Do medical schools look badly upon...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
taking some lower level courses in your senior year. For example, if I take first, second year courses next fall with my senior level courses?

Members don't see this ad.

mac_kin said:
taking some lower level courses in your senior year. For example, if I take first, second year courses next fall with my senior level courses?

Personally, I saved those courses till my spring semester. It depends though... if they are your major courses it may look bad but free electives dont matter much I think. During my MCAT semester I took an introductory culture class and philosophy of star trek (an introductory which sounded easy but actually was very hard). If you need a GPA boost (who doesnt?) then I would say do it.

No medical school ever asked me about any of my courses. I think they care mostly about BCPM and overall GPA.

mac_kin said:

They do look at the level of the courses and the variety of courses when examining your transcript. Higher level courses are always better than lower. However, variety is good too. If you have nothing but sciences & your one English course, you might make an argument for a "200-level" in an interesting subject area. Don't take a course just because it is known for being an "easy A".

Dov said:
Personally, I saved those courses till my spring semester. It depends though... if they are your major courses it may look bad but free electives dont matter much I think. During my MCAT semester I took an introductory culture class and philosophy of star trek (an introductory which sounded easy but actually was very hard). If you need a GPA boost (who doesnt?) then I would say do it.

No medical school ever asked me about any of my courses. I think they care mostly about BCPM and overall GPA.

HOYA SAXA Dov! haha first gtown undergrad I've seen on these forums. congrats on columbia:)

Higher level courses are always better for admisisons. The med schools, like undergrad schools, note rigor, school type, etc. Don't overload on the upper levels, especially during the MCAT semester. That's just asking for trouble.