted applicants first?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t3705

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or is this an old wives tale?

I read that some schools rank applicants so I would assume for some schools it is true, but I don't know.

There are some adcoms here so maybe they can chime in and give their thoughts.

If the above is true it would make sense that the earlier iis have a better chance of acceptance. At least at first. Eventually those with multiple acceptances have to choose and that can open things up for the more typical applicant.

Or... Schools have a very good idea who is going to matriculate and so they can send out iis to students who are not tippy top applicants.

These questions and comments come up in my mind when I read thst schools like Miami and VCU rank applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

this is extremely school-dependent and you're not going to find one blanket statement that applies to all schools. but yes, some schools invite rockstar applicants early in the season, and keep more average applicants on hold until later in the season.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes.

Do med schools send out IIs first to their most wanted applicants first?
And generally, which candidates are considerd the "most wanted applicants'? URM s with average to decent GPAs and MCAT scores?

Or is this an old wives tale?

I read that some schools rank applicants so I would assume for some schools it is true, but I don't know.

There are some adcoms here so maybe they can chime in and give their thoughts.

If the above is true it would make sense that the earlier iis have a better chance of acceptance. At least at first. Eventually those with multiple acceptances have to choose and that can open things up for the more typical applicant.

Or... Schools have a very good idea who is going to matriculate and so they can send out iis to students who are not tippy top applicants.

These questions and comments come up in my mind when I read thst schools like Miami and VCU rank applicants.

Obviously..

I don't know. I'm interviewing with Baylor tomorrow and I have poor stats compared to their class (3.5 sgpa&cgpa, 35 MCAT).

So it's not always about stats.

my stats are baller but no schools want me because im a bad person