About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Do most State Schools prefer In-State applicants?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by Zyvox, Apr 14, 2008.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Zyvox

Zyvox

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Do all state schools prefer in-state applicants? I'm in the process of registering for classes and researching schools and the different requirements some of them have. I'm not a science major, so I'm taking extra classes that different medical schools prefer, such as genetics, molecular biology, embryology, etc.

I'm a florida resident and hopefully I'll be applying to all the six allopathic programs in the state of florida. At this point I'm looking at other schools in the US and wondering if, other to the state schools, my best shots are the private schools (which i think have no preference for in state or out of state applicants) How does it work with the state schools? I know most of them only take a small percentage of out of state applicants, but are there schools out there that have better statistics for out of state residents, maybe approaching the fiftieth percentile range?

Thanks thanks thanks and thanks
  2. pseudoMCAT45

pseudoMCAT45

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    not to be mean but...... DO UR OWN RESEARCH!!!
  3. Zyvox

Zyvox

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I will, but I like to get some opinions first...I think most of the questions on this forum could be answered with a little research ;)
  4. Ella Shepherd

Ella Shepherd Screen. Stage. Studio.

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yes, I believe they do. I don't know the stats but reading the info and FAQs on their websites help. :)
  5. bodonid

bodonid Dr. Spaceman

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    MSAR IS YOUR FRIEND.
  6. UofM527

UofM527

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I would say definitely get the new MSAR book whenever it comes out...and just look at how many instate vs out-of-state students matriculate every year...in general, yes, private schools are great to apply to, but several state schools also take large numbers of out-of-state students...for example, I'll be attending Ohio State next year, and I am not a resident...but they generally take about a 60:40 ratio of instate to out-of-state, with a large class...I know there are some other OOS friendly state schools so it is definitely worth checking into
  7. Zyvox

Zyvox

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Gracias!
  8. crazy4clana

crazy4clana

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yep, most of them are even 90% in-state preference. Your best bet is to apply to private schools OOS, their cheaper than out-of-state public school tuition.
  9. exi

exi EM, home of the cool kids

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Mhm.

Lots of state preference, though. State law requires that Texas public schools have 90%+ of its own residents, for example.
  10. bluesTank

bluesTank Zombie

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Typically public institutions will favor in-state students because they are funded by tax dollars that those students pay themselves (or their parents) and they want to pick up students who will tend to stay in that state. Private institutes typically don't care as much, although many still do take preference to in-state.
  11. HumidBeing

HumidBeing In Memory of Riley Jane Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor

hSDN Member SDN 2+ Year Member
    There are some private schools that do also lean heavily toward state residents. (Baylor? Emory?)

In the CA public schools, some allow few non-residents, while others admit a heavier proportion.

PseudoMCAT, prefacing your comment with, "Not to be mean," doesn't make it any less intentionally mean. If you don't like a question, don't bother to reply. The OP asked a legitimate question and doesn't deserve any disrespect for asking.
  12. pride4jc727

pride4jc727

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Let's not get nippy here. Wouldn't you want help if you asked for it here on SDN?

Anyways, in regards to your thread OP, don't apply to NJ schools as 99% of the class is composed of NJ residents. Sorry to give you this news, but good luck with your med school admissions voyage
  13. MassTransport

MassTransport

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I wouldn't say all, but most state schools do prefer in-state residents (I remember Texas's 90% law to be one of the more extreme examples). My advice would be the same as most of the above; that is, consult the MSAR, especially the school's selection criteria and its proportion of IS/OOS acceptances. You can grab the matriculation numbers online from the AAMC: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2007/2007school.htm

In my experience, UVa is very OOS friendly. DC schools also.
  14. 172858

172858 America = The New Texas

SDN 2+ Year Member
    rule of thumb:

if it operates on state tax money, it has a duty to fill the school with state students.
  15. pride4jc727

pride4jc727

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    DC isn't a state; it's a district. Not to sound smart.
  16. SCRdoc

SCRdoc

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    From what I've experienced so far, since I applied to some public schools, their first priority is in-state students. Then, they prefer OOS with state ties, either undergrad or family ties.